Should guns be outlawed?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jun 20, 2003.

?

Should guns be outlawed?

1. Guns should be outlawed

163 vote(s)
    45.4%
  2. Guns should be legal

196 vote(s)
    54.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southern jester

southern jester New Member

@- when the state of florida issued concealed weapon permits the murder and crime rate in general was reduced. never been to n.y.c. have co-workers that moved to ky. from thier point of view the media has mislead people into believing that murder rates have dropped. cant say i know that for certain as that is second hand info. yet i think people from n.y.c. would know more than either of us do about the subject.

2. outspokenreflex

outspokenreflex Valued Member

i dont think guns should be outlawed i do however believe they should be well regulated. i live in a conceal and carry state and frankly i wear a gun 99% of the time but i have a perment all of my guns are registered i know how and when to use them and ive never been the suspect in any crime.

its not like if i wanted to i couldnt have stolen or bought a gun illegly then just filled the cerial numbers off of it. stuck in the small of my back and said their it is. outlawing guns wont take them away from criminals it would take them away from law abbiding citzens trying to protect themselves from the criminals who already have guns.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That's an interesting point which I hadn't considered. Food for thought.

4. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Sorry, but this just doesn't sound like a good thing to me. It sounds like more oppressive government attempts to dislodge natural selection in the human race. If two people feel that they can lose their temper whenever they want, they will tend to do just that. If these same two people thought that it would likely cause one of them their life, perhaps they would be able to learn how to control themselves instead of allowing others the responsibility of controlling them. It is my firm opinion that the more responsibility you take away from people, the more irresponsibly they will act.

5. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Yeah, & who went to the Moon? Getting somebody up there is nothing, that's lke premature ejaculation. Does no one any good really, but it feels good for a sec.

Oh, & I would like some actual data behind your statements. Or YOU can stop talking rubbish.

6. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

It has already been proven that gun control doesn't reduce crimes. Here in the U.S. Get a clue :rolleyes:

Man, do some homework before you start getting hopeful about guns. You can hope in one hand & crap in the other, & see which one fills up first.

Try reading the American "Federalist Papers" before you start thinking you have a clue about what goes on in the US.

Besides, how has gun control affected violent crime in the UK? I hear that they're talking about outlawing LARGE KITCHEN KNIVES!!! Goes to show that you guys sure know what you're talking about... :rolleyes:

7. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

HA! That's funny, but strangely true. You mostly hear this kind of talk about adolescents or teens.

8. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

WORD!!! Tell it on the mountain, Bro!

& thanks for reiterating some of my points. I think some folks missed them.

9. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

UK Gun Control Data...

Here's an interesting site. Check it out.
    http://www.crimeinfo.org.uk/servlet...factsheet&factsheetid=102&category=factsheets

There's alot more data there. Look at it.

If you still believe in gun control, talk to LEOs in the U.S.
    Blind polls show that LEOs, from beat cops all the way up to dept. chiefs overwelmingly believe that arming law-obiding citizens is the best deterrent to violent crimes. & who would know better. Certainly not some of the people on this board.

Studies done by law enforcement agencies over on this side of the pond show that the numbers of non-criminals that commit crimes with their legally obtained firearms are almost nonexistant. One such area had over 300,000 concealed carry permit given out, and less than 10 individuals commited transgressions against the law bad enough to warrant the revoking of their licenses (Study done in Miami/Dade County)

For me, this argument is largely a waste of time, since criminals will use guns, even in the UK where it is illegal. If you let your government render you effectively impotent in the face of violent criminals, then you've made your bed, & you can sleep in it. In the US, however, there are many people that still believe in our inalienable right to protect ourselves through the responsible bearing of arms. & You can stop parroting all those BS feel good platitudes that your government has fed you so that they could disarm you. No one in the US is buying it. Besides, if we did, we may have never freed ourselves from an oppresive army that sought to perpetuate their subjegation of Americans. Know who I'm talking about? Yep, you guys, Great Britain. Of course your government wants you disarmed, you make much better sheep that way! :D

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira58.html
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob0109.html
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob81.html
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob65.html

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  10. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Sounds anti British to me ....

May I remind you we are saving your asses in the foreign wars atm.... Not bad for a bunch of sheep.

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

True enough. If you go over the edge and kill someone, they're no more or less dead than if you use a gun, a steak knife or a baseball bat, and you're still a murderer. 60% of stabbings are fatal, even in this age of advanced medicine. I don't like those odds.

This should be put in a book somewhere and read by everyone alive. True beyond the bounds of truth. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

All the LEOs that I know feel the same.

Note a story on the BBC the other day, about how the world of UK kids is shrinking, with parents never letting their kids out of sight. Most young children barely stray more than 100 metres from home, and only 9% walk home from school alone. Some are saying this is hampering childhood development. If the UK is so safe, why aren't children wandering around in complete safety? Why are parents so fearful? Surely the UK must be getting safer by the moment if law enforcement is so on the ball, and legislation so effective at curbing criminal behaviour.

There is a difference between feeling safe because of legislation, and being safe (or as safe as one can be) by taking appropriate precautions, acting wisely, and not abdicating the responsibility of safety to others. If we weren't interested in being proactive and thinking defensively, why are we all here, studying martial arts?

Best regards,

-Mark

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

doc jude - calm it down a bit please.

Oh, and don't start on the "we saved your asses in wars" thing ;) We only need one can of worms open per thread.

14. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

lol - couldnt resist :p

15. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Ha! Hows that? Military is not the civilian population.

BTW, I don't support the "war" in Iraq. Just thought I'd put that out there :)

16. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

I'm calm. If the colonies were under a gun ban, I wouldn't be enjoying the freedoms that I am now. That was my point. No more, no less. Sorry if it was minconstrued. :)

17. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Ask anyone that enjoys civil liberties similar to the US, they would probably say that the British Government has some decidedly "anti British" policies. It's already been posted above.

18. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Please note that another Mod brought this up, I didn't even touch it, but for some reason I need to calm down. But I'm not suprised, this kind of behavior seems typical of mods on this BB. I'm still getting used to it. See, in America, we like the idea of Checks & Balances, not All of the Bluebloods on High Sticking Together... :rolleyes:
    At least on Bullshido the mods mod each other...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  19. Armed Hippie

Armed Hippie New Member

Guns are not specifically and solely designed to kill other people. They are also used for competitions and hunting. Guns are tools, nothing more and nothing less, and you're the one at fault for nothing seeing this.

The will to ban firearms is based on fear, not on rational thinking and because of this no argument will win you and the likes of you over. Therefor I see no point in arguing over it as it will lead to no good but only cause irritation.

Peace, love and understanding.
    /Armed Hippie

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  20. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

LOL, I am not a mod or british and I love guns but Doc, remember, if you open the can, you get the whole can. Have fun with that. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.