Shaolin Monk in the UFC

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by mani, Feb 8, 2004.

1. mani

mani Valued Member

Imagine a Shaolin Monk at the UFC, what would you think would be the outcome?

2. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

dunno, aren't they buddhists?

3. Serpico

Serpico New Member

He probably wouldn't do too well. Rules tend to put limitations on people who have trained outside of those said rules. Anyway, I think we've already had discussions similar too this. The result was, pizza is good, but don't burn yourself on the cheese, or something like that...

4. Adam

Adam New Member

I got NO idea, but it's really improbable that they would enter it. They're buddhists, and are therefore peaceful and would refuse to fight for money.

5. Flashing Dagger

Flashing Dagger Valued Member

I have no idea what would happen, but we had a discussion like this in the Kenpo forum. It started me thinking about how I could apply kenpo techniques in a NHB ring. I think it would go something like this:

I see an opening.....I think I'll jab his eyes and then kick him in the groin. No wait...that's illegal.

I think I'll kick his knee and then drop down with an elbow to the spine. No wait....that's illegal.

I think I'll punch the front of his throat. No wait...that's illegal.

6. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

What are the actual UFC rules?

7. mani

mani Valued Member

The rules are no eye poking and no biting, all other attacks are allowed.

8. xubis

xubis New Member

No stomping on the face or groin, no headbutting, some other stuff as well

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

From http://www.elitefighting.co.uk/cage_rage_rules.html

10. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

Thanks for that.
    Some wristlocks i know involve kneeling on the grounded opponent's head to subdue him as they are applied. Would this be forbidden, or does "kneeing" only refer to strikes (where actual damage would be caused by the act of kneeling)?

11. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

FLASHING DAGGER - Look for any Chuck Liddell fights he is a KENPO stylist. He has a big fight coming up in UFC against Tito Ortiz. He recently went to pride and one first fight and lost second againt Rampage Jackson.

12. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Shaolin is only used to protect the temple. Any person who enters and claims to be a monk is a fake.

13. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Unless he trained Stand Up, Clinch and Ground with knowledgeable training partners to a high level, had good conditioning and the right mental attitude he'd get tooled (same goes for everyone, monk or no monk).

On the basis of the little I've seen in documentaries/books/demos etc a Shaolin monk would get taken apart by a fighter of UFC caliber.

Nathan

14. Serpico

Serpico New Member

In the ring or out of the ring??

15. KiWarrior

KiWarrior Banned Banned

Anywhere on earth.

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'd back the UFC guy on the moon too :D

17. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Both.

The street and sport ARE different, but if one side has better striking and grappling skills and is used to applying them against a resisting opponent then they have the advantage, where ever the fight.

Regards

Nathan

18. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

Well I'm certainly surprised with the responses. I'm not that familiar with UFC, but surely a Shaolin monk that has been conditioned / trained daily for 15, 20 years would be a reasonable challenge? :confused:

19. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

The UFC is "The Ultimate Fighting Challenge", a full contact combat sports event allowing striking and grappling techniques. Early events had very few rules and essentially pitted style vs style but it has evolved in to a sport with extremely well rounded competitors.

A Shaolin monk wouldn't be a push over, anyone in good condition with some training is a threat, but I just don't think they could handle an equally well conditioned fighter who trains day in day out in funtional techniques with the aim of defeating a quality opponent.

It's not about styles, that's not really important, it's about training methods.

Nathan

20. Cain

Cain New Member

I had seen a documentary on shaolin, they said they hold competitions between themselves, the sparring was pretty similar to MT, they did'nt show much of that so I can't say for sure wether wether grappling was included something to go on ;)

I dunno, if he's a groundfighter I would'nt bet my shoelace on him, minus gravity remember? :D

|Cain|