Shin kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Jordan, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Didnt say you had to delete the post. Just said it would be wise to. But if you dont want to dont.

And Desert Eagle because of rap music, recognition of the fact that the best fighters...?? the fact that the best fighters what??

Where do you live??

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  2. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

Sounds to me like he is some kind or a getto gangster. I got nothing to say to this pure anoyness or a very what can i say "thoug" like behaveior. Look if you think that you are a bad ass,fight like a man and don't come in this posts and tell us you are getting us shot. You are nothing more than a very very arrgont man or ( a 12 year old kid). Grow up. I think i might pray for you, pray that you learn to be humble and have some honor. Look this is not a place for rude like behavior if you got something to say you need to be more like a normal human being. ( you think a warrior can be stoped with a gun if some one had the will power then can be shot several times and still live.

Grow up!!

3. alexxlea

alexxlea Valued Member

Death threats get you arrested around these parts.

4. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Ok, it's not that serious, I'm just clowning around. Thanks for the prayer offer, I'm about to go pray for myself. I'm not from the ghetto, I'm no gangster, never even held a gun :D Life is good.

"you think a warrior can be stoped with a gun if some one had the will power then can be shot several times and still live."

Man, get that stuff out your head, a bullet will seriously disrupt bodily functions. If it disrupts a function that is necessary to survival, you will die. It is as simple as that (yes, back to being rational now). It has nothing to do with a warrior or warrior spirit. Almost all the people who get shot die there ... it kinda sucks. And no I am not going to shoot anybody, stop worrying.

And I'm grown, don't really have a choice.

5. Scarlet Mist

Was my post tampered with? What I meant to say was that the best fighters will die if previously mentioned bodily functions are disrupted. It sucks, people get shot so much, it's about 2 everyday ... just makes one feel kinda powerless ... ahh ... this is not the time or place .. Peace

6. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

lol sorry your post wasnt tampered with. Think your thoughts jump ahead of your typing. Dont worry about it happens to the best of us. :D

Should try not to let things like that shooting get to you. Make you paranoid and crap. I live in a a huge city with lots of crime. For example a something some of you may have heard of, the Marcus Wesson mass murder trial. That guy killed 9 of him familiy members. Happened not more the 5 blocks from my house. Just dont let crap like that bother you too much. And being a little paranoid may not be a bad thing anyway.

7. Scarlet Mist

Yeah, Scarlet was a little intoxicated last night, my bad. Yeah.
    There was a police shooting, one shot fired, one of my former schoolmates took it in the head. The kid probably saw something they the cops didn't want him to see. Sucks when it's the police that's taking people out ...anyway .. I think this is for a diferent thread

8. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

"Blows four in you?" Is that a threat on my life?

on topic though, remember that to each his own. i think someone who would threaten someone else on the forum should at least understand that everyone has different opinions. live with it.

and, just to be a good sport, i give you credit for being able to save your own skin from a banning. tip my hat to you, pal. :D

9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I've got a question :confused: :)

How can you dodge sidekicks, but not the MT roundhouses? Especially when the sidekick is the finisher of a combo?

I am just wondering because Muay Thai roundhouses leave you vulnerable for a split second, and they telegraph a lot since you are putting your whole body into that powerful kick

10. Scarlet Mist

Yes, to Blow four in someone actually means to blow four in them. Scarlet has again imbibed significant quantities of alcohol and suffers from slightly impaired judgement at the moment, again. Liquor is a vicious thing .... anyway. .. I don't really care about being banned or whatever ... and no, I am not going to shoot anybody. Yet. Crap, my head's wobbling again. Oh, crap, I if water will help ...

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

You can dodge anything (within reason), if you have fast enough footwork, Side Kick, Roundhouse etc. Just a fractional movement will get you out of the way.

Can be a better tactic to catch side kicks, as they are a gift in terms of counter-throws, reaps etc. As they are a 'Thrust' movement they are generally easier to slip, parry, catch, re-direct etc, if coming in at the Mid-Level.

12. Scarlet Mist

This is a question. For all that may feel like jumping on me ... THIS IS A QUESTION. Since MT roundhouses are blowing thru the target, why can't I just catch it ... should be kinda like catching a cricket ball coming at your face. Sure it will knock all your teeth out if you let it hit you, but catching it's easier to catch since you don't even have to move towards it.

13. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

to answer ur "question" scarlet, it's because mt practitoners condition and practice, without focusing on flying kicks. they train every part of their arsenal, piece by piece. so if you can catch one of their thai roundhouses, good for you. i hope your fingers don't break on the impact, and that you're fast enough to catch the left hook coming at your face.

