Seven days of floor sleeping

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Sketco, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Every once in a while I very much enjoy sleeping on the floor, especially if I have a back injury. I've heard there are numerous health benefits. Since I've never found any definitive information I've decided to run a little experiment. If things go well toward the end of the week I may extend the experiment.

Night 1
    Sleep Time: 5 hours
    Sleep surface: In a sleeping bag on yoga mat over carpet.
    Notes: Being primarily a side sleeper I had issues getting to sleep. Once asleep I usually change sides several times throughout the night. I woke up each time I did because of the hardness of the floor. I woke up feeling more rested than usual but a little sore in the shoulders.

For Night 2 I plan to build a makeshift futon by folding my comforter and zipping it inside the sleeping bag.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Your what now?

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Comforter... A quited bedcover. Made from either cotton or down most commonly.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Do you like..hold it and suck your thumb rocking backwards and forwards? :)

5. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

I'm actually interested in following this experiement. Keep us updated.

6. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Silly Americans, he means duvet.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Silly dutch you mean Canadian.
    He's from Canadia. Sorry for derailing thread.

8. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Canada isn't appart of North America?? :eek: When did this happen??!!

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's part of the continent of "North America" but that doesn't make him "American".
    This has been done here before.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

ahhahahaha... total thread derail. You should be ashamed of yourself PASmith. :D

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You could just get a very firm mattress. Often a very firm mattress then padded out with a feather bed does the trick for backs. In a way that just the firm mattress or just the feather bed wont do. Odd that. But yeah granted... a few hundred bucks isn't easy to part with for a quality mattress.

12. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I slept on the floor for a few months. I put my bed in the bath so I had more space to sort through my possessions earlier in the year, and found the floor just as comfy as my ex's £1000 mattress. I don't remember why I have a bed now, I guess coz I was tired of having a stack of blankets and pillows in the corner, it does save time only having to make your bed every few days when the blankets get messed up, rather than every night. Though it's nice when "getting into bed" involves "lying down where you're standing" :D Oh yeah, it's coz I broke my rib, sleeping on the floor hurts if your rib's busted :s

13. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

When I got my first flat I slept for months on a futon on two close decked Europallets joined together with a couple of gate hinges, best sleep ever.
    Only got a proper bed when my GF moved in.

14. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Night 2

Sleep Time: 7 hours
    Sleep Surface: Makeshift futon over yoga mat and carpet
    Notes: My sleep was far less disturbed an the previous night. The "futon" is just soft enough to stop the ground being hard but not soft enough to negate the purpose of the experiment. As I didn't wake up during the night I'm not sure if I slept on my side. I woke up with a slightly sore back which disappeared half way through the day but otherwise very well rested. I used to sleep on a very firm mattress and it seems my back muscles are readjusting. No more sore shoulders though.

@slip this is not actually about back issues I just want to see if my sleep quality will improve by sleeping on a hard surface rather than simply a firm one.

15. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Night 3

Sleep Time: 7 hours
    Sleep Surface: Makeshift futon over yoga mat and carpet
    Notes: I'm pretty much sleeping normally now. I woke up with slightly sore intercostals because I'm a side sleeper but I think my ribs will adapt. It could be all in my head or that im more comfortable on a harder surface but I think I'm waking up better rested.

16. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I find the same thing about sleeping on the floor, I think il start doing that, beds take up too much space.

17. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Well just a quickie update. Seems my body has completely adapted. I've been sleeping far better than I have on my bed in a long time.

18. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Seven days? In 2013 I will be into my tenth year and find it impossible to sleep in a bed these days.All I use is a thin camping mat covered with a blanket.For the first few months you tend to get pain in the shoulders and hips but once you learn to relax its far more comfortable than a bed.

No self respecting martial artist would ever sleep in a bed.:D