Shorinji Kempo forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Kimpatsu, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Douché more like!

The Wing Chun guys have asked for this several times also.
    They received the same answer.
    They come under the 'umbrella' title of Kung Fu.

If you truly wish to have a Shorinji Kempo forum, we could host one for you for a nominal charge?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'm not going to be held to a definate number - and a sudden influx of press ganged new members and a brief flood of posts won't do it either. The Shou Shu guys have already been there :Angel:

I feel I must also point out that if it becomes apparent that you're deliberately poaching members from other forums to try to do this - we will not look on that in a positive light. I realise that you've just lost your position as moderator at Budoseek, but just relax, enjoy our site - all of it - and be patient. If it's warranted it will happen.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  3. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I also study Shorinji Kempo, and I think it would be cool to see a forum for it too. However, I do recognize that there isn't really sufficient interest on the site right now to warrant such a forum. Having said that, we should start stirring up more discussion about of Shorinji Kempo, Kimpatsu, and hope that more interested members will join because of it.

4. Andy Murray

Best way to get people interested?

Get involved in other discussions.

Show a willingness to learn and understand others MA, and their reasons for doing them.

The natural byproduct of this, is them showing an interest in you, and your own arts.

5. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Don't pour cold water on my jokes...
    The difference being that Wing Chun IS a style of Kung Fu; Shorinji Kempo is unique unto itself.
    You should pay us for gracing you with our presence. :D
    Do toher dedicated forums pay?

6. Andy Murray

Which dedicated forums would those be?

7. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Aikido, Capoeira, Jeet Kune Do, Hapkido...

8. Andy Murray

All of which have sub-styles and divisions.

9. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Ah, so you admit that they are styles in their own right! As is Shorinji Kempo...

10. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Actually I think he just told you that they where umbrella terms ;)

What substyles exist within Shorinji Kempo?

11. Andy Murray

Look mate.

We all got two arms and two legs if we're fortunate.

If you can fart Chi, breathe fire or telekinetically wipe your ass, then you definately qualify for a dedicated forum.

What I can't understand, is why you would want it.

Is it so you can have non-interrupted discourse between other practitioners of Shorinji Kempo?

12. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

None. Shorinji Kempo is an art unto itself. That's why I think it deserves its own forum. Nor is Shorinj iKempo a subset of anythign else, so it doesn't fit into any other forum. At the moment, we're forumless (boo-hoo! :cry: ). Won't you spare a thought for the poor little homeless, extrmely powerful, united, 1.5 million people in 30 countries... No, hang on a moment, that's not right... ;) :D

13. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

If I could fart ki and wipe my **** telekinetically, I'd be god... ;)
    Rather than say "non-interrupted", I'd put it this way: Non-Kenshi can't join in Shorinji Kempo discussions, because they lack the requisite background knowledge. I'm not saying that non-Kenshi shouldn't venture into the forum to ask questions, but they can't have a legitimate viewpoint on Shorinji Kempo issues any more than I can have one on Aikido or Kuk Sool Won, because I've never practiced those arts and don't know enough about them. Similarly, I can never argue with a doctor regarding his medical opinions, because I'm just not qualified. Nor can I argue with a lawyer regarding his legal opinion. For this reason, I never visit the dedicated forums on any MA-related boards, other than the Shorinji Kempo one, because there is no way I can contribute to the discussions therein.

14. Andy Murray

How would they gain this knowledge, other than by entering discussion?

Unless you have a bank vault to discuss your style in private, then I'm afraid this is going to be inevitable. Who'se to say their questions aren't valid, coming from a different set of life experiences?

Ah, but you can!
    You can look for parallels with your own experience, and ask respectful questions.

15. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

By being Shorinji Kenshi. I'm quite willing to write essays regarding Shornji Kempo, but I'm not going to write out the whole Kyohan here. (That's forbidden, anyway; only Shorinji Kempo 2nd dan and above may possess copies.)
    Rather than say invalid, let me rephrase. The only kind of questions I can envisage people asking are of the "what does this mean...?" variety; i.e., to have Kenshi supply non-Kenshi with a lexicon. There are strict limits to what ew're allowed to explain, anyway.
    Let me give you an example: On e-budo, we were discussing the various English translations of the Kyoten that are in use around the world. How can a non-Kenshi participate in that discussion? The most they can do is ask, "What's a Kyoten?" (The first person to say, "Bikkuri kyoten ****a" gets shot! :woo: :D )
    No I can't; butting into exclusive conversations would be rude; the only meaningful questions I can ask would be lexical ones, again. As I said, this is why the other dedicated forums are off-limits. I'm not an Aikidoka, karateka, or anything else. (BTW, what is the correct term for one who practices capoeira? Capoerista?)

16. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

So go set up a private forum and verify everyones rank and lineage before allowing membership. That secret keeping crap is pointless.

17. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

Far from pointless, Andrew, it's essential. The techniques one studies are like a weapon; you can't just hand a gun to someone and then pretend where they aim it and whom the shoot is none of your business. Your students are your responsibility, and as such, it is incumbent upon every branch master to ensure that their students are adhering to the correct code of conduct. As soon as we start letting go of control of our art, we'll have cowboys pretending to be Shorinji Kenshi when they aren't, and skilled people from other arts poaching techniques for misuse. If they use what is clearly Shorinji Kempo to commit a crime, then Shorinji Kempo is culpable. Thus the need for tight controls: to prevent just such misuse.

18. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

There exists nothing in Shorinji kempo that hasn't exist before and doesn't exist elsewhere. Same goes for any art.

Truthfully this whole we are our own, we don't share philosophy would scare me off right away. Secrets are kept by people with something to hide.

19. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

But it's the combination and codification that makes the art unique. Shorinji Kempo is recognisably different; this is why Shorinji Kenshi can identify each other even when we haven't met before. Did you ever see the movie "Sister Streetfighter", with Sonny Chiba. It's not very good, but the techniaues he uses against the dojo breakers (six men with waste paper baskets on their heads ;)), and the kata and embu performed beforehand are clearly identifiable as Shorinji Kempo; they can't be mistaken for anything else.
    You say that as if it's a bad thing. Just as you wouldn't give a gun to someone and then pretend that how they use it is none of your business, so you don't teach techniques to someone and pretend how they use those techniques is none of your business, either. Our name and logo are globally copyright; we protect our name jealously. So it is with our repertoire, too.

20. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I would have to agree with Tony. Shorinji Kempo is totally unrelated to other forms of Kempo. Different waza, different kata, totally different kihon, different terminology and different syllabus and study areas.

I don’t see it as being aloof or separatism, but rather as a place to discus our form of budo without getting into discussions where a terminology has been misinterpreted and responses start to cloud the original thread.

Shorinji Kempo is the biggest form of budo in Japan, WSKO is the biggest single budo organisation in the world, and I think it deserves its own area of discussion. There is certainly a lot of miss information out here in the west regarding it, so it could prove valuable to all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.