少林棍法闡宗 Shaolin Staff Ancient Manual: Stance 1 to 11

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by kyrasym, Jul 19, 2011.

1. kyrasym

kyrasym Valued Member

Sharing a video, of my physical interpretation of the ancient Shaolin Staff manual. Please let me know what you think! =)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6TKR7gz-zA"]‪å°‘æž—æ£æ³•é—¡å®— Shaolin Staff Ancient Manual: Staff 1 to 11‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I like it :)

3. Cable Focus

Cable Focus Banned Banned

Your videos and interpretations are great.

Keep up the good work!

4. kyrasym

kyrasym Valued Member

Thank you for your encouragement, Stolenbjorn and Cable Focus! =)

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I really appreciate your work. You and the HEMA community are doing basically the same thing. You might want to pick up some books on European staff fighting (and reconstructed sword arts too) just in case they can give you something you've overlooked thus far. Don't take them as gospel either, lest you add something to your recon that shouldn't be there.

Best regards,

-Mark

6. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Thanks for the video kyrasym.

7. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

did u really get the point? I do not like it at all. sorry, you misunderstood the text

8. kyrasym

kyrasym Valued Member

Hi wu2wu, I will appreciate it if you can point out my mistakes, and we can all learn. =)

9. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

it is better to get a master to teach you . kungfu could not be learned from books., those you showed in your vedio did not get the point at all. the pictures in the bool just showed one still posture in a movement, actually, they are much much more complecated than your imagination. By following these pictures to learn kungfu, is just like the story of "blind men and the elephant". sorry to say that

10. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Perhaps he has the background in similar arts to interpret the substance of a technique based upon a book or paper.

You really should point out specific mistakes.

And as for the OP, your movement is really good. A tad jittery for my taste, but I understand you're trying to make specific movements visible, so I'm sure that's normal.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I eagerly anticipate videos of you doing these complicated movements justice.

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interesting stuff!!

Just want to point out one complication of looking at an end position and extrapolating the move. Since I can't read chinese I have no idea how the text describes the move so don't take this as a criticism of what you are doing.

In one system I study we would drop the rear hand first, hold it fixed, and then snap the front hand down to get a whipping action at the far end of the staff. This would be more obvious if you were using a staff made up of a say chinese wax wood which has lots of natural give.

The way I am describing the move you would see a snap from the end of the pole which might affect the opponents grip in a different way than say pressing down on the staff (which is the way I am interpreting what you are doing).

Both valid interpretations of how to arrive at the end move but without a person to direct you it might be hard to know which was the way the original authors meant for you to get to the end position.

Of course you know I am just spouting to give you a contrasting vision of this last technique. You do a pretty darn good job of showing your perspective!

FWIW

LFD

13. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

If you read my comment on his another topic, you would agree that it is so difficult to get the right point from a kungfu book.

The art of stick is the best practice in shaolin kungfu system, and shaolin kungfu is the father of all kungfu styles. so, you could not really learn it from books. I can say it again and again.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102132

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm asking for video of your staff work to ascertain whether you can perform these complicated movements with more aplomb. Dropping vague criticism about "not getting it" is all well and good. But how about backing it up a bit?

15. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

If my postings made you unhappy, here is my apology. I learned shaolin kungfu, including stick technique from my master. What is my personality? when I see something, I like to make a comment. It is not good one I know. But, did I really say something wrong?

If you did something not perfect, does not mean I can do better, if you show something on vedios, does not mean I can do it as well. What I do must get the permission from my master, and he confirmed with us not to show our kungfu on vedios already. that is the reason I could not do as you requested. If I do not follow the master's request, I lose my feasibility to learn futher from him. You may not really understand some traditions in chinese kungfu. When I can teach the others? Also need to get the permission from my master. Did you ever hear about that?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's all fair enough. But saying someone "doesn't get it" without providing specifics--then stating that the specifics are too complicated for us to get--comes off as very condescending. I doubt that your master had that in mind either.

17. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the art of the stick is BEST practiced in shiaolin??? i being a stick arts practitioner take offense at that. what about fma? wma? what about those? it is your opinion. mine stands by my art.

actually, chinese long fist and some "army" styles have been around longer than shaolin. i also think that the other kungfu systems do not derive their movements nor philosophies from shaolin. i think they'd take offense at this statement too.

this is the only thing i agree with.

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You've misinterpreted him, the Chinese Gun/Gwun - stick/cudgel refers to a long staff.

19. kyrasym

kyrasym Valued Member

Hi wu2wu, thank you for pointing out that I'm doing wrong. I'm hoping for some specifics, so that I can improve myself base on your advice. :)

In Sword Treatise, General Yu Da-You wrote: "千言萬語不外乎致人而不致於人一句".
    I translated it at: In the thousands of words, it is nothing else but the sentence of “To subdue others, and not to be subdued by others”.

I of course didn't learn from the Shaolin monks. I used my existing martial arts background to interpret and execute what's being written in the manual. As long as I achieve the end result of "subduing others, and not subdued by others", I'm contented.

Thus my execution/movements may not be 100% like how it's done by the ancient masters, but I believe everyone is striving to achieve the same end result.

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

there are other long sticks from other places.