Shaolin Isometrics - Yi Jin Jing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sketco, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

One of the famous exercise manuals which came from shaolin is called yi jin jing or in english it is known as muscle and tendon change classic is a series of 22 isometric postures used to build strength and help with the flow of chi (in a medical sense, not ooh I can know you down with the force from 20 feet away). There are many other exercises like this coming from various part of the chinese martial arts and medical world.

I tried out the full routine of 22 postures yesterday. In the past I've done weight and ballistic training. Thus far this is really my first experience with an isometric routine. I must say that I was actually fairly impressed. The postures focus on pressing in certain directions while the whole body is tensed, first with the breath freely, then with the breath coordinated. After doing half of the postures I was fatigued, sweating, and out of breath.

Today the pain in my shoulder, which has been nagging me for almost two weeks, is 90% gone!! What's really interesting to me is that when I was out of breath it wasn't the laboured kind of breathing you get after hitting the pads, jogging, or rolling on the ground. It was literally as thought my entire body was starved for oxygen. Very hard to describe and very interesting as I've never experienced that before.

Anyone else tried this type of isometric training or done anything similar?

2. Osu,

HAve you got a link to this routine?

Osu!

3. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

A link would be lovley

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Mine's on a dvd that was translated to english by a friend. It's one of those things where the number of postures vary. Mine has 22, some have 30, some have 12. It's also taught differently by different people. The exercises in the video I'm posting are more flowing like tai chi than what I'm doing.

Here's some of the exercises though

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV1cEXHROSs"]Qigong: Yi Jin Jing. Part 1/8 - YouTube[/ame]

5. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Cheers for the link, I shall have a Shufy!

6. David Langford

David Langford New Member

The funny thing is, Yi Jin Jing, like all Shaolin Qi Gong is suppose to be done while relaxed and in a Chan/Zen state of mind, not while tensed mentally or physically. You should not be fatigued, and out of breath, you should be brimming with energy and vitality.

Try doing them while relaxed, and smiling from the heart, see how your results differ. ;)