shin splints...

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by joejitsu, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Thanks to 'do it by the book' no nothings like you too I suffered from shin splints for two years, too afraid to just push through as I was scared of stress fractures.

Here's another bit of advice. GP's don't care at all if your shins hurt. My GP didnt even realise they were shin splints or more specifically in my case medial tibial stress syndrome. They will tell you to stop running at best.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Would it be fairer to say that your GP didn't care, rather than all GP's don't care?

3. Axelator

Maybe but all my experiences with the NHS have been bad, especially GPs who just seem eager to fob you off and get you out the office asap instead of trying to find out what's wrong.

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'm with axelator on this one, actually, for three reasons:
    1. He's right. GPs don't give a damn if your shins hurt a bit. Go and see your GP about that and he'll likely tell you to come back when you have a real problem. Basically, anything short of a sprained ankle and they don't want to know- and with good reason. There's only so much time and money to go around, and they don't want to waste it on problems that will heal themselves.
    2. All this 'go to a doctor instantly and stop bothering us' crap is designed to disguise a lack of expertise in treating minor injuries. Athletes need to be capable of diagnosing and treating such minor ailments, or they won't last very long. Yes, there's a certain element of hypocrisy involved here, given that I've recently had a string of minor injuries that were entirely preventable, but my point stands.
    3. Everybody gets shin splints at some point. Sometimes you just need to man up and quit whining. The other thing that really helps is to recognise what you're doing wrong and to stop doing it.

5. Simon

The problem with that advice though is it is what is good for you.

A coach should recognise what is best for the client, rather than just have them do what you do becuase you have had results from it.

Telling someone to man up without having met them and talked through their injuries is foolhardy at best.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Speak for your own GPs. Mine were pretty helpful. Sure, if you present it as "My shins hurt a bit", they're going to recommend rest, but if you say "Whenever I run, I get pain in my shins, what can I do to prevent this in the future?" then they'll check and tell you.

Shin splints aren't uncommon. If your GP doesn't know what causes them or how to treat and prevent them, you need to move to a different clinic.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I suppose you're right to an extent- It's hard to gauge how bad somebody else's mild injury is, especially on the internet. But in a country where, unless you have the money to go private, the available medical care is inadequate to deal with the problem- or at least to deal with the problem before it becomes a more serious one- we do need a bit more advice than being told to go see the quack.
    *shrug* maybe it's different in other clinics then. But my experience with doctors is that they're not really interested in sports-related injuries and tend to them them as being self inflicted.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

this is the difference between a coach and the random guy who gives you advice about the gym (usually the big guy in the gym with mad genetics).

9. Simon

Offering advice over the internet is no different to me than if you came and met me and asked for advice.
    If I don't know the answer I will give you details of those who do.
    A good coach will have several contacts in different fields.
    Just because I may not have the answer does not mean I will say, "stuff it, you sort out your own problems."

10. holyheadjch

I don't know what country you live in, but I live in the UK, where we have one of the highest standards of healthcare in the world.

GPs are a bit snotty about MA injuries, which I think is fair enough, you walk into a surgery complaining that it hurts every time you get punched in the face, you deserve a little attitude, but for running injuries, or cycling injuries, swimming injuries, they are more than accommodating. Probably because they'd much sooner see to my dodgy shins than a fat person's dodgy knees.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i always go to the minor injuries ward for sport injuries as they usually give better treatment and x-rays immediately if they're even slightly worried.

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

To the OP, have you tried a forefoot running style with minimalist shoes or barefeet. Born to Run claims that it prevents these sort of running injuries. I've always run on the balls of my feet and never got shin splints so I can't make the claim of having cured them but it might be worth a look. Going barefoot also seems to strengthen the arches of your feet. Have a look at this link for some info.

Of course I echo what the others say and see your doctor to get fixed but its possible this may help.

Have a look at these links
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flat-feet-treatment/#axzz1kylN2wxQ
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/even-if-the-shoe-fits-forget-it/#axzz1kylN2wxQ
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/even-if-the-shoe-fits-forget-it/#axzz1kylN2wxQ
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/condiments/#axzz1kylN2wxQ
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-prepare-for-barefooting/#axzz1kylN2wxQ

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. holyheadjch

I've been tempted to try barefoot or POSE, but since I've fixed my main problem with orthotics, I'm loathe to risk trying anything new.

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

A word of warning about going minimalist - make sure you easy into it very gradually. I gave myself shins splints by doing too much too soon with minimalist trainers.

As for GPs, mine has usually been really quick to refer me for physio or an x-ray or a consultation following a sports injury. However, I always make sure that when I go, I explain the injury, what I think may have caused it and stress that I've tried RICE etc on the injury and it still doesn't seem to be getting any better, so it doesn't seem that I'm just moaning over a minor tweak that could be treated by rest etc.

15. boards

Yeah, who wants to change something that fixed their problems?

16. boards

Really?
    When I have started running after a break I feel it in my achilles to start off with rather than my shins. That being said I definately agree with going very gradually, everyone I know who has tried it says it uses different muscles to running on the heels. As most of my running has either involved tennis where you are constantly pushed to be on your toes, or mucking around on the beach or the yard barefeet, I have never had to swap from one to the other. Whether I am in shoes or not I still run on the front of my feet, so I have no experience in the different muscles used.

17. Axelator

Maybe my GPs just awful then. I walk in and go 'could I get refered to a physiotherapist I have shin splints'. He asks where the pain is and I after I tell him along the insdie of the shin he chuckles to himself to tells me it's not shin splints because you only get pain on the outside of the shin with that and to come back in 3 months.:bang::bang:

18. righty

righty Valued Member

But that's the trouble you just walked in with your own diagnosis and you didn't ask for a diagnosis from the GP.

It's a bit difference between "could I get refered to a physiotherapist I have shin splints" and along the lines of what Frodo did which was "Hey doc, I'm having this pain in my shin and it flared up with I do this activity. I've tried the generic treatments without result but the pain has still been there for a while and as a result I think it's likely I have shin splints. What do you think? I think it might be worth while seeing a physio to get ongoing treatment." If you had mentioned the possibility of a stress fracture you might have got a better response as well.

But the truth out of this is that shin splints while relatively common also have the same set of symptoms as some other bad stuff. As it stands it sounds like Joe has made a self diagnosis rather than even trying to get advice from a medical professional.

19. joejitsu

joejitsu Valued Member

You're right, was self diagnosed but I thought from previous experience I knew the symptoms well. I think from the various comments my best option is to lay off leg work till I can get to my doctors and see what they say. Fortunately my GP is pretty decent and has always been straight up with me.

Thanks for everyones help and advice, and for pointing out that I shouldn't have assumed it was shin splints and should have checked in with my GP.
    *tucks tail between legs*

Joe

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I wouldn't recommend anyone do POSE or barefoot running without a very long, slow gradual break in on a grass pitch. I've done a lot of experimenting with the Vibrams 5 Fingers shoes and with just plain bare feet. I've run my whole life and touch wood... never had any injuries. Even after long layoffs and then back to longer trail runs.

But I can say... I don't think a very good portion of people are ready to jump into barefoot running on pavement right away. Your body takes a fair bit of time to adjust. Your gait and your land all change... thus your motor memory is playing catch up. The body's weight coming down on your foot on something like asphalt is no joke. Concrete even worse.

Discretion is definitely the better part of valor in this case. I don't discourage barefoot running... but I just think it needs a massive dose of common sense. Break yourself in gradually over a number of weeks with several sessions a week on a grass pitch paying strict attention to your landing. You'll be surprised... it's very tough.