Sharp, concentrated pain on outside of middle left calf when landing on left leg

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by mdl, Dec 20, 2007.

1. mdl

mdl New Member

For about a month I've been feeling a sharp, concentrated pain in the middle of my left calf, on the outside of my leg (not the back, like in a calf sprain) whenever I execute a high jump kick that causes me to land on my left leg, or during plyometrics that involve landing hard on that leg without the assistance of the right leg. To be honest, it feels like some object is lodged in the middle of my muscle, but I don't remember getting shot or anything recently. :) There's no visible discoloration on that spot, either. I was thinking it might be some sort of blood clot, but I don't know how to diagnose that. I'm going to see a GP on Friday, but am a bit skeptical that he'll have heard of this sort of disorder and might prescribe an MRI or some such (expensive!) thing. Have any of you experienced this sort of pain? Thanks!

2. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

You're doing the right thing in seeking professional help. I don't think anyone on MAP will be more helpful to you than your GP.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Go to your GP - you could also go check out a sport focussed physiotherapist. What's more expensive... your leg or an MRI? :rolleyes:

4. donb

donb restless spirit

go to your GP for the best answer but just to give you piece of mind before friday, one test of a blood clot, either in sitting with leg straight or 90 degree with feet flat. and squeeze the calf muscle close to the back of your knee. This test is which is not definite, is for deep vein thrombosis and will trigger radiating pain and should accompany other signs such as swelling of the foot, faint pulse on top of your ankle, differences in temperature. Anyway, by way of your description, pain on the outside of your leg does not usually indicate blood clot (i could be wrong), it can just be muscular strain or tear and a lot of times can happen to a couple of muscles that usually gets neglected - soleus (which is under your gastrocnemius) that normally we don't see, and tibialis posterior. I may be speaking in a different language but check with any physiotherapist to confirm this especially the DVT test (even nurses do this test before they call the doctor)