Seventh's Super Sexy Sushi Time 2.0!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Seventh, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Congrats and good luck, Seventh!

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

2013/03/07
    Just conditioning for today's class. However, I have a training camp this Saturday. Two hours of Boxing goodness! Conditioning, technique, and best of all, SPARRING! Whoo! Now for me to fall asleep lol.

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure you watch as much as your partake in sparring. You can learn a lot from watching others and picking out/trying things you like!

4. Seventh

2013/03/09
    SPARRING, at different club (2nd time)

Background Information:
    Seventh - 158lbs/70kg, 5 feet 8 inches, 7-8 months experience of Boxing
    Ali (sparring partner) - Weight and height unknown, southpaw, 30-40 bouts though of experience.

Intro:
    The team and I, as well as Mark went to a different Boxing club to spar with some of their fighters. It was pretty sweet watching both clubs fight, both of us displayed some awesome boxing. Some some nasty hits, both given and received, as well as some pretty sweet combos and dodges.

The guy I faced, Ali, was....interesting. Could have been me, but I got the feeling he kept giving me these condescending glares outside the ring when I was warming up. Admittedly though, I don't look all that tough, was wearing a old T-shirt from debate club in middle school, and I had glasses. I pretty much looked nerdy haha. However, in the ring, he wasn't all that nice. Boxing is a full contact sport, and getting hit is part of the game. However, this guy was out of control in the ring. Mark told the coach of the other club that this was my second time sparring in Boxing ever,and that coach relayed the message to Ali. However, I managed to give Ali a harder time then he thought, and I think I ****ed him off second round, which I will explain later.

However, he was a valuable tool in adding to my experience, and I'm happy I sparred him, he was skilled.

First Round:
    This round, for the first half, was a bit of a feeler, with us gauging each other. He popped a couple of right jabs (this guy was a southpaw) that nailed me right in the eye, blinding me momentarily.

Remembering last time, I decided to work the jab and my movement. For the first half it was us jabbing at each other. I nailed him in the face with a couple of my jabs, and managed to slip and block a couple of his. Managed to even slip one of his jabs and hit his side with a left hook, though I didn't get too much power behind, partly because I was surprised that I even managed to slip his jab in the first place.

The 2nd half of this round escalated a little, with Ali bringing out the big guns, nailing me in the face with his left cross, as well as a left hook. I managed to return the favour, hitting him on the chin a few times with my right cross as well as my jab.

I think the sweetest moments of this round was me popping out the jab and nailing him right in the face, interrupting him when he tried going for the left cross/right hook. Ryan pulled to exact same thing on me when I sparred him, so I took pride in able to pull off a similar thing against my opponent. The second thing was when I popped out the jab, which he covered up too, and then I paused for a brief half second, and when he separated his guard, I launched my right cross right into his face, I could feel his face on my glove, oh so satisfying.

He then re payed me by hitting me right in the nose and spraying my nose blood all over the place haha. Round ended and I went over to Mark to get my nose plugged up.

Round 2:
    More aggressive in this round. I kept popping out my jabs and hitting his face, while constantly staying on the outside and circling to my left, since he was a southpaw.

I then decided to try something. I popped out my jab, a strong one, hitting him in the face, and then I followed up with my right cross. He already knew this, so he covered up. However, I didn't put all that much power into it. I used the right cross to give me time to close in a little, and then from there, I launched my left hook, hitting him right on and causing him to stumble. This wasn't a fight, but sparring, so I backed off a little.

This was when he got ****ed. This guy was experienced, and someone like me was making him look bad (as said my Mark, who talked to me about it later when we were in the car). This guy proceeded to launch a crap load of punches, and I mean a crap load. It soon began to descend into a brawl, with me taking more of the hits. I could tell he was angry. He nailed my with a left cross, I responded with a right hook and jab, he shot back right hook to my face and a left cross to chin, which actually missed and nailed me around the lower neck. I can't recall all the punches, but I know I ate a lot of them.

I knew I couldn't face off with him like that, and I won't lie, after taking several hard shots in a row, I was scared. I backed off whilst covering up and then worked my jab again, popping him the face a couple of times when he tried going in with the big shots. I managed to land another good ol' 1-2 as well. This is where things went south for me (lol, he's a southpaw, get it? No? I'm sorry....).

He was backing me into a corner so I launched a few jabs into their and maneuvered my way out of there. However, he threw a hard right hook, which I managed to somewhat dodge (he grazed the top of my head, was scary as hell), but then he launched a big strong left uppercut right into my chin. My head whipped back, and you could hear the sound of his punch connecting. You could also hear the sound of my painful grunt, which I'm pretty sure the entire gym heard (goddammit, it was manly grunt.....kind of.....okay not really).

I managed to back away whilst covering up (I was scared). The last 30 seconds was me popping out my jab like hell, and attempting to move. Round ended.

