Shaving before a fight

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by |MT|omar, May 25, 2005.

1. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

I know this might sound stupid but do you guys have to shave you're legs or anything before stepping into the ring?

Im just curious because i have pretty hairy legs and i want to know if i might have to shave em before i start fighting... my hairy legs are a bit of trademark for me and i'd rather not shave em :p

-Thanks

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Wow, thats a first. I can't wait to see the answers..... :)

3. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

haha yeah i tried looking for a similar thread but i couldn't find one... i hope people answer though, im really curious about this

4. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Having never competed I can't give you a personal answer to this one but I have a friend who found that whilst competing the hair used to rub in an uncomfortable way and therefore he got rid of it (well that was his excuse anyway). I suppose it is a personal preference as to how it makes you feel. Also, shaving before a fight may not be a good idea as any irritation could cause you some distraction. I know I never shave my face before playing any sport.

5. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Yeah i understand the irritation factor, i never shave on the day of a sporting even either

Hey Romulus, just a quick question... where abouts in Melb is your gym? Im with Pro-Active, we train in Greensbrough and Epping

6. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Ewwww... I can't imagine not shaving my armpits and legs before any day, fight or no. But then again, feminine hygiene is a bit different, eh? Apparently shaving helps you to cleanse and bandage a wound on your legs more easily, I dont know if that's true or not. I've never not shaved my legs.

7. minimal

minimal New Member

Yeah, the poster was a guy. Haven't seen a post from someone who'se needed to yet.

Try once and see. You've been able to wear the same kit you'll wear in the fight? Don't forget that you'll be sweaty! If there's no problem, there's no problem.

If I remember correclty from sparring, MT people block kicks with their legs, not always their feet. So maybe you're likely to get the odd scrape from that?

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

its not something I would worry about. if they are hairy enough maybe they will provide some padding :D

9. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

nah

It really does next to nothing, the only noticable effect would be your loss of dignity amongst your friends.

10. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Not sure about the rules, but are you wearing shin guards? if not, then the stubble could make for some nice grating low kicks. Nothing like giving the opponent a rash for somthing else to think about.

11. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Dude, what are the reasons for shaving your legs? Aerodynamics?? Dont think that the hairs slow down your kicks that much!! Hygeine?/ If you get a bad cut from a kick then having shaved them will have benefits for hygiene and for stitches, but that is worse case scenario.

As far as i see there is no real reason to shave em, unless yo wanna look good in a mini skirt after the fight, anyway the other guy may be intimidated by your obvious masculinity!!!

12. K1Mike

K1Mike New Member

It's muay thai... not swimming. There is NO advantage to shaving yourself for a fight. Infact it can only hurt you (feeling awkward all shaven).

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

btw, love your sig jamo. Cus was certainly onto something...

14. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Yeah, probably one of the most useful qotes of all time. Especially applied to fighting though. All those pre fight nerves while gloving up, just remember that, and your onto a winner.

15. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Cool, thanks for all the replies everyone, and incase you were thinking that i'd shave my legs for aerodynamics then you're wrong... i guess i'll keep them till the ref tells me that i have to shave em if i want to fight :p

16. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Hey Omar. I train in Glen Waverley at the Victorian Hapkido Academy. Kind of on the other side of the city.

In relation to the topic, a lot of guys who receive regular sports massage find that the without the hair on their legs the massage is a little easier I know a lot of footballers who do this. Although, these guys usually also get a regular fake tan as well. Hmmmmmm.

17. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

It is, some mountain bikers shave their legs for that reason (or at least cite it as an excuse :D ). Then again martial arts don't involve being dragged through thorny bushes and into dirt and rocks while entangled with a quality alloy frame.

18. hadou-ken

hadou-ken Valued Member

nice one

19. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I expect shaving before a fight would reduce chafe a bit in those shorts MT'ers wear

20. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

well

yeah, I'm big on mountain biking, and it does help for when you cut your legs to not have leg hair... but I still would never shave my legs over that. I always have scissors in my camelback when i go riding and use those to cut off the leg hair around a cut... works just fine. That and you seldom do get significant cuts to the legs. To be honest, all those people who shave their legs citing and other trivial things as reasons, are IMO just looking for an excuse to shave them.