sensible stance and posture

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by chomskyite_99, Mar 23, 2005.

1. chomskyite_99

chomskyite_99 New Member

what is the best way to hold oneself in muay thai?

my own approach is:
    the hands are moderately distanced from the face, fists remain unclenched until the point of contact in a punch, one foot is placed considerably in front of the other and at about shoulder length from eachother and one is constantly moving on the balls of the feet (ready to evade or move forward quickly,) and the elbows are kept slightly tucked in to guard the midsection. i also like to stoop slightly, tucking my butt in to keep my back straight, with my chin slightly lowered.

have i missed out on anything? and are the aspects of stance mentioned so far correct and sensible?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i use a very traditional stance with "foot in a bucket" stepping. i keep my hands a few inches in front of my face, chin down, looking out from under my eyebrows. most of my weight on my back foot for switch kicks which are my main kicking weapon. i hunch a bit to keep my shoulders up. sounds almost the same as yours but you say you keep one leg far forward? thats generally a bad idea in muay thai...

3. K1Mike

K1Mike New Member

Your stance all depends on what you'e about to do. You have to switch it up constantly during a fight. When you're taking leg blows you have to get into a defensive leg stance; i.e., keep alot of weight off the front leg.

if you're attacking you will form a more aggressive stance.

you dont want to telegraph your moves, and you dont want your opponent to know where your legs or fists are going to be at all times.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think he was referring to a neutral stance, like when you are just circling and not attacking/defending. for the attack i usually put a little more weight on my front leg. when you are actually fighting stance becomes way less important than your fotwork.

5. jls1znv9999

jls1znv9999 New Member

There are 2 and only 2 stances in traditional Muay Thai. Ta Yeun Song Koom (frontal or square stance), Ta Yeun Sarm Koom (triangular stance).
    I wouldnt agree with tekken on his weight shifting to his forward foot. Makes changing up more exhausting. Now about the hands. This isnt Jeet Kun Do. Bruce lee has nothing on Muay Thai. Keep fist closed. The split second from a opening to a closing is based on your speed. Speed and power make you powerful.

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

how? and if you watch most fighters they do exactly that.

7. Iain

Iain New Member

Some "pro-fighters" claim that using a clenched fist at all times wastes too much power from your arms but I've never been in a long enough fight to notice a difference, as you usually dont clench your fists too tightly in a boxing glove.
    As far as stance goes I usually do a 90-10 percent spread between my back and front foot as speed in defense is more crucial than anything else.
    And besides having too much weight on your front foot usually breakes your leg when hit with a low-kick.
    Slouching back (Im 6'3), guard with hands facing slightly forward and elbows tight to the body and shoulders rested.