Should i Begin

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by ROokie, Jun 15, 2004.

1. ROokie

ROokie New Member

hi. im new to this kind of thing. Iv recently started jujistu which is a lot of fun and im okw ith that. My dads friend who is the ex world kick boxin champ at whatever wait has said he trains and i might go and train with him at kickboxing aswell as doing my jujjitsu. What im wondering is whether i should start kickboxing as im interested in learning to fight in the streets etc. All opinion welcome.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi ROokie,

Welcome to MAP.

What part of the world are you from?

I think you are lucky to be able to train with an ex world kickboxing champion and should take that opportunity.

As for "learning to fight in the streets", I don't think that is a good idea, unless you want to regularly meet with the long arm of the law. :D

Cheers. :)

3. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

...thats a rather creepy image of the police, a long arm...

4. ROokie

ROokie New Member

k i will take the chance, i guess it can only help n if i dont like it i could alwasy stop. and johnny hi..im from england and you

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

You can read my profile. How's about you fill in yours too. :D

6. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hello Rookie,

I agree with JohnnyX on both counts. You are very lucky to have the opportunity to train with an ex-world champ. But steer clear of fighting on the streets!

Have fun :)

7. markyg

markyg MAP Muppet

I do JJJ and kickboxing and find they go well together! :D

8. ROokie

ROokie New Member

whats JJJ?...and i just found something out. The kickboxing is on monday and thursday. My jujistu is on monday and football is on thursday. Dilemma!!!!..Waht should i do?

9. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Maybe you could train JJ or football at another day. Or are they restricted to the mon- and thursday? In the worst case, you may have to consider dropping one of the sports.
    You could also try to convince your friend's dad to give you private lessons. Good luck anyway :)

10. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

whipping sound *sarcasm* never saw that one comming XD;;

I've decided to go to the HBBA in aviemore to check it out btw, soi i'll be starting kickboxing soon-ish

11. thaiboxer

thaiboxer New Member

I learnt kickboxing as my first martial art and then went on to thai boxing, freestyle and kung fu. I find that the kickboxing gives a good base to any other MA as it develops good kicks and punches as well as building up reflexes.

N by the way Rookie. Surely martial arts has gotta be more fun dan football, especially if your getting a chance to train with a world champion.

12. ROokie

ROokie New Member

Theyre ranked equally.

Iv dedited alot to football iv been palyin in my team since i as 9 and im not willing to give it up just like that.

Hm ill ask if he trains in different locations on other days maybe.

13. Dave_Britten

Dave_Britten New Member

Hi Rookie,
    You sound like a young chap. Kickboxing is the way to go for fitness and basic fight skills. Brill as a first martial art and a good stepping stone to move on to other arts. If you are training with a world champion then even better.
    As for street fighting (Sorry guys but it does happen) Kickboxing will do ok for making you feel confident and as a result you will be able to put off all but the more serious attackers (worked for me anyway, I've never had to fight anyone outside of my job as a bouncer). Kick boxing won't help with armed or multiple attackers.
    Kickboxing is a sport but it does teach some invaluable lessons in distance, timing and how to absorb/project damage.
    Personal opinion (feel free to ignore), if you are under 21 do the kickboxing and train like hell.

Good Luck with whatever you chose.

Dave.

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

oh please. a trained kickboxer, boxer, muay thai fighter or any one of these "sport" fighters would beat the crap out of most other martial artists who do forms all day and punch the air. Looking at the local taekwondo, kung fu, and karate clubs, the ones I would be most afraid to fight are the boxers who train at our gym. the rest of them are 90% pussy.

15. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Hmmm...

I would ask you not to be so judgemental. Why don't you spar with them and find out? And remember they are not representative of all the MA's they represent.

And fighting is about aggression as you should know - just because you see someone doing forms all day doesn't mean if you annoy them, that they won't turn and go nutz on you. There is someone who is a famed brawler from my area who has trained in Karate and something else. None of the bouncers will touch him because they are so scared of him when he kicks off. This isn't because he does Karate but because he is a nutter - and thats it. Again, it isn't the art...etc..etc...ad nauseum

16. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

football! football!FOOTBALL!!FOOTBALLL!!!....wait..american or soccer /////if american u kick ass ....if soccer then it will help with stamina and endurance so try to balance all i did ma worked 2 jobs school and football(american) so u can too

17. Dave_Britten

Dave_Britten New Member

Rookie, As Ikken has demonstrated. Kickboxing does promote confidence however you must be careful not to allow youself become a macho aggressive which is a culture that is common in many gyms. There are benefits of being agressive in the ring but don't let it take over your life.
    Remember it's also about having fun, try the kickboxing and see if you like it. I enjoyed Muay Thai alot for the 5 years I did it.

cheers,
    Dave.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  18. fizz-lau

fizz-lau Valued Member

we teach both kung fu & kickboxing in our classes, the kung fu helps with the kickboxing & vice versa, without balance your kicks & puches would be rubbish, kung fu gives you the balance you need.
    trust me if you got into a fight with nev the dev who is a x world champ your butt would be kicked,he does both kung fu & kickboxing. please do not think us 'kung fu'ers' are a soft target cos you will learn the hard way :woo:

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yes, and he probably trains very hard. note that i said

"most other martial artists who do forms all day and punch the air"

not "all traditional martial artists who train full contact with resisting partners"

20. hakass

hakass Valued Member

Yeah, we have that kickboxing and kung fu mix at our club too, and everynow and then we are taught some form. But some of the form that iv seen people do makes them sweat loads and could be classed as a decent warmup if anything, so i wouldnt say its totally useless

-- and on a TOTALLY different subject, wud u recommend computer engineering dave? thinkin of doin it. Reply in woteva way.

-- Hack --