Shodan

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Virtuous, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Well, my instructor anounced last night that I will be testing for shodan Dec 11. Not really sure how I feel about it to be honest.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'd be excited about it.
    You must have known it'd be coming, right?

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

In what respect mate?

BTW all the very best in your examination.

For what it's worth, remember when your being tested, the mat belongs TO YOU express yourself though the techniques you apply. Work at a pace that suits you. Pause between the kansetsu waza to give yourself a few seconds composure and breathing space.

Quality of movement rather than quanity of technique

Regards

Dave

4. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

If you dont want to do it you dont have to, but your teacher must feel your ready for it. I take it you have been doing kyu grades? then you must have know this time would come.
    Best advice i can give you is from now until then practice your test over and over every day with people and on your own, keep doing it, when you think you have done plenty practice then do some more and more, keep going until its all you know, then even more. get your self into a zone for the test so when you start it you have already done it 1,000 times, you will still be nervous but no that much in stead you can enjoy it. i practiced mine every day for 2 months, but i was doing uchi deshi so i had all the time in the world.
    GOOD LUCK MATE
    SUK IT UP..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2004
  5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Congrats, hope you do well :D

6. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Yeah, I've known its been coming for a while now.

What I mean by when Im not sure about how I feel. Im excited, nervous, anxious, and a whole mish mash of other emotions. Havent felt like this since testing for 5th kyu :D

7. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

God Luck. Your sensei must be sure that you are 110% ready, so go for it!
    Try to get a video - you'll treasure it later on. Go for digital/dvd storage - my gradings were on video tape, which is now even more screwed up than me!