Shake it off

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Taoquan, May 30, 2007.

1. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

2. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

That sounds absolutely ridiculous but i would definitely try it just to get a good massage.

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I believe Sybian already make similar machines for a different purpose.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I have seen these things before, apparently they are very good for working out. But personally I would be cautious with it, I think excessive use would not be good for the nervous system and some organs including the brain. The reason I say this is there are methods of qigong that employ vibration, i.e. similar to how a dog shakes water of itself, or a bird shaking water of its feathers. These methods can produce fast result but are also dangerous. During relaxation the vibrations shake tension out of the muscles, whereas during tension the muscles have to work harder due to more movement/energy passing through them. These methods are not unnatural, they can be observed in nature. But overuse or unbalanced use can produce negative results.

5. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Medi,
    do you know the purpose by chance?

Good points IntheSpirit,
    Yeah, rattling your brain against the skull seems like a good caution to put on these things. For some reason when I said that I got an image of a bunch of hillbillies getting drunk and riding the machine like a mechanical bull. :D

6. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

There's some similar machines in JJB gyms. They are a lot of fun to use I must say. You do feel slightly dizzy after if you do a long workout on them. I have only used them a few times and they give you an okish workout in my opinion, but it probably depends what exercises you do.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm not even remotely convinced. It reminds me of the belts from the 50's, and I laughed when I got to that part in the article. Soemthing about it just seems fishy, tbh. It's probably going to end up another "get fit fast" scheme marketed to lazy people and will die away in a year or two once the newer and better rage hits.

8. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I think its another example of people trying to use ridiculous technology as a replacement for hard work. Personally, i'm glad there is no substitute for hard graft when it comes to exercise.

9. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Generally, women are more interested in that machine. :D

10. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

So why not just by a washing machine??? :confused: :D

11. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

It costs a lot more and doesn't fufil the "purpose" as much.

It also means that they have to do some work now.

12. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

*Points at Verx*
    He said it not me
    *runs to the womens side and awaits the flaming* :D