Shōrinji Kempo

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rmjim, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

There is a school near me that teaches Shōrinji Kempo. I’ve never heard of it except for what I’ve read online. Are there any practicioners that can give me more details? Is it effective? What exactly does it encompass? Are there lots of kata? From what I’ve read there isn’t any kata, but lots of back and forth defense training

2. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Still sad that there is only 1 school in Holland.

I think it is well rounded and fun style of Kempo.

I would try it for sure

3. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

What can you tell me about it? Is it realistic self defense?

4. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Most of the stuff I know is from video, but it comes across as alot of fun.

The main thing they use is punching, kicking and throws.

If the school is near you and not expensive as hell I would definitly try it. And about the realistic defense, when you aren't working in the military or law enforcement don't worrie to much about that.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's probably never going to get you to the point where you'll win MMA matches without a significant amount of cross training. It probably won't make you into the best self defence expert you can be either.

Neither of these points are good reasons not to try it out to see if you enjoy it.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Isn't there quite a strong philosophical/religious component to Shorinji Kempo?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No

But no art really is on its own, although those that tend to have an easier transition are wresting/grappling and full contact systems which SK is not

That said it does have transferable skills and always looked kinda fun to my eyes

For JUST self Defense? No
    For all the other glorious MA benefit? Sure

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Very much so

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Shorinji has lots of paired combination work, some sparring and lots of partner work, if your interested go and watch/take part in a class!

10. Rmjim

Rmjim Member

Are there kata you must learn? The local Sheriff owns the school

11. Dead_pool

Nope, not solo kata but the scripted pair work is their version of kata, and they do plenty of kihon practise too.

This is a good demo

Edit this is great

12. Kempo1975

Kempo1975 New Member

Shogei Toitsu Kempo which means, ‘all arts unified in Kempo’, or more appropriately, ‘all arts beginning in the one art of Kempo’.
    This refers to the idea that the original art of Kempo (Chuan Fa), which was established in China, was total and comprehensive. Since the monks who originated the art never knew what kind of situation they might be placed in, they developed an art that contained grappling skills, striking skills, and weapon skills.

The highest level of development is when the principles fit together seamlessly. The great flaw in the mixed martial arts of today is that they are a randomly gathered conglomeration of techniques which can be seen not to fit together. People try to do all of the martial arts by learning a little of each. This means they know nothing more than a little of a lot and so master nothing. Shorinji Kempo is apart of the Shogei Toitsu family.

13. Dead_pool

^ looks like a cut and paste from here,

Shogei Toitsu

Also home

"Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei is a martial arts system founded in 1982"

So it's just marketing flim flamary!

And also historical revisionism, Shorinji has a big input from hakko ryu, and has a section of judo and anti judo waza.

Which was added to the original gung fu!

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

For that it's worth, I don't think that "Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei" has anything to do with Shorinji Kempo. I've never trained in Shorinji Kempo, but a college TKD friend has done it for years and years, and that website doesn't look anything like what I understand Shorinji Kempo to be.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

Indeed, it looks like someone else trying to ride on SK's reputation.

The 'kempo' world seems full of this kind of thing.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's also very religious. Got a crucifix right in their association badge!
    In the words of Simon Cowell....that's a no from me.

17. Dead_pool

intro

Hahaha. Its a juko ryu spin off, stay well away from this!

18. Dead_pool

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

"I teach Kiyojute Ryu Kempo openly to people of all walks of life. The only requirement I have is that a person should have a fundamental belief in God in some form. A person who just does not believe in God cannot possibly reach the highest levels of the martial arts, since they are of a spiritual nature." -- William Durbin, founder of Kiyojute Ryu Kempo

Nobody tell this guy what Frank Mir thinks if religion. I'm not sure the lack of faith ever made Mir less successful as a martial artist...

(That said, I'm not sure why we're still talking about Durbin and his school, as it's not related to Shorinji Kempo)

20. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Is Shorinji Kempo the same as Kempo Jujitsu? Or are they different arts altogether?