shifting knee joints

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cownose, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

when i bend my knees more than about 90 degrees i get a sort of shift in my knee joints, seems similar to what this article (http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/26/jarlo.html) calls a 'clunk'. i don't hear any popping or anything, it's just sort of a shift around the outside of my knees. i read some articles on this site about popping joints and whatnot, but i'm kind of worried about this because it doesn't just happen once and go away, it happens every time i go down. the only time it doesn't happen is if i turn my toes out past 45 degrees.

so basically, two questions (that have probably already been answered, sorry). is the shifting unhealthy, and if it is, is it ok to do deadlifts with my feet pointing out more than 45 degrees?

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It depends. It could potentially be pieces of broken cartilage in the joint. I have the same thing in my elbows. I find if I do dips between two chairs, it aggravates the problem, but if I do dips with my hands on a bar in front of me it doesn't. It should be OK to do deadlifts with your feet pointed out. The main technique issues with deadlifting are to do with your breathing and your back.

3. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

It does sound unhealthy yes. Does it cause pain, discomfort or limited range of movement? If so you should consult your GP and see if you can get a referral to a physiotherapist for a diagnosis and hopefully some relevant exercises to strengthen muscles supporting the knee joint.

Even if it isn't currently painful, deeply bending the knee under load (eg. deadlifting) and causing the 'clunk' as a result could be causing long term damage.

You really need a proper diagnosis before you can say more for certain.

Mike

4. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Yep go to a proper Physio, I have bad knees, but the physio can sort most problems out (well has for me :) ). Lots can be to do with your stance and gait in 'normal' life, and training brings out the problem. You spend alot more time walking and standing than you do doing MA.