Should I buy this bag?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Slavist, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Hello! I don't have much money to spend, but I am considering buying this bag. I am no expert so any input will be welcomed. I am planning on using it mainly for kicking.

In addition, whould I buy the unfilled version? We have a lot of rags lying around, so that might be preferrable. Thanks for the input

http://store.titleboxing.com/canvasheavybag.html

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm not a big fan of canvas bags, personally. Have a look on eBay - I got a 5' leather one for £26 so I'm sure you can find a good deal in your area

3. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Avoid canvas.

Try to stick to a leather bag.
    Get one already filled.
    Save longer if you have to get a bag that will last you pretty much forever.

5. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

I'm a much bigger fan of standing bags for kicking as you can build up your speed and technique better with them by kicking in rapid succession without having to restabilize the bag. I bought an XXL wavemaster and I love it.

6. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

But if you can attatch a bungee cord to the bottom of your bag it is superior.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

wavemaster bags fall over. and besides, your opponent isnt going to be standing still when you do multiple kicks so why should the bag?

8. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Wavemasters just don't have the feel of a real bag. They are soft and spongy. A real heavy bag isnt so much... Just ask my shins.

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

that too, they arent really hard enough. theres a reason you wont find a wavemaster at pretty much any kickboxing or muay thai gym.

10. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

I know the difference between a hanging heavy bag and a wavemaster, I train on both, however there is nowhere in my house to hang a heavy bag. But to be honest I like the wavemasters more for throwing roundhouses into, again, because of how it lets you use the training method of throwing rapid successions of kicks into it. Yeah I much prefer a heavy bag for throwing punches, push kicks, knees or elbows... but it does the trick for at home.

Nah, the XXL version doesn't fall over from roundhouses, especially when filled with sand.

It's just to build up kicking speed, technique, balance, and power. It's a standard and important Muay Thai training method.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I am not seeing how you cant do this with a heavy bag or a banana bag...
    and thats another good point- the base means you cant stand close enough to do anything close range.

i dont know what the sizes are of the ones ive played with but every time they have either spent half the time on the brink of falling over, or just falling over. annoying. And I cant kick half as hard as some guys in my gym.

i have never seen a muay thai gym that uses wavemasters. because, they are a waste of space. a banana bag is better in every way.

12. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Because with a heavy bag it starts swinging heavily quickly and you have to stop to stabilize it, as for the base, yeah it does kind of get in the way which is annoying. As for the falling over, it's not much of an issue when filled with sand, and have you tried one of the XXL ones? As for Muay Thai gyms not using wavemasters... no kidding, why would they? The only think I like them better for is kicking successions, and for that you just get a padholder at the gym. But that wasn't the point, you were questioning the purpose of the training method of rapid succesions, in itself. That's what I was responding to. I agree, hanging bags are superior to wavemasters in practically every way, except that the wavemaster gives me the ability to train one of my favorite methods at home... where I have nowhere to hang a bag.

BTW: I immediately assumed he was talking roundhouses when he posted the thread just cuz that's what I'm so used to throwing mainly, and I usually post in the Muay Thai section. For other MA's styles of kicks though that are more of a pushing sort than a whipping sort though I wouldn't prefer it for kicking though obviously.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you have to stop to stabilise it? why? do you stop your training partner when he starts moving and say "hey buddy, can you just stand still while I kick you"

and besides, if its a REAL heavy bag, it aint moving much. if you can set a heavy bag (which is not the same as a banana bag, but im tired and wrote that anyway ;)) swinging wildly after a few kicks I know some k-1 guys who would be REALLY interested in what you are doing.

err no I wasnt. this is one of those things that pretty much every MT gym does. funnily enough I have only ever seen it done with pads and heavy bags, never with a wavemaster. the point of this thread was "should I get this bag" not "what is the best bag for doing kick combos"

so in summary? buy a hanging bag if at all possible :D

14. Ressla

Ressla Valued Member

Just to add to the points mentioned above- if you do have a heavy bag , hang it on as SHORT a chain as possible, otherwise it'll swing like a chimp, and you'll end up thinking you're alot better than you actually are.

Regards the Wavemaster, I've not seen the XXL ones, but i would prefer to put a 5 ft heavy bag against the wall and kick it if you're worried about hanging a bag. Thats assuming the walls arent too thin :p

15. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Century XXL Wavemaster:

[​IMG]

I saw these a while ago and thought to myself that this would be the only wavemaster I would ever think of buying because they are so huge. But as long as there is any chance of being able to hang a bag I would never get one.

I would much rather do this:

[​IMG]

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hate to say it but the picture of the bag posted above looks like multiple injuries waiting to happen.

Miss with a roundhouse and your looking at a broken shin or toes.
    Step wrong and you'll end up with a stubbed toe or worse.

.... and so much for working the bag. With the way the base is in the way... you are locked into one angle. Not very good for bag work.

Having never trained on one - I could be wrong... but man that thing looks dangerous as it is useless.

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I have to agree... you cant step around it, and I would hate trying any kind of live training with it (like swinging the bag and counter attacking.... you would bust your toe on something)