Shaolin Temple In NSW, Australia

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Coges, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Forgive me if this has already been posted.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17590820%5E2702,00.html

According to the above newspaper link, they are planning the first shaolin temple outside of China for NSW in Australia.

"Mr Watson said he believed the temple complex - including a 500-room hotel, indoor and outdoor kung-fu exhibition areas and accommodation for about 80 monks - would attract about 450,000 visitors a year. "We have conservatively estimated the project will generate about $180million a year and about 2000 jobs," he said.

What do you think? (Aside from the stance of the minister)

If this is true, I think it would be a great tourism boost for NSW, and not being that far away I would likely visit it myself.

2. RAGINGbuddha

RAGINGbuddha Valued Member

I was just gonna make a thread on this :D

About the angry pastor(s), they've already lost and they don't even know it. Never underestimate the brand name that is known as Shaolin. So many tourists(as well as locals) would be coming in, I'm sure the pastor would have a heart attack. And he wouldn't have a heart attack if he wasn't so intolerant.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  3. Gray

Gray New Member

The Shaolin monks are SELLOUTS, mannnnn... :cool:

4. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Yeah, he sounds like a douchebag. Saying that it was only meant for internal mail and that it was taken out of context. What rubbish!

Also, isn't it going to be hard for monks to do their business with a 500 room hotel going on in the background? I wonder how long before they put pokies in?

5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

The sad fact is that the Shaolin Temple has been about tourism since the 70’s when the Chinese government recognised the economic benefits of promoting the Temple and getting monks to train there again.

The Christian minister does a very good job of reminding me why I’m not one, what a jerk.