Shogun vs Liddell: who wins?

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Doublejab, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Both of them need to win this to get in the mix for a title shot, both of them have recently had surgury and both of them have looked like they've struggled to find their best from in recent fights.

Personally i've got Shogun by UD, he'll out strike Chuck with a varity of strikes on the feet and also get a takedown or two, though he prob won't be able to keep chuck down for long. I think his cardio will be better for this one as his knee continues to get stronger and he can do more on it.

Unless Chuck catches him with a big one I don't see him winning. I think he's lost a fraction of his speed and his counter punching style relies on his hand speed. Shoguns got a great chin as well.

Could be a classic!

2. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Shogun better work on his cardio or else he might just get knocked out.

He just almost failed to finish a washed-up old man who was the most gassed fighter on the planet a few days ago.

If it took him 3 rounds to finish a washed up Coleman, Liddell is gonna be much more of a pain.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

i dont remeber watching shogun fight recently so i cant say for sure. Either way i hope chuck wins

4. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

This sounds so ridiculous, but Liddell has much better cardio. Shogun has looked awful since Pride. I don't see how Liddell would lose this fight other than being careless and getting knocked out in the first two minutes (although he's shown that's possible).

5. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Chuck does best against guys who try to close the distance with him. Guys who stay on the outside and counter-strike are the ones that give him fits. Shogun generally is a very aggressive fighter, rushing in to flurry, clinch, or take down. I'm not sure Chuck can pull the trigger like he used to, but unless Shogun studies footage of Liddell and starts to leg-kick the crap out of him, I think he might suffer his first KO loss. I certainly don't see him getting Liddell to the ground, or really overwhelming him with a flurry.

6. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

round 2 KO or TKO to shogun.

7. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

My money is on Chuck.

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Shogun needs to do like a cardio intensive.

9. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

if shogun catches him in the clinch then he should have no problem taking him out. chuck has never shown that he can deal with a solid muay thai clinch. remember his fight with overeem? once overeem got him in the clinch he was getting killed. but then i think overeem gassed :rolleyes:

10. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Shogun looks shot. His injuries have really rusted him he looked horrible against Mark Coleman. I'm still very disappointed.

But.. Liddell is probably even worse off. I think he's got too many things goin against him. He's been knocked out twice in the past year or so and he's was roughed up by Keith Jardine.

I think Liddell psychologically hasn't recovered from those knockouts. Even worse he hasn't really made any adjustments in his fighting style or training from what i've seen of him lately. He's still to right hand happy.

Plus the usual criticisms of his slowing down and aging blah blah.

Really whoever loses this one needs to quit the sport but my money's on Shogun