14. Scarlet Mist

So let's say subject A catches subject B's thai roundhouse and jumps back holding the leg? Doesn't that put the MT fighter down.
    Anyway, this is going to be pointless since you have an obvious bias. Not everyone does flying kicks and not everyone neglect parts of his arsenal.

15. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

what if, scarlet, is not "i've done". in any self-respecting fight, a fighter will not stand there motionless while a flying kick smacks him in the head. it's just too damn stupid to happen. and you have no right calling a bias, because i'm merely stating common fact.

16. Scarlet Mist

I think you misunderstood me.
    "Not everyone does flying kicks"
    That's what I said, in response to your saying "mt practitoners condition and practice, without focusing on flying kicks".
    What that should mean is that MT fighters are not the only ones who practice without focusing on flying kicks.

You're stating a common fact?

Is that fact the premise that catching a MT fighter's round kick will break your fingers, or that his right hook will knock you out?
    I say you're biased because you are yet to admit that it is possible that the rh may be countered by a lock, in fact, you're yet to yield anything.

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Roundhouses are caught all the time in Muay Thai. The most common counter being under the arm, with a slight move off-line to negate some of the power, the arm loops over and clamps tight. There are many alternatives, but this is the most common and basic one.

Problem for the Kickcatcher from there is the response. You catch and then say Knee to their body, or elbow their caught leg (A 'Dirty pool' Ring technique) or (pick something) and then throw, reap, or Pivot back and Circle throw etc etc.

But the Kicker will try to pull you close into their counter punches, or try to weigh their leg down, so that you end up letting go. Or collapse their leg into a Shin Ride/ Stop and attempt to clinch with you etc.

It's all specifics...and theoretical.

The point is you capitalise on your situation and they try to capitalise upon theirs.

A side kick is essentially easier to capture because it is a Thrusting motion. Thrusts are generally easier to parry and/ or capture because of their nature.

Also the side kick can put you in a very bad position Ringwise, the body is turned side-on can easily be spun and/or the supporting leg hacked away.

This can also happen with a caught Roundhouse, but is marginally more difficult to do because of the mechanics going on.

As I say, from a ring perspective the Side Kick is a more risky Kick to throw, as soon as you bring any form of Kick-catching/ Grappling into the equation.

For 'Self-Defence' POV it is a decent enough kick, particularly with shoes on and ratched low into the shin.

18. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

forgive me if i'm wrong, but aren't ur other hands holding the kick? which in turn would lead to the rh, then the possible lock, then the knee...the list goes on.

and u said, starting this whole argument, that you could catch a MT kick. then you are suggesting, albeit as an example, that the roundhouse kick would break your fingers. and a rh wouldn't probably knock you out, but it would loosen your grip on the leg, allowing him to break free.

19. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

For side kicks all you need is side step. Very simple to see comeing, i have fought with fast sidekickers and its very hard for them to land this kick becuse the oppent never stays and blocks this kick all he needs to do is move away. But a Roundhouse can travel some times a half a circle so it is very hard to conter it, at times. So to land it wouldn't take as much effort as a sidekick would. The other thing is when you trun to the side you got no punchs to conter with if you miss. A roundhouse you can kick and punch in a good combo. Side kicking is also a risk to get kicked with a low kick to your standing leg. Its also possiable with a roundhouse kick but at least you got your fists to protect you. Plus the sidekick can be blocked and not cause that much damage, jsut like the back kick in TKD all you need is to put your arm by your stomach and it blocked. A Roundhouse kick can be blocked but it can hurt your arm pretty bad. The Roundhouse kick can be used in many diffrent ways but the Sidekick only is used for thrusting to your oppent. I have used the sidekick but to me i only use it as a defense so a bigger oppent than me can't get near me. Becuse i got long legs so push kicks and sidekicks sometimes help me in defense but other than that i never really use sidekicks for offense. My attcking push kick is with my heal so its allmsot like a ax kick but it attcks the stomach of my oppent. I also use the ax kick in many ways and i think its one of the most good kicks to use becuse not many fighters every expect a attck from above. All and all i would have to say the sidekick is a good defense move but is very riskly.

20. Scarlet Mist

I've blocked roundkicks with my shins, no problem. Tried to block a side kick and the shin just went back - way back. I think both kicks have their advantages and disadvantages, but I'll never stop using my sidekick.