[shooting] New toy...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Mitlov, Sep 14, 2013.

1. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

If you get the extended mag, you have 8 shots with the XDs. seven in the mag and one in the chamber. That's what I have.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Gah, not only has the industry gone full polymer, but now this thread has too! ;)

Anyway, this made me chuckle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po4nZTO3ES4&noredirect=1"].45 acp Guns and The People Who Carry Them (Full Video) - YouTube[/ame]

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

1911's are the ones to own in any collection. I've yet to own one tho :(

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

It depends on whether or not your 1911 has a grip safety.. I used to carry one when I was living in the states that didn't have a grip safety and it was never carried in condition 1 (cocked and locked).. When I moved back overseas and replaced this 1911, I bought one with a grip safety which allowed me to carry cocked and locked with a round in the chamber.. The grip safety acts like a decocker and will only operate if the grip is squeezed and the hammer is pulled (depending on the work done on the internals) a lot of people used to deactivate the grip safety for speed purposes, but for the 40 plus years Ive been carrying one, I always have carried cocked and locked (with the exception of the first version I had stateside which didn't have the grip safety). The original 1911s issued to the military had the grip safety and if you are used to a big frame revolver, the grip fits right in like that should.. just a little additional squeeze action to disengage the grip safety and there you go.. I know a lot of people who activate both the slide safety and carry it in condition 1. With practice, you can flip that safety off as you clear the holster and achieve target.. Personally it depends on where I am going, but for the most part, my grip safety and my straight trigger finger are the only safeties I use on mine..

Plus I am not a fan of tupperware firearms

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

WWII US Army training video for the 1911! Some retro fun. And plus, notice how they teach the soldiers to pivot their body as a unit instead of turn. Body movement similar to what we did in Shotokan and in Wing Chun (and I'm sure many other martial arts).

Lots of differences from how things are taught nowadays (raising a straightened arm instead of extending from the sternum, off-hand holding like a teacup, and the heavy emphasis on one-handed shooting), but still fun to watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro7N7dAmjLY&noredirect=1"]Combat Handgun Training with the 1911 .45ACP - Army Training Film - YouTube[/ame]

6. lawin

lawin Valued Member

"The 1911 is an aficionado's weapon, and has a place in the modern arsenal for those who are dedicated to it. With proper setup and maintenance, the 1911 can serve you well." -Hilton Yam