Shaolin Kempo Technique Archive

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Matthew Barnes, May 25, 2006.

1. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Eventuallly, most likely.

Respectively: Definitely, definitely, definitely, never heard of it (but if someone sends it in it will go up),and most likely yes for Nenglis north and south.

In Kempo Jutsu, there aren't any after 5th. Honest. Well, actually there's a sai form I missed, but I'll catch up on that one. Really, I'll just be fixing the ones I have. I've got some aikijutsu groundwork to catch up on, and some rounding out of my stick and knife skills.

The forms I did have to learn were:
    Pinion (he spells them that way) 1-5, which aren't related to the SKK ones. Several of them do however (Mostly) resemble the Kajukenbo Palamas sets.

Lohan sets 1-3

Shirukuma

Kama Kata
    Sai Kata

That's all folks. He's more into techniques and open ended self defense. A favorite exchange from my 4th Dan test:

To Chris - Here, take this stick. I want you to take his head off.
    To me - He's going to take your head off. Do something about it.

Those are directions I can follow. It was very...inspiring. :D

Thanks!
    Well, somebody had to do it. And really, while you are there click on the contributors tab. It wouldn't be what it is without them. And so far, no cash has changed hands to make it happen. Miracle. Also - folks from Ussd, Villari's, and many splinter groups have helped. You know, working together, cooperating. I know, it just doesn't seem natural. :Angel:

Matt

2. Matthew Barnes

Andy Henson of Lynchburg Martial Arts has sent in combinations 100-103. This now means we have a 91-100 page, and are one away from needing a final 101-108 page. For now, combinations 101-103 are in the other combinations page.

Combinations:
    Have (92 total):1-78,80,81, 85, 87-90, 93,94,96, 100-103

Need (16 total): 79,82-84, 86,91-92, 95, 97-99,104-108

Almost There!

Matt

3. Matthew Barnes

An Evolution in the archive.

Remember how I said it would be a while before we had any video?

I was wrong.

Ken Warner of Evolution Karate has stepped up with an incredibly generous offer I couldn't refuse. He's providing video and bandwidth. If you like the movies, please consider purchasing his dvds for the high resolution versions. So far, 6 kata and Swift Tigers are up with text, Tai Sing Mon, Hansuki, ShotonQua, Branches of the Falling Pine, Lost Leopard, 1000 Buddhas, Invincible Wall, Five Dragons Face the Four Winds, Nengli North and Nengli South and the Snake are up with just video. I'll get the text up as soon as I'm able. I'm grateful for the support, and am stunned with how far this project has come in less than a year.

Matt

4. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

Awesome!!!

Awesome job Matt!!!
    2 questions for you,

#1 will you be posting the forms: circle of the tiger, 5 tigers facing the 4 winds, eagle forms 1 and 2, Iron crane, and golden leopard.
    ( not sure if anyone has these ones)

#2 for the DM Combinations, will you be providing video clips of these in the near future?

So far, this is the number one shaolin kempo site i go to every morning!!!
    Awesome job, and take care!

5. Matthew Barnes

Really, Ken did all the work, I'm just lucky enough to provide the 'front door' to them. The current setup is a bit 'quick and dirty', and I will endeavor to improve it this summer.

Circle of the tiger, definitely.

As for the others, I do not have them (and honestly hadn't heard of them) so, no plans yet. That of course is subject to change.

Maybe this summer, but probably not before. I have an idea to have some fun with that project.

You are too kind - Thanks. I couldn't have done it without all the folks on the 'contributors' page.

Matt

6. Matthew Barnes

Remeber me?

Hey folks, it's been a while, but I have more time to devote to the site again. I've found a way to host more video, so there's a lot more at the site.

I'll be updating regularly again now that I've finished student teaching, so check back now and then. I've also got more submissions that I've received in the pipeline, so more material is set to be added to the archive.

Thanks to those who have been reading and dropping a line now and then.

Matt

7. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Hey Matthew thanks a million your website is amazing and was great help to show me what kenpo really is.

I hope to start soon has soon has i get rid of the back pain.

Thanks again and please continue your great work this website is amazing

8. Matthew Barnes

Thanks and get well!

