Should Being Fast/Slow Twitch Affect Lifting Variables

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cxw, Dec 31, 2005.

1. cxw

cxw Valued Member

I've read stuff suggesting that slower twitch people should generally either use higher reps (e.g 8-12), or alternatively should have shorter rest periods between sets.

I was just wondering what the more learned members of this board believe when it comes to reps, sets and rest periods for different types of people. Or does it not really matter?

2. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I suppose it does matter, in that using a 70% of 1RM weight for a slow twitcher will be different than that of a fast twitcher. The slow twitch dominant person will be able to bang out 15 reps probably, whereas the fast twitch dominant person will probably get maybe 6-8?

Now, to your question: Yes, generally if you're slowtwitch you'll want to stay in the higher rep ranges, and fast twitchers will usually stay in the lower rep ranges. HOWEVER, it's good to train most rep ranges for both kinds. Just because you have more slow than fast, doesn't mean heavy singles won't help you out.

So it does matter, but it doesn't, if that makes any sense, because both types should train different rep ranges, it's just how much time they devote to a specific rep/set range that is different. Make sense?:D

3. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Yes it makes sense. It's reasonably consistent with my thinking. I'd be interested in hearing from fellow slow twitchers who've made large strength gains as to what their rep ranges have tended to be.

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I don't think most people know if they're slow vs fast twitch dominant since most people fall right about in between. And given the fact that despite what twitch dominant we are, we will always do better in the rep range we work in.

5. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

low reps for life baby

6. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

how do you even tell what your ratio is (without dissecting your own muscle)?

7. cxw

cxw Valued Member

You're right in that to truly tell you'd need to dissect your own muscles.

However, there are a few tests which can give a reasonable guess as to where you are on the spectrum:
    - Vertical leap (the higher the more fast twitch)
    - Sprinting versus middle distance running. When you were a kid, what were you relatively best at of the two
    - The 80% of 1 rep max (or is it 85%?) test where you see how many reps you can do. Once you're over 7 you're considered to be slow twitch dominant.