Shihan

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by macker, Jul 12, 2007.

1. macker

macker Valued Member

I have noticed a lot of use of the term 'Shihan'. I have not noticed this term in any of the books i have on Aikido. I also discussed this with my instructors. His reply

Where has this term come from? I did a little research and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shihan

2. macker

macker Valued Member

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

In MAPS own Aikido Glossary (for moving to the resource forum), post #6:

http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59429

This doesn't tell the origins of why the term is used today but not before, but I thought it worth mentioning.

4. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Most people misunderstand and misuse the term shihan.

Its literal translation, as already pointed out means teacher however contextually it would be wrong for instance, for everyone 'teaching' aikido to be known by the term just because they're involved in proliferating the art to others.

If we look at legitimate holders of the title shihan we can easily see there's one constant, and that is they're seasoned budoka with a considerable amount of time (often 30/40 years) training and teaching others; indeed it would be quite right to consider those people teacher of teachers or, in other words master instructors however, the term SHIHAN should not be disposed upon one's self merely because you (consider) yourself fitting that criteria.

The reason why I started with my opening statement is merely because there seems to be a growing trend (mainly in the west) to want titles associated with grades when in fact there is already an accepted and entirely appropriate honorific term; that being sensei.

PS to Macker

Please extend my regards to your Sensei and tell him I'll see him at the Nakazono Memorial in October.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"Aikido Today" magazine did a feature article on this a few years ago. What they found was that there is no fixed definition. There's no single standard that applies everywhere.

"Shihan" is a title, not a separate rank. The common thread is that a "shihan" is a teacher for other teachers. All shihans are at least 6th dan, and all have many decades in the art. They are the people instructors go to for instruction. But, there is no written standard anywhere for how one becomes a shihan, nor any discernable uniform standard for granting that rank.

There is, however, the perception among many that a Japanese person will be given the title "shihan" upon reaching 6th dan, but that a non-Japanese person will not be given that title.

6. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

As much the same with rank its self and the standards applied will naturally differ from one dojo to another, even in the same organisation thus, what you present isn't that much of a revelation.
    Untrue.

It is true to say that for some time western students were often 'overlooked' (for want of a better expression) however, there are a growing number of non Japanese shihan in the world today, the UK for instance has at least 7 aikikai issued shidoshi, I can't speak for other organisations/styles. In fact, there are more people studying Aikido outside of Japan than within it thus, even though Japan will always remain the indigenous home of the discipline, the future of the art now does not rest entirely within her shores and more importantly, solely with the Japanese alone.

Ken Cottier 7th dan and Gordon Jones 6th dan being the last two awarded.

Others which spring to mind being:

William Smith
    Terry Ezra
    Chris Mooney
    Tony Cassells
    Dee Chen

And I'm sure there are others. Just the UK.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  7. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Aikikai Hombu has issued Rules for Appointment of Shihan.

The salient points are:
    "Recommendation for Title Shihan
    (1) An Aikido organization which has been given Official Recognition by the Hombu can recommend any of its instructors who meets the qualifications as a candidate for Shihan.
    (2) To be qualified as a candidate for Shihan, he or she must fulfill the following conditions.
    - In principle, have more than six years of experience teaching Aikido in his or her organization after obtaining 6th dan.
    - Be proficient in the practice and instruction of Aikido.
    - Be of good personal character.
    (3) An individual person cannot recommend himself or herself. The recommendation should come from the person responsible for the relevant organization and be in written form. Recommendations can be submitted at any time of the year."

8. aikiMac

Dude, I was quoting the article, and the author of the article quoted high-ranking aikido instructors in America. :rolleyes: I wish that the Editor had saw fit to interview you for her American magazine, but perhaps you know of some American-born shihan? I can think of only three: Robert Nadeau, Bill Witt, and Frank Doran. (No, I don't recognize Steven Seagal's shihan title.)

9. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

wow i cant believe that steven stegal is actually considered a shihan, but i never really thought about it the only shihan at my school is vincent holck and he is the only one and hes been doing it for 49 years

10. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

The following are recognised as Shihan of the US Aikido Federation by Aikikai Hombu:
    Eddie Hagihara Shihan, Long Island Aikido Association
    Harvey Konigsberg Shihan, Woodstock Aikido
    Clyde Takeguchi Shihan, Capital Aikikai
    Claude Berthiaume Shihan, Aikido de la Montagne
    Peter Bernath Shihan, Florida Aikikai
    Donovan Waite Shihan, Aikido of Center City
    Andy Demko, New Castle Aikikai
    Robert Zimmermann, Toronto Aikikai

They were awarded the title of Shihan as per the Rules promulgated by Aikikai Hombu.
    You can view the list of certified USAF instructors here

Frank Doran, Robert Nadeau and Bill Witt were also awarded the Shihan title following the Aikikai Hombu Rules.

11. aikiMac

I just read this again. Perhaps you did not mean that the perception is untrue, which is how I interpretted you the first time, but rather you meant that the alleged fact that non-Japanese aikidoists were being overlooked is untrue.

Either way, life goes on. No problem here.
    Ya, Donovan Waite. I forgot him. The other guys I have not heard of. They must not come west.

12. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

The Birankai (formerly USAF-Western Region) under Chiba Kazuo Shihan 8th Dan Aikikai, also awards Shihan titles. I think these have since been recognised by Aikikai Hombu. The Birankai Shihan are:
    Jack Arnold, 6th dan, Aikido Daiwa
    Darrell Bluhm, 6th dan, Siskiyou Aikikai
    Lorraine DiAnne, 6th dan, Westside Aikido
    Nobuo Iseri, 6th dan,The Moving Centre
    Elizabeth Lynn, 6th dan, Eastshore Aikikai
    Mark Murashige, 6th dan,San Diego Aikikai
    Gloria Nomura, 6th dan, Aikido Institute of San Francisco
    Juba Nour, 6th dan, Aikido of Manhattan
    Kristina Varjan, 6th dan, New Mexico Aikikai
    Pablo Vázquez, 6th dan, Aikido Institute of New Mexico

The list of Birankai Shihan can be found here.

Also in the UK, Matthew Holland of the Scottish Aikido Federation was awarded the title of Shihan by Aikikai hombu

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  13. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Whether you were quoting an article or not the fact is, as has been demonstrated in this thread, that western students are offered just as much an opportunity to progress to shihan as just about anyone else. Just because you haven't heard of any American Shihan doesn't mean they don't exist - which has aptly been demonstrated with the inclusion of their names in this thread.

14. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Say what ? Say that again in English..

No rather, I know exactly what I meant the first time around.