Shin kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Jordan, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Stealth

Stealth New Member

What if they sidekicked you in the knee? Or in the leg muscle right below the hip? I guaranteed you that you wouldn't be the one smiling :D

Sadly, people in Tae Kwon Do aren't trained to side kick (or for most people, kick at all) in the knee or leg for self defense purposes.

I have seen one person defending one roundhouse, and another defending another roundhouse. Why not mix techniques? The Muay Thai roundhouse was made to devastate an opponent, but the snapping TKD roundhouse was made because the powerful kick was too slow, and you can see it coming.

TKD may be mostly sport, but don't say they can't generate power, because to score a point in a match you have to physically move the opponent. And it's tiring getting your leg above belt level.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Side Kicks to the Knee aren't all they are cracked up to be, particularly from a Muay Thai POV (That's this Forum), as your (the Fighter Being Attacked) leg is bent, therefore Sidekick to the knee is a daft tactic against a 'Thai' Fighter.

It's not bad as a 'Stop' to the legs-to stop the fighter coming forward, but is risky and that's why you don't see it in the Ring.

Decent enough tactic for self-defence against a seemingly un-trained attacker, particularly if their leg is straight. But a much better kick from that POV in my Opinion is the Savate Kick 'Coup de Pied Bas'.

Although there are Side Kicks and Side Kick like kicks in the The Thai and Burmese arts, they are for usage mainly as 'self-defence' style techniques, or used as counters in some 'Classical' techniques during Kick-Catches (used as the response). Used to stamp on the inside Knee Joint of the Supporting Leg of the Kicker.

Side Kick to the (muscle just below the) Hip? What the's point???

3. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

yes sometimes those side kicks do not faze an opponent at all. Different people have different tolerance levels. The only types of side kicks I'd use and stick with are fast low-line types to the shin and maybe the knee joints - stop kicks, piston style kicks, hacking kicks to the sciatic, kicks to the groin, Savate types (chasse bas, coup de pied bas) or like those in Pananjakman, perhaps - and preferably with a nice hard shoe. Only because I have used them before in real situations and they've proven to cause a considerable amount of pain. Unless you're dealing with a completely clueless individual, most strong folks with square hips are not going to get stopped with a simple kick to muscles below the hips. From a self-defense aspect yes sure it's ok to do that and buy a little time to follow up with something else, but I'm looking to punish from the get-go.

4. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I think you'd have to bend your knee a lot to have it not broken from a sidekick. Anyway, if somebody's legs were bent, I would kick that muscle above the knee. And true, many people have different tolerance levels, but if somebody cannot feel pain in their thigh, or that muscle in the front of their leg below the hips and above the knee, you don't have much chance of winning anyway. He might be high, so I would run away.

If not to hurt somebody's leg, I would use this to move the person backwards, or to keep him from rushing in, or like you said, nicolo, to gain some time to get ready to follow it up with something else.

Also, another reason why the chamber kick was developed is probably because in Tae Kwon Do and Karate (I think) people train to avoid kicks completely. If you were to do a powerful kick that spun you around if you missed your target you would probably get punched in the face by the time you recovered. Like someone said in an earlier post, there is a Muay Thai way and a TKD way. But if you find someone who trains in both he will probably beat them both

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

First off, Sokklab, Scarlet bets if you caught a proper sidekick, heel and all in the rib cage or solar plexus, or sternum you would not keep on walking. Secondly, everyone here has been saying chambered kicks are weak, they are not. If you do it properly they pack loads of power.
    Scarlet does not do TKD, he does CLF and all his kicks are chambered. Chamber knee, and while pivoting hit flush on the target while aiming for a spot a foot back. TKDokas have real powerful kicks (Scarket would make a reference to the guy who got kicked in the head, helmet and all, but was killed). The chambered kick is not weak, while the thai kick is powered by a twising of the hips, the chambered kick is powered by a pivot. As for a sidekick to the knee, if you get hit from the side (so the knee in question goes towards the other knee, something is likely to break).

6. SoKKlab

Hmmm Sokklab wonders why Scarlet continually and bizarrely refers to him? self in the Third Person. Is Scarlet suffering from Schizophrenia or a Bad case of Piles????

Secondly Sokklab will gladly Spar with Scarlet to show him? the error of his ways. Sokklab would be glad to provide this public service and has done many times.....

You don't know me, you've never met me. You know nothing about me. So don't tell me what I'm capable of. Best not to assume anything about Sokklab, Hokay???

Kicks to use against trained Fighters and Kicks to be used against potentially non-trained fighters are two very different kettles of fish....

Side Kick in a Muay Thai bout, bit risky, not much use for it. Side Kick in a Self-Defence situation useful, very useful.

Chambered Roundhouse with snap, useful within certain arts, but doesn't fit the Mechanics of Muay Thai, quite simple really.

Your point about the Pivot, is Kerwronggggg. Thai and Burmese Roundhouses use both the power from the hips and the Pivot.

You are perhaps thinking about one type of Thai Roundhouse, which is The Cut Kick, stepping off the tramlines and blasting away with no need to Pivot. There are many variations.

So is anybody who actually does any Thai Arts actually going to post in this thread, is it just going to be People from TKD/ CLF etc-who think they know about Muay Thai and think they are going to tell us something we don't know??? Just wondering...

7. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

eh..... Scarlet who do you think you are, talking like you can beat a MT fighter. Judeing on how you talk you sound kinda stupid. Ok now if the side kick was so called useful why aren't we seeing it in K1 and MMA... You think you can beat them with your side kick... eh.. Sir let me tell you, it took me 3 to 4 months to beat every single Black belt in a TKD school.... There kicks where weak nothing but a sting. If they kicked a elbow they would hop around even with pads on.... Mawi wonders why Scarlet thinks he can go around saying that his way is his right way.... Eh.. So if what Scarlet siad was true then why only Bruce Lee used a side kick in battle ( in a movie). LOL if you come at me with a side kick i would move out of the way its so ez to see comeing and conter with a high roundhouse. I kicked down a 200 ib pounds bag and all a TKD Black belt can do it move it a little bit... eh Scarlet says a good side kick to the head can kill a man.. ( so what a man died siting in a chair) does that make diffence ( just because one man died, don't mean i am going to die if the oppent side kicks me....) Like i siad before Side kicks are ez to see comeing and only can work in a Bruce Lee movie , where the guy wasn't even looking at bruce and the guy was standing still. And you are so wrong in saying that a clambering kick is just as strong.... not thats why you don't see TKD fighters in MMA or K1... Since when does a snap kick KO a guy... never seen that eh.... But a MT kick from the hip is damageing. BTW what do you think the oppent would be doing when you come in for a low side kick.... eh? :confused: what you said was kinda Bull Crap and doesn't make sense why you keep saying Scarlet did this Scarlet did that? Scarlet an't a champ is he lets leave it at that!

:p ( wants to kick Scarlet see what he think about Mawi's kick eh)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  8. alexxlea

alexxlea Valued Member

All I can say is...
    Shin kicks=broken/unusable legs.

9. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

No it doesnt.

Mawi, your talking about Scarlet and how he's saying his stuff is the best. Well read your own post cause your doing the same.

I've see a fighter use sidekicks in K1 im sure others saw it too. Cant remember the guys name or even who he was fighting so I will describe him in hopes somebody else will remember his name. He was a tall black guy, had an afro, and was wearing a yellow jump suit with black stripes down it. Like the one Bruce Lee wears in the "Game of Death". Anyway, he kept trying to use sidekicks and the got him nowhere. He got his ass kicked.

10. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

what do you mean broken unusable legs? Thai fighters have been using shins for ages. How do you explain guys like Hoost, Silva, Cro-Cop, Aerts who kick like there's no tomorrow. And nobody says you MUST block shin on shin. There are plenty other techniques in pure muay Thai that can be used against kicks and sidekicks. Catching the foot, twisting it and kneeing the leg is "serpent twists its tail". You can catch and elbow or "impaling the stake". Then you have "blocks" and redirections of the kicks using your forearm like in "tiger crosses the stream" and "taya supports the pillar". Or you can lean away or hollow out your body. There's even a leg break in muay Thai. Of course a few of these techniques are not allowed in regulation sport muay Thai but they are there.

I saw that matchup in the recent K-1 with the black guy and the yellow Bruce Lee suit. He actually caught the other fighter with one of those fancy kicks but he was beaten in the end.

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet's puzzled :confused: . Ok, now look, Scarlet never used the word "best" in his post, hell, after reading again he realizes he didn't even use the word better. Why is everybody being all hostile?
    Scarlet only reacted to the posting because someone (Mawi he thinks) said chambered kicks were weak. Scarlet disagreed, and more importantly Scarlet disagreed without calling anyone stupid, showing any kind of hostility or threatening to beat up anybody.
    And how does Scarlet speak like he could beat an MT fighter? Did Scarlet ever say or imply that he could beat an MT fighter? Where did he say that? And why all this "I can beat you, because you're weak and you can't kick" talk? Shouldn't martial artists have more respect?

Now, Sokklab, as much as Scarlet would love to split your wig, there would be no need for a fight. I mean really, what do you have to prove? If you're as tough as you say you are why do you need to prove it to some rookie CLF guy who can't even kick?
    How old are you guys anyway? Scarlet detects a high levels of immaturity from Sokklab and Mawi. How old are you guys? How long have you been training in your art? Please tell Scarlet.
    Scarlet has not made a proud post, as he has many reasons to be humble, since he is not very experienced, doesn't do barenuckle fighting, likes peace and likes to chill. So there, Scarlet Mist tries to learn something about MT, clowns act like jacksasses, Scarlet tells clowns to calm down because it's not that serious. And Scarlet is out.

Oh, and Mawi, about you beating every Black belt in a TKD school, what does that do. What's that besides someone boasting about nothing? For all you know it could have been a McDojo or something. Anyway, Scarlet is out.

12. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

chambered kicks are not generally used to produce power, scarlet (forgive the third person reference), but they are to be fast and produce pain.
    karate, for example, (pardon the mentioning of k in a mt thread) uses fast strikes to cause pain and external damage, in other words, linear speed.

muay thai, and i speak from a general point of view, uses a lot of momentum to rip through your viscera and cause internal damage, while at a very slight loss of surprise and power, which may leave open a counterattack. but mt'ers are very well conditioned, so they can take a punch to the head, which renders chambered kicks almost pointless.

and scarlet, to answer your "dumbfounding" at the hostility, you should have read kgirls post about the extremely annoying third person reference. i find it quite amusing that you are calling sokklab, who i count at 1600 + posts, and mawi, who obviously knows a bit about muay thai, immature. not many people like big egos, so um...please, and this is asking nicely, don't act as if you have no idea about what we're talking about.

13. SoKKlab

I didn't say anything about fighting you Scarlet, just that I would gladly spar with you, possibly I worded it wrongly(?). To show you what I mean regarding Side Kicks etc, but no matter. I also see now that you are in San Fran in the USA, so long way to go to spar...

You'd get a bit more respect if you stopped referring to yourself in the Third Person, because it makes Scarlet sound like he's off with the faeries...

If you want to learn more about Muay Thai, then ask questions, using these???, instead of trying to tell people on this frequency that you know it all etc.

That's how your post came across, perhaps you didn't mean to sound the way you did, but really, we've figured all this stuff out for ourselves, honest...

Your post came across as one where you were looking to have a row with somebody, that's all.

14. alexxlea

alexxlea Valued Member

You people...
    I am obviously saying the reciever of the shin kick gets the messed up leg, not the giver.
    I have no idea how you all think that the guy throwing a shin kick would break his leg against a person not ready for one.

15. Scarlet Mist

Oh really? Well Scarlet is going to frickin' kill you. I'm not in San Francisco, never even been there, but I'll be in your back yard if you like me too, hell, I'll even put you there as well. Don't be hostile, it will get you shot. My views are unchanged, but I'd also like to know how conditioned your throat or your temple is. That is a question, really, a question. As for me talking in the third person, why does it matter, it something different really that hard to get used to. Now it's really not that serious, and I'm not learning very much here, again, hostility far supercedes everything else. So on that note, I'd like to remind you all that and eagle catching slugs in the desert is not the same as catching slugs from a desert eagle. Hey, and to all of you clowns, go sleep with your grandmothers or something.

On a side note, what do y'all think about Martial artists and liquor? Does it affect your training. I have couple beers in me right now, and I'm gonna train tomorrow? Will a hangover ruin training? Well, let's find out.

Scarlet shouldn't be infront of a computer right now, Man, I must be a geek or something ......................

16. Mawi

Mawi Banned Banned

Scarlet, i 3 hours ago spared with a JKD fighter. He was quick and did 4 or 5 side kicks every one of them was countered by a roundhouse kick and i did a push/ax kick on my oppent's head. He was fast but one problem his sidekick even if it is fast can be countered very easly by a side step. Scarlet you think i got no respect to Martail Arts no you are worng but i got no respect for a guy saying his sidekick can break my knee.... and talking in thrid person acting like he is better than the Art of Muay Thai. Even if lets say you are faster then the JKD fighter (who uses his sidekick as his main wepaon) any expericed fighter isn't dum enough to stand still and wait for a side kick to land on his knee. Ok did that sound disrespctful.... And i don't recall me braging on my posts.... I only want to share what Muay Thai has to offer and what i have learned threw Muay Thai. I respct a man that respcts me. Now i might have sounded harsh on my pervious post so for that fovgive me. But i don't like guys that act like all better than others. I would say you need to dorp the third person why of talking and talk like a normal person.

O at first it hurts when you kick some one with your shin but later on it don't hurt at all. Just like a Boxers hands has become pain free same with a Muay Thai fighter's shin.

17. Scarlet Mist

And my calling Sokklab immature had nothing to do with his post count or how little or how much he knew about MT. It's the fact taht he would call someone stupid after reading (and severely misreading) 2 posts. So there, to everyone who has a problem .... remember that Scarlet will leave with no intro after he blows four in you ....

18. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Hey Scarlet, word of advise. You should edit or all out delete your post, the one right before Mawi, before you get banned or something.

Now I have an actually question for you. Why do you bring up Desert Eagles so much??

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  19. Scarlet Mist

I've been known to be humble, swing an ax when I rumble, show ya butt what ma gun do, got a temper, go ahead, lose ya head .....

Scarlet will not delete his post! Aww crud. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Why do I mention Desert Eagles so much, rap music, and the recognition of the fact that the best fighters - yes, for those who can catch punches and kicks catching a slug will ruin your abs .. yes ... and slugs seem so powerless.We live in a serious world...

20. Scarlet Mist

Oh, and because I've never seen a streetfight. We don't really have fights, we have shootouts, murders and a few stabbings. Happens all the time, you're right near it, but never get used to it because you're not really near to it ... makes you kinda paranoid if you're like me ... When people break out in bar fights it's likely that someone gets shot.