Glad you enjoy the site. I've had the time to put up a kicking form , a page with some found footage (from youtube) of the two man set , and Statue of the Crane. Hard to believe, but I still have more to get up there, and then I'll post the have/need list again. Oh, I also received the Iron Fortress blocking set as well.

Thanks for visiting the site, and I'll try to keep on putting things together.

Matt

9. Matthew Barnes

The archive has moved

Hi folks - The old site was groaning under the weight of the old archive - I guess 'free with your internet service personal webpage' was not the best way to house a gigantic archive - so I moved it to a 'real host'.

It served us well for the last few years.

Also, as charming and intuitive as 'home - dot -comcast - dot -net -slash- tilde-matthewabarnes' was as it rolled off the tongue, I picked up www.kempoinfo.com as a more intuitive replacement.

It's got a new style, but all of the existing information has been moved over, and it's searchable now too.

I'm still fixing the occasional image, and there are some dead links I have to fix as I find them, but it's live. The old one will stay up for a while too, but it won't be updated any more.

Thanks,

Matt

10. Almost A Ghost

Almost A Ghost Valued Member

Cool site. Congrats on the growth of it!

11. Matthew Barnes

Thanks

Thanks - it's been a great hobby, and it's nice that I can improve it more now.

12. Matthew Barnes

submission address

For folks who would like to directly submit things to the archive, you can send things to submissions (at) kempoinfo (dot) com.

Just replace the at and dot.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

13. Matthew Barnes

Now Really searchable, and new Grab techniques.

I realized that the search function was only returning my blog posts, and not the actual content, so that's now fixed - if you put in 'combination 68' you'll find it (in the various places it's mentioned).

KenpoDavid sent in a set of grab techniques from Christopher N. Geary's curriculum. They are definitely worth a look.

Also note - the blog posts have a comments feature as well, so you can let me know what you think of things.

Matt

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  14. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Hi Matt,

Do you know when the Two Man Set was imported to the Villari Kenpo, or how it was imported? It originates with the Parker lineage fairly early on, thanks.

Lamont

15. Matthew Barnes

My guess (and this is off the top of my head) is that he got it while still with Nick Cerio, who worked with Ed Parker. This would be between '68-74 IIRC. I'll look into it.

16. RevIV

RevIV Valued Member

I am going to guess that it was imported into the system through reading Parkers books. Thats why a lot of the people in the Villari system had it wrong. Now i can be wrong here but this is what i have been told by numerous people. (oh yeah, im talkng about the two man fist set)
    Jesse

17. stoneheart

stoneheart Valued Member

Shaolin Kempo Glossary?

Can anyone point me to a Shaolin Kempo glossary of terms? I looked at some of the techniques in Matt's archive and they look pretty good as exercises. That said, some of the terms used like #7 block and such are confusing to someone who doesn't practice the system. Are there any online resources to help decipher them?

18. Matthew Barnes

That's a good question

I don't know if there's any online resource to decipher them, but I guess that means that it's time for a glossary. I'll get to work on it.

Hold on, I'll try to have something up shortly.

Thanks for your patience,

Matt

19. Spargoanj

Spargoanj New Member

Matt, I came across your website almost by accident last night, and I just wanted to say that I think you're onto something great for Kempo out here on the East Coast. I also think I may have met you at the Professor Kimo seminar that was hosted in Centerbrook at Valley Shore Martial arts. All in all I'm only a second degree blackbelt, but my instructor is trying to share more techniques with us as well. His attitude towards the "combinations held hostage" type of mentality sounded a lot like what I saw on your website. I don't know that I have anything I can share with you yet, but I'll keep my eyes open to see if I can find anything for your website. Once again, I think what you're doing along with a lot of the other Kempo guys out here in New England is going to be a tremendous credit to the system if you guys can get the history and the curriculum straightened out.

Kempofist, you wouldn't happen to be the same Kempofist from Bullshido, would you?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  20. Matthew Barnes

Yep, that was me in Centerbrook. I think we're in a good time of development for Kempo in the East Coast. There is a group of instructors who are dedicated to sharing and transparency in curriculum so that we all can benefit. I don't necessarily think we'll ever get a straight history or agree on a standard curriculum, but we're hopefully getting a lot of kempo folks to think about what they are doing.

Places like this help as the conversations continue even with folks spread far and wide.