Final Results:
    - Bloody nose
    - Slightly swollen upper lip
    - Sore eyes and sore head
    - Right side kinda hurts

Physical/Mental After State:
    No problem with vision or thought, was able to walk around just fine, though had a slight limp. Just sore. I'll reevaluate myself tomorrow.

Good Things I did
    - Worked that jab and moved around, really happy on how my jab saved me, helped me, and beat him
    - The set up of the left hook I threw in round two
    - I took less shots then sparring with Ryan, managed to slip and block way more shots
    - I kept moving, kept pushing through
    - While I was pathetic after taking that left uppercut, I managed to stay on my fight and keeping sparring, even hitting him once or twice with my jab

Things to work
    - Jab more. Jab way more.
    - I need to grab some Vaseline and lube up my nose so it doesn't bleed.
    - Work those combos, got make them faster and more natural.
    - A couple of the hooks I landed were a bit wild, need to clean that up.
    - Work on moving constantly whist on toes, don't be flat footed.

Final Thoughts
    I'm really, really proud. Managed to give a much more experienced guy a run for his money, I didn't back down, and I got some solid, solid shots. Now to go take a nap and eat a crap load of food haha! I'm gonna feel of this tomorrow.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

HOLY CRAP YOU DID YOUR FIRST INTERCLUB?

wow you did exceptionally well!
    awesome! this is what i said before, establish a pattern and then break the pattern.

Even though i wasnt a fight, it was an interclub. getting whipped by a noob probably hurt his ego

6. Ero-Sennin

Man, that guy sounds like a bit of a jerk. Granted you should expect to receive whatever you dish out. If you caught him with a hard hook that dazed him you should expect to get it back, just not for the entire round :p.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Well done for getting in there and having a go!

Is it sad that I view you as one of MAP's babies growing up and I don't want to see you get hurt - SEE EVERYONE I have a soft maternal side too! :D

That being said, I'm glad you struck a blow for nerds everywhere! That guy will think twice before underestimating the geeky bloke in glasses! :)

8. Sylverstorm

Sylverstorm Valued Member

Go Seventh! Getting better (and stronger) fast! :)

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

10. Seventh

It's been a bit, 2 weeks I think? Bunch of stuff piled up in my life so I had to take care of it lol.

Mostly been going to training, couple of conditioning classes here and there (1-2x a week I think?).

Sparring is going great. Getting hit way, way less, and I'm hitting people way, way more. I love parrying the jab and popping one of my own, then occasionally following up with a cross. Nailed a couple of the guys with this, felt really satisfying. 1-2's, 1-1-2's, and 1-2-1's are combinations that I've been focusing on.

Also learning the range, and working the jab. Made the mistake of trying to throw a hook a little to far out, I soon corrected it after being bopped in the face haha. Did a neat thing a couple of times where a guy launches a jab, and I either slip it and launch a cross (counter I think?) or when I jab, sit back, and then spring forwards with a cross. Granted, my slipping/ducking/sitting abilities are far from perfect, with me mostly relying on putting up my guard and absorbing/rolling with the punches.

Also sparred with Near (sp?). Short guy, he's good at slipping and getting in close with a lot of body shots. Made use of the jab and kept popping him in the face when he got to close for comfort. Good practice for range for me, as well as working the jab. He got in a couple of times, put me against the ropes, but I managed to pivot and maneuver myself away.

Overall, having a great time! Mark commented that after only a few weeks of sparring, he said I'm doing quite good, and getting better with every round. Head movement is good, punches are crisp (made a bit of a crack sound when I hit Nevin in the face with a cross). Still need practice obviously of course, some of my punches do get sloppy when I panic, notably when I'm in fighting, especially with Nevin. I'll get in close with him and he'll start throwing all these hooks, I eat a lot of them lol.

Having a great time though, looking forward to more!

11. Ero-Sennin

A good way to work somebody who likes to throw hooks on the inside (I'm assuming you're against the ropes or in the defensive when this is happening?) is to clam up and throw really short punches to the person's center line when they throw the hook. You have to be comfortable with being hit though because it requires you to peek through your gloves to see what's coming.

As soon as you can judge where the hook is aimed (body or head) you throw your counter. If it's going to your right side, drop your right elbow to block and as soon as contact is made throw your right to their head. If it comes at your head you can duck it and go with a short straight to the ribs or an upper cut, or you can immediately throw a short punch to their head (but make sure your chin is tucked so your shoulder can block their hook!). Basically, whatever side the hook lands on your body is the arm you want to counter punch with. It's difficult to generate any knockout power with this tactic, but it looks good on your end and really frustrate somebody and open opportunities up to get some distance!

A good drill to practice this is getting somebody to do mitt work with you and have them wear a body shield. Do regular mitt work but also add in them throwing a looping hook that you block and immediately counter.

12. Seventh

I'm usually on the defensive, but occasionally I'll be the one to initiate it. I've tried throwing straight shots, and I've nailed people in the face with the cross notably, but seeing and evading the hooks are still a challenge. My timing and skill isn't quite there yet haha. Most of the time I panic and I back out and put some distance with my jab.

I'll try out what you suggested on Tuesday. I'll definitely be sparring because one of our fighters has a fight this coming Sunday so all of us are getting together and sparring with him.

13. Ero-Sennin

That's what I meant by being comfortable with getting hit! You can't always avoid being hit, sometimes you just have to block it so you don't get all the damage from it. This only works if you're in close though (head to head) and somewhat at midrange. Basically, any positioning you can't extend your arm fully to hit somebody : P.

I've taken to getting people to spar with me inside a tire lately. Meaning the lead foot is in the tire forcing us to only do inside fighting. Great way to force yourself to be comfortable in close distances and work on this sort of thing.

14. Seventh

Taking a few punches to the head doesn't bother me, but when I take a flurry of hooks to the head and body in quick succession, I panic, even if I block some of them. You are right when you say that I have to get comfortable in being hit.

The tire thing sounds cool, I'll pitch it to Mark when I get a chance.

15. Ero-Sennin

How's Boxing going Seventh?

16. Seventh

Hey Ero, sorry for the late reply, I've had a bunch of stuff pile up, and between school, social stuff, and training, I've been busy haha. To answer your question, Boxing has been going brilliantly. Sparring has been getting better, and I'm gradually beginning to have more fun. Just did a conditioning class today, my entire body feels like jello. Will log later, must eat now.

17. Seventh

2013/04/22
    Boxing - Conditioning

Warm Up:
    - Skipping 1 x 5 minutes
    - Push Ups 1 x 10 reps
    - Push Ups 1 x 20 reps
    - Push Ups 1 x 30 reps
    - Push Ups 1 x 40 reps

Workout (In order):
    - Heavy Bag Work 1 x 4 minutes
    - Leg Lifts (Off a Roman Chair) 1 x 1 minute
    - Decline Crunches w/ Resistance Bands 1 x 1 minute
    - Seated Cable Rows @60lbs 1 x 1 minute
    - Atomic Crunches 1 x 1 minute

1 x 30 sec break
    - Overhead Medicine Ball Run @10lbs 1 x 1 minute
    - Lower Body Up Up Down Downs 1 x 10 reps
    - Overhead Medicine Ball Run 1 x 1 minute
    - V-Ups w/ Medicine ball @10lbs and Exercise Ball 1 x 10 reps

1 x 30 sec break
    - Dips 1 x 1 minutes (Jesus my arms!)
    - Reverse Crunch w/ Straight Legs 1 x 1 minute
    - Squat n' Press @60lbs 1 x 1 minute
    - Hamstring Curls 1 x 1 minute

1 x 30 sec break
    - Burpees 1 x 20 reps
    - Push Ups 1 x 10 reps
    - Pull Ups 1 x 10 reps
    - Up Up Down Down Planks 1 x 10 reps

Cooldown:
    -Stretching
    - Joint Rotations
    - Nap :)

Notes: These are up up down downs
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpOfk_1NBYc"]Up, Up, Down, Down Challenge (Workout Videos by Everyday Health) - YouTube[/ame]
    Up Up Down Down Legs is pretty much the same as the plank, except you are standing, and you drop onto your knees. Same movement essentially. Good conditioning class, but very sore haha, arms are like jello.

Roughly consumed 3350 calories, 200g of protein, 375g of carbohydrates, and 105g of fat.

18. Ero-Sennin

Ha! No worries. I just came off a two week break where I was really focusing on getting ahead of schedule for school. Just started back up Thursday. Saw you had posted in a thread earlier and feel bad I missed you posting here!

That conditioning routine looked like a big, "let's do random crap that sucks and screw you!" type of workout :p

19. Seventh

2013/05/04
    Boxing

Pretty good class after a week break. Somehow, whenever I train for a good while and then take a short 1-2 week break, when I come back I feel like I've gotten better. Skipping was easier then I remembered, as well as working the bags (both heavy and speed). No sparring today though, which i guess is a good thing since I'm not 100%. Sparring probably Tuesday. Ended the class with a core circuit, which went like:

Circuit:
    - Russian Twists w/ Medicine Ball @12lbs 1 x 10 reps
    - Crunches 1 x 20 reps
    - Leg Lifts 1 x 10 reps
    - Body Blow Conditioning 1 x 15 reps
    - Burpees 1 x 10 reps
    x3

The Body Blow Conditioning is where a partner drops a 12lb ball on my abdominal region, I toss it back up after impact.

Good class overall.