Shins still not used to the 300!

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by KaliKuntaw, Dec 7, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I had good training night and got in my 300+ round kicks ( low and high) on my heavy bag last night.
    My shins are still not used to the work but i did improve both in power and i did not feel pain this time around from the impact. My insteps and shins did however swell with small amount of seromas.
    No problems a good rub down with my thai oil didnt take care of.
    Im surprised that my shins still get puffy after the 300 round kicks.
    Oh well....at least there was no pain to slow down my power shots.

I have been training for many years but i have not been doing 300 rounds on heavy bags. I used to break up the 300 into different kicks.
    But since i seek to condition my shins i have decided to concentrate heavy bag work to conditioning shins mostly. Flowing in the art of 8 limbs is tricky but im getting there. My time in JKD has given me a solid base but the difference in conditioning is fantastic.

Anyway, do you use thai oil after a training session?
    I have been making Dee Da Jow for a few years and this year started making my thai oil here at home. Bot have their uses. If you havent used either for bruising you might want to give it a try.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

My Thai instructor told me they rub their shins with fresh Red Tummeric root to aid in conditioning of shins. He also warned it would stain my shins red. I never tried it because I could never find any to buy. That was quite a few years ago now, you could probably buy some online now.

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Not a lot of shin conditioning is needed in Muay Thai,just kick the heavy bag as you are doing and kick some good sturdy Thai Pads thats enough,Its far more important to NOT kick the opponents blocks!:)

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

My partner got a lovely accidental knee in his instep last night!.....oops
    Poor guy was limping the rest of the training....hahahaha
    He had on some shin guards so it wasnt too bad.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Ihave some good purple bruises on my shins this morning!...lol
    Gotta love delayed sorness!

6. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

True but your shins are gonna be like bats once the nerves die and the microfractures in your shins heal

7. daggers

daggers Valued Member

On the original contender series I remember yodsanklai after one fight came back with a massive lump on his shin, in pain.
    It doesn't matter how many kicks you do against the hardest of materials, or how much potions you rub on your shins if you kick someone's elbow or knee you will be in a great deal of pain.
    As fire cobra said, you can condition to an extent but never to make them invincible

Train light sparring with no shin pads on, this will force you to control your kicks which ultimately will save your shins

8. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Potions?
    No, not potions.
    Treatments to speed the healing process.
    I do not believe that my conditioning has anything to do with killing nerves, or invincible kicks. I condition my shins and my leg muscles with many repititions in order to build endurance. Endurance for sustained fighting and the ability to endure pain.

I work hard on endurance because i am a mud runner, i teach martial arts, and i want to keep my old butt in decent shape.