Sempai Chris :)

Discussion in 'Karate' started by chrispy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Well it's the day after now, I am still tired but it was great. Unfortunately 1) my camera sucks and 2) the batteries we had for my dad's camera were just about dead, so no video and only a few pretty crappy pictures, man I need to get my own GOOD digital camera!

Anyway it was a small grading, 2 white belts and 2 yellow belts all kids, then me and Pete both blue going for red and Yvonne (Bert is what everyone calls her though) doing a pretest for her black belt so that she could figure out everything she has to work on and such.

It started at 10:30 and we did a good warm up and stretch out of course, and then it was in to white belt stuff, stances, strikes, kicