Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, May 30, 2007.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

So i think i have shin splints. I think alot of it is from running (doing about 20-30mins every second day, and i tend to run a bit retardedly on my left foot which is the only one effected)
    Also i dont think the gymnastics training is helping either.

Im keeping training to a minimal, im still doing light training, just nothing overly intense on my legs.

Has anyone had this before?
    How long does it usually take to go away?
    Anyways to aid in recovery? (other than the obvious rest)

Thanks in advance

kool_aid

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I had 'em back in high school,from spending a lot of time on our soccer field, which was hard as a rock.I also walked miles and miles, and it's pretty hilly where I'm from, which meant in town I often walked up and down hills on concrete.I didn't know why my shins felt like they had nails being driven into 'em.

Sorry I can't remember how long recovery took,but mine were pretty bad.I didn't finish intramural soccer that year.Thank heavens it was in the spring,not the fall.

SO-tape across the front of your shins, don't run for awhile(maybe bike?),never practice,even T'ai Chi, on hard surfaces,when you do run again,try running only on dirt/grass.Wood gym floors are ok,as they have some give.I remember some years ago reading a letter from a Hsing I beginner who practiced on a concrete pad behind where he lived.Messed up his shins and his knees.Ouch.

Basically, you just have to give your bones the time to meld back in place.Maybe somebody else has more info to hasten the process.

3. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

cool, thanks for your swift response.

I just did a search and found an interesting thread (probably should have done so in the first place) so any mods feel free to lock/delete this thread.

4. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

used to have them all the time...the bane of my highschool track season...then one year they just went away. maybe senor year.