Set-wise, at what point is it considered overtraining?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Vermanubis, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Vermanubis

Vermanubis Valued Member

For a while now, I've tried to stick to the median: 3 sets to failure with whatever exercises I'm doing. However, I'm concerned as to whether or not that's the correct way to be doing things.

When it comes to any kind of resistance training, I've read and been taught that if you overdo it, you're just catabolizing more muscle than synthesizing. This obviously makes sense, but I'm just confused as to where the line is drawn between achieving a max workout and just plain overdoing it. It could very well just be my imagination, but I just feel like I'm not getting the most for my effort with just 3 sets.

Thanks for any help!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A good question and the answer can only be established by trial and error.

If you feel you have more in you, then try four or five sets, give it 6 weeks and see what gains (if any) you make.

The other school of thought is that you can put in more intensity into the three sets.

3. Osu,

What are your goals?

Why do you want to achieve a "max workout"? (what does that mean BTW?)
    - You want to maximize the effects of your workout.
    - That means doing the minimum required to obtain these results.

Why do you train to failure?
    - Are you trying to train your mind, nerve impulse & muscles to fail?

I personally do not think there is such a thing as overtraining... I believe that there is inappropriate rest and recovery time for the training you are doing; I also believe that there is inappropriate training for your goals.

OSu!

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you should perhaps look at total volume (there are some existing formulas to calculate that, i think, so a google search should yield good results), instead of number of sets and reps. as a wild guess, i'd say to correlate the volume you'd do on a 3x10, a 5x5 and a double or triple, and trying not to go much higher than that overall volume with whatever set/rep scheme you might be trying.

5. Vermanubis

Vermanubis Valued Member

Basically, when I say "max workout," I mean the workout that will have me see the best results without a negative impact on my strength, or at least close to it.

When training to failure, I mean that I do a particular set until I'm completely exhausted and can't continue without a short period of rest. As for my goals, I couldn't tell you anything specific, aside from just wanting to improve whatever aspect of my body I can, strength and endurance are both considerations.

And thanks everyone for your replies!

6. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Simon has touched on one of the most important things to remember when considering any sort of resistance training: there is no set cookie cutter method.

To your point though, a lot of what will determine whether or not you're training enough or too much is intensity and frequency. Sets don't really matter that much. I mean if you do 8 sets of bench its not like you've instantly over trained.

Typically I like to shoot for 4-5 sets each for 3 or 4 exercises per bodypart. The golden rule for me though is 16 sets per bodypart. I try not to go beyond that regardless of the workout. Typically though I'll rest somewhere nearer 12 total sets. Also, with that, I try to have at least one exercise that I really blast myself with, like a compound move such as bench press for example. I then bolster that effort with more isolationy moves such as dumbell flies. That way I can maintain the highest level of intensity possible despite fatigue or failing strength.

So, in short, more than likely, without knowing more about how you train, I doubt you're overtraining. In fact I'd wager you're not training hard enough. But again, without knowing more, I can't be sure.

7. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Training to muscular failure has been around for a while. I define muscular failure as an inability to continue performing the same exercise without either lowering weight, using assistance, sacrificing form or taking an extended break.

This really only applies when full ROM is used. If you plan on engaging in partials then failure occurs when the desired partial ROM can no longer be maintained.

Training to failure is fine on occassion as it ensures that the muscles have been thoroughly challenged. I wouldnt do it routinely though as it can be very punishing to the tendons. I've seen a lot of tendonitis come from training to failure far too often.

Its a tool, like partials, or pre-exhaustion, or negatives. :cool:

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

What are your goals, and what does your current routine look like?

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Depends. Real overtraining will leave you in no possible doubt as to what is happening. You will feel very ill. As for simply training more than is necessary, or beyond what is useful, that's a bit of a gray area and it depends on what other things you've got going on in your schedule, how many exercises you're doing, etc.

10. From what I see and read, under training is a lot more frequent than over training!

Osu!