"shiken haramitsu daikoumyo"

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by thomas81, Jun 5, 2015.

1. thomas81

thomas81 Valued Member

I am wondering how many other people's bujinkan dojos still practice this ritual greeting at the start of class.

Ours used to, but seems to have dispensed of it of late.

Is there a reason instructors decide to include this sometimes but not others?

2. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

@thomas81

Is something else said when bowing in? Do you bow in?

Do you get your yellow cards from Japan?

4. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I do

5. Plusminus

Plusminus Valued Member

I've yet to visit a dōjō where it wasn't used.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

What does it mean?

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

http://www.ninjutsu.co.uk/downloads/shikinharamitsudaikomyo.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiken_haramitsu_daikoumyo

As society evolves to a faster pace, somethings are tossed in lu of trying to compress time. Yet, there are many people who enjoy the things of the past

Depends. There maybe a instructor who had, only to leave and have his protege' no longer do it

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  8. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

yellow membership cards ALWAYS come from japan, via your own teacher

9. warren33

warren33 Valued Member

Seminars etc. aside, everyone should be doing this in regular training.

10. 47MartialMan

And "everyone" should be driving a Yugo :)

11. warren33

warren33 Valued Member

Sorry, that went over my head - did you mean to imply saying people should follow the traditions of the arts they practise is comparable to Nicolae Ceausescu's dictatorial Yugoslavia?

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Wasn't he the leader of Romania?

13. 47MartialMan

Stating that "everyone" should follow the traditions of the arts they practice is like saying "everyone" should drive a Yugo.

"everyone" do not have to do "everything or anything" like someone else

Traditions are a part of a culture that can be disregarded, if chosen. I have a lot of culture/family traditions, but I do not follow many of them because they seem illogical, archaic, or require too much time of my everyday lifestyle

YUGO is a reference to a car...hence the word "driving"

14. Plusminus

Plusminus Valued Member

Shouldn't they?

15. gapjumper

It would be polite.

Maybe 47M thinks otherwise.

16. warren33

warren33 Valued Member

Sorry, you're quite right, can''t find an :embarrassed: icon - would use it if I could! :p Mention of the Yugo and the idea that respecting tradition might = totalitarianism got to me I think :)

47MM, yes I know what a Yugo is/was thank you.

More importantly no one is suggesting everyone has to be like everyone else - simply that they practice the art they practice as faithfully as possible to the way they were taught/shown... Which incidentally includes being critical and thinking for ones self.

People can still be free thinking individuals - that is greatly encouraged and I'm sure we'll agree that everyone follows his own path and is responsible for and unto themselves.

Respecting the art and thinking for yourself are not mutually exclusive.

In fact the art should make you more critical of unnecessary things. And don't forget if you have experience training in the Bujinkan you will know that it, perhaps more than any other koryu based art, has stripped away much of what may be superfluous formality.

And if anyone seriously gives lack of time as a reason then they need to take a look at themselves I think! It takes literally seconds and can perform some important functions. Perhaps someone has a good reason for not, but time isn't one of them.

I'm not looking to persuade you - you are also a free thinking individual and according to your profile an 'eclectic martial artist' so of course have your own conclusions and experiences.

But it remains the case that this is something Bujinkan Dojo ought to generally do.

17. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Only in the Buj.

In all other orgs, it is customary to do what the headmaster says you should do.

18. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

That is hard to do when the headmaster is a ninja and tells you what you want to hear, not necessarily what is good for you to do

19. gapjumper

Yup, it is not really ok to do as you wish in the Buj.

It does help to highlight the silly people though

If you cant read between the lines, there are other orgs available.

:evil:

20. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

You have a point, Which should make it totally obvious to anyone inside the Bujinkan that you learn by following the example set by the shihan and soke, instead of asking them.

Which in turn means you should do as they do, which means that choosing not to do what they do (as 47martialmen seems to propose) is patently silly.