Shadow boxing to replace road work?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Defender, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Sorry mate, but i totally dont agree with you on this. A big let down for a lot of fighters is there fitness. You find boxers that have had 40 odd pro fights and endless amount of sparring matches still go to pot in the last couple of rounds.
    Yes, your partly right, experience is a good thing, but that is worth nothing if your less than half as fit as your opponent.
    Finding a good balance is key, but if your serious you should run every night or morning and be doing boxing training.

2. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Fitness is a good thing, and I'd suggest it.

But I'll use one of my examples from boot camp from another thread...we boxed full contact in a ring about 3 x 3 ft. I was pitted up against a guy named Gullberg, a hefty dude who often came in second to last or last on our three mile runs, usually 26+ minutes. I came in fairly fast on three mile runs, 20:15, and was also better at calisthenics such as push ups, pull ups and crunches.

I was whomped in that bout.

In a much older thread on tung-fu, JFS USA was a pro kickboxer in the late 80's...other competitors were concentrating on the heavy bag, treadmills and shadowboxing while JFS fought with multiple partners for multiple minute increments, just like how he would fight in the ring. That's how he won his matches. I'll never forget this quote: "Fighters often win in spite of, not because of, how they train." Just because a less fit looking guy loses against a more fit looking guy doesn't mean lack of physical exercise is to blame. Most of the time it's just because the more fit guy is more skilled too. That's all.

The beauty about doing exactly what you're training for as a method, is that you can't miss any details...with running, you'll increase in stamina but lack in experience. With shadowboxing, you'll get faster and build some endurance but your hands will receive no feedback to build muscle memory with. With actually fighting...you'll get good at fighting. It's simple.

3. Jamo2

I dont think your bout really applies here. You were both on the same sort of par when it came to that bout(3 miles is nothing in the boxing game) and people who have little or no boxing experience are gonna get whooped by people who even have limited boxing experience.
    Im talking about the guys who run 6 miles daily, the guys who do 12 rounds, the guys who fight a LOT, so fitness comes number 1 and experience is already gained.
    Experience comes in its own time, so let it. But its no good having fought 5 times over when the guy whos on his first fight is running circles around you.

Check any boxing history, and the guy who does his roadwork, ALWAYS comes out on top.

4. Jim Sorensen

3 miles is something when you're trying to run it as fast as you can, and I can easily run more if I'm steady paced the entire time. Poor ol' Gullberg on the other hand had trouble with the initial miles because of his size. We definately weren't on the same 'par.'

Yep, most of the time.

The reason they are as good as they are is exactly because they fight a lot. They're conditioning increased in time with their experience, but there's still little that links general physical fitness to winning in a fist fight.

Why the heck is he running circles? Shouldn't he be trying to hit the man? ;) The man who fought five times over will have a better understanding of how to react to an outside influence and initiate attacks than the guy who didn't fight at all. I've seen fatties whoop track runners, it's nothing new or uncommon.

Nothing comes to mind for me. Can you provide an example?

5. Jamo2

Ok, look at the rescent Taz Jones V Tony Doherty fight. Taz Jones whooped Doherty for the first 7 rounds. Then from then on, he slowed down, Doherty took the point and, being fitter (not having more fights) was able to keep up his speed in the last 3 rounds, winning the fight.
    It was an unfair call if you ask me, Taz taking 7 and Doherty only taking the 3, but its a good example.
    Also, the Morales Pacquiao fight. Morales was clearly winning from the word go yes, but Pacquiao was starting to gas at the end, not giving himself justice as the great fighter he is.
    Barrera V Hamed. Again, Hamed gassed in the last couple of rounds.
    Tyson V Lewis.....need i say more.
    Ali V Foreman...Prime example of using fitness against someone.

All these just sprung to mind. My memory may be hazy but im pretty sure fitness played a big role in all of them.

Your getting the picture. All these people are equally experienced yet the fittest always comes out on top.

If someone said to any boxer, right, you can run for an hour then spar for an hour, OR you can spar for two hours, im sure theyd pick the former.

Thats because track runners cant hit for shiz ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  6. Jim Sorensen

But how can it be determined for sure that physical stamina from running or other exercises was the deciding factor in the win? There are many other factors, the primary one being the amount of ring time each fighter had. Others include, who was more aggressive? Who had more heart? Who was just naturally better? Who was used to fighting other fighters with similar styles?

Never are fighters of equal experience. Even an extra few seconds more or less with fighters of varying skill can make the difference when you search for patterns or adjust your tactics (defensive, offensive).

Maybe, maybe not. Many boxers have different training methods, some preferring practice over running. If they pick the former, it's most likely because that's the method they were taught and they are being true to that method believing it contributed to their success, whether it has or not.

Seems that way. Poor guy went up and tried to smack a large boy, didn't end up with hugs and kisses.

Edit: I'm not saying physical stamina in sport boxing doesn't matter at all, mind you. But the best way to get the stamina you need for 5, 3 minute rounds is to box a guy of equal or better skill for 5, 3 minute rounds as often as you can. The human body will adjust to its exact needs to make the activity smoother...not just stamina only as in running, but also skill, speed, awareness, heart, etc.

Think about it. What should you do to become better at playing checkers? Would you set up the board and practice jumping over the enemy pieces in different strategies? Or would you simply keep playing against guys who are better than you? The latter, definately. The former can help you in certain aspects of the activity, but why only focus on portions when you can get good at the whole thing?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  7. Jamo2

Thankyou, this is the point i was waiting for.
    Look at all the best boxers in history....then look at all the not-so-good pros in history. The main difference between the both, running.
    Ali used to run with big boots on, contributing to his famous foot speed in the ring. Now if hed just sparred with big boots on i doubt hed get the same effect.
    And yes, your point is valid, to get good at something, practice practice practice...BUT, when it comes to fitness, to get fit, you must train HARD.
    And why aim to what your supposed to do, aim OVER it, so when that time comes, the actual event is a walk in the park because your body is used to so much more stress. All the other factors you mentioned are just knit picking...if we go into them well be replying all month.

Now im going to leave this alone.....as im sure you are too, i am bored of this argument.
    We both have our own different but strong opinions, and niether of us will be swayed.
    Happy running ;)

8. AOKage

AOKage New Member

I like both, but I would never give up my road work. You never know when you might have to run from danger.

9. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

how about "treadmillwork"?

10. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

roadwork is great but im sorry to say that swimming is ALOT better for ur cardio. (im a runner) im not talkin swimming laps in your circular 15 ft swimming pool u have to go to a reall swimming pool (college size should be good) and dish out sum laps you'll understand.

11. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

But if ur really poor at swimming like me it wont be much of an endurance event. It will feel like a sprint, but probably at an endurance speed.

12. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Well.. it doesn't have to be roadwork right? Any form of aerobic exercise will do the job IMO.. I do Spinning, because I'm having some trouble with my knee-caps.. It really works out for me..

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm a huge fan of breaking the work up with skipping; I love it :D it's definitely worth a try if the running is hurting the knee's.

14. Jamo2

But this is not really good for competitive boxers. Swimming softens the skin...soft skin=cuts!

15. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Hi Jamo2 - dumb question - what is "Spinning" and how does it help your cardio fitness?

16. nobelt

nobelt Valued Member

Spinning is cycling on exercise bikes. Most spinning is performed in classes to music so not sure if cycling on your own is still called spinning.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sorry Jamo2,

But unless you can back this one up with some credible evidence then I have to call you guilty of posting 'urban myths'.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard!

That means all the swimmers, triathletes and surfers would be running around with 'soft skin' and be getting cut all over the place. Somehow I don't quite think that is the case.

Where did you get that info from?

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

All of you aerobics guys need to remember that boxing is primarily an anaerobic sport... NOT an aerobic sport.

So your training should be focussing on anaerobic workouts not aerobic workouts. Huge difference in training and benefits.

While an aerobic workout once, maybe twice a week is a good thing in general and does have a certain benefit for boxing and Muay Thai... you'd be far better concentrating your effort on anaerobic workouts...

1) Wind Sprints

2) Tabatta Squats

3) Skipping anaerobically against a clock/ring timer

there are many others.

19. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

I'm not Jamo2, but I do Spinning twice a week so I think I can answer this one instead :p

Spinning is like No Belt said indoor cycling in a group. It is done on special spinning-bikes who have a flywheel which is made heavy with lead. It is done with music and an instructor.

It is both anaerobic and aerobic, and it's quite tough. It also doesn't do any damage to your knee-joints.

In my country (Holland) it's quite popular, and it's being used in the police force, the fire-fighters, etc. etc.

If you want both strong legs, and good endurance.. I suggest you take a peek at a local fitness gym
    :D

20. Jamo2

I didnt mention spinning, you musta got confused.

And STJ, i got that from one of my coaches :eek:
    Makes sense to me. I can imagine a regular swimmer having softer skin than somebody who goes in a swimming pool once in a blue moon.
    Not enough to get cut more on sharp objects or in every day life. But it can make a difference when the Refs standing there holding your head up to the light making that nasty decision....know what i mean.
    I dont have evidence so im open to ideas.....hit me.