Shihan Nathan Ingram, Sensei Mark Morisi

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tika, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Tika

Tika New Member

I just checked out another dojo. It is called D.A.S. Karate Acadamy. The style is "Sho-Ku-Jitsu" and was created by this Shihan Nathan Ingram guy. I was told by the Sensei there (Sensei Mark Morisi, also a police officer) that Shihan Nathan Ingram was a gold medalist in the olympics and holder of many titles. If this is the case I would assume that some of you have heard of him.

If anyone knows this style or these people, any info you have would be greatly appreciated. It looks like it could work for me (even though the style is new and a mix of other things, it doesn't look corny).

2. Godhand

Godhand New Member

D.A.S. Academy

I know by now you've probably found a dojo, but i'm a member at the D.A.S. Academy, and find it a great experience. I enjoy the training alot, while it goes so that the slowest member in the class can learn, it also moves so that everyone will always be learning. The instructors in the Suffern Dojo come from a variety of backgrounds, and all of the sempais have been at the dojo for at least 5 years. i have tried other arts such as TKD, American Kickboxing, and Ryu-Renshi-Dan (another mixed art) and found this one the most enjoyable and also the hardest work out. The prices are reasonable, and the dojo is adequately equipped, though it is a bit small. Also Kyoshi Ingram opened a 2 story dojo in chinatown, NYC that is a two story training facility. One of which has traditional hardwood floors, the other matted and more of a modern facility. All in all i love the D.A.S. dojo though i've not been there too long, only an orange belt currently. Also here's a link to Kyoshi Ingram's bodyguard company's website. http://www.royalprotectiongroup.com/whoweare.htm Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

3. Tika

Tika New Member

Which dojo do you train at? I tried it out, but my car died and I stopped going. And since I got a new one I cant afford to go back.... but I was getting the impression that it was all about money... the only reason they train adults is to make them teach all kids classes.

4. Godhand

Godhand New Member

I train at the suffern dojo being as i live within walking distance. If you trained there and had a class with either sempai mark who has long hair and a goatee (you'd know him if you saw him) sempai vinny, or sensei mark, you can notice that they all really care about what they're doing and aren't doing it for money. the only people i see training anyone are brown belt and up, only teaching belts lower than themselves.

5. Tika

Tika New Member

Sorry, hope I didnt offend. I did like all the people I met there. I just meant the overall structure of the dojo.... They have tons of kids classes, and only a few for beginner adults. And from my conversation with one of them early on, I got the impression that I was training to be a teacher. I had mentioned that I trained in another style to the rank of 2nd kyu and also that I didnt know how many classes I could afford to take a week due to their sliding scale. And they said that you get a discount if you teach. Now, entering as a newbie, I wouldnt expect to be at the level of instructor for a very long time, so why even mention it as an option? I did like the place though...nice people.

6. Judge

Judge Valued Member

Greetings Tika,

I realize this topic is a bit old but i would like to clear a few things up.

First of all i would like to say that i also attend the DAS Academy in Suffern and take four classes a week with Jake ( Godhand ). We both joined in about Feb. of this year, myself having no other formal karate experience and he having an intermidiate knowledge based on his time at another dojo.

My journey to find myself started to February, i was and still am what some like to call a powergammer so my physical activity was extremly low, especially since i quit Ice Hockey. I had decided it was time to change that and i had always wanted to try the martial arts so i logically concluded the best way to pick a dojo was to talk to the Instructors at several and possibly take some trial classes.

In order to save time i narrowed myself down to less commercialized schools because i felt places like Tiger Scholmens (sp) were more about cashing in on their students then teaching.

The first school i visited was infact DAS and i can assure you that i would never rethink that choice, the 8 or so month that i have spent training have been the most exelerating in my life. The training at first may seem modain and boring, especially for someone who im willing to bet will excellerate at a fast rate but it is definatly worth it.

I feel so at home at the DAS academy that i come to classes three to four hours early in order to practice privately ( which by the way is free, so if you can only take one class a week it can be offset by a few hours of private training ).

You are never required to become an instructor, its a choice you take and its definatly "awesome" that theirs a discount on instructors because i hope that with a bit more effort i might be able to assist in classes more often.

As for the structure of the dojo i think that can be explained in terms of economics. Children are more likely to take classes, theirfore it makes sense that their are more classes for children. Infact this summer DAS opened its doors for I belive Saturay classes because of the large increase in children attending. Adults however are less likely to attend, aside from instructors the advanced adult classes only house 4-5 people and i think the begininer classes only a dozen or so. It's also plausible to realize that children need to be broken up into groups as smaller children dont learn as fast as older children, who dont learn as fast as teenagers ( generally speaking ). So while it seems kids get the better end of the deal each group only has 2-3 sessions a week ( like adults ).

7. Tika

Tika New Member

Sorry judge, I meant absolutely no offense by my statement. I did not go there very much, it was the impression that I got from the little time I spent there. I have nothing against anyone there, there were all very nice people. I am just one of those fortunate few who had such an incredible experience with the first place I went, that everything after seems just that much worse. So, Im sorry if I was completely off base with my comments.

It may be an excellent place for young people to train, and for some adults as well. It is not the type of place that I would find myself sticking around, because it focuses too much on the kids. Im used to a place that focuses on Adults, having many classes for adults (some also open to more advanced younger studentS) and has maybe two exclusively kids classes a week. There is a market out there for adults in martial arts, a club doesnt have to focus primarily on children in order to make enough money to survive. This school has to focus on children for whatever reason (thats what they want, thats what the area demands), thats fine, but its just not the place for me.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  8. Judge

Judge Valued Member

Their was definatly no offense taken, infact im glad you posted something like this, for if you had not i would have never found this website which i think may be a valuable source of information at times.

I am very sorry your experience with the dojo was not as enjoyable as one may hope and i wish you the best of luck with the next art you wish to pursue but i would like to clear one thing up.

Its not that they feel the market is not in Adults, but more so that Adults havent shown as much of an intrest, and theirfore their have been no need for an excess of Adult classes

-Regards

9. Tika

Tika New Member

well judge, Im glad you found map. Its an incredible place. Its helped keepd my fire for martial arts burning. I hope it can be a good place for you :)