Shoes for messed up feet

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Emil, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

After having nackered my ankle a few months ago, i have had the cast removed, and have noticed that my feet are of severely different lengths, due to the way that my foot has set. My good foot is a size 8, and my bad on is a six and a half! :cry:

I need to get myself some new boxing boots and running shoes upon my return to active training, but naturally, this difference in size will be problematic. Short of having shoes specially made to size, or buying two seperate pairs of shoes, do you guys know of any kind of inserts that may fill out the gap between my toes and the end of the shoe? Im considering making one out of duct tape and some cotton balls or something, but if there is already something on the market that I am not aware of, id like to check that out first.

Regards
    Emil

2. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi Emil,

I strongly recommend investing the time and money for a consultation with a sports podiatrist.

Problems with your feet can cause major problems (knees, hip and back). A decent podiatrist will be able to help you avoid future injuries.

I speak from experience, having had lengthy time off training from this sort of thing :(

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Hi Sandy thanks for the input. I have regular visits to a physiotherapist and an orthopaedic surgeon (the one who operated on my foot), but have not yet seen a podiatrist. I think you may be right though - I may need to invest some time into seeing one at some point.

Cheers
    Em

4. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I would go with a wide bottom mid trail shoe not real heavy but not extremely light.One that if needed you could wear a brace and still have comfort.If you can comfortably lace all the way up a mid shoe the added support may keep from turning the ankle on a small rock or some other type of object.
    Something along the lines of a shoe like this. imo
    But definitely Not a narrow soled shoe.

Attached Files:

5. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi again,

Yeah, I very highly recommend you invest some time into seeing a podiatrist too. You'll get an important perspective on avoiding further injury. What's more, the podiatrist will sort out your insoles for you.

Any podiatrist should be OK. However, a few podiatrists have an additional qualification in sports podiatry: it might be worth tracking one down (if there is one local to you).

I'd definitely avoid the Heath Robinson approach to insoles! This seems guaranteed to cause you major problems not far down the line.

Once you've got custom insoles from a podiatrist, your shoe choice will be influenced by which shoes are convenient for insoles. Again, any decent podiatrist can advise. For trainers, normally you'll want "neutral" shoes that don't add or reduce the support provided by your insoles. In your case, however, the podiatrist may have specific shoe recommendations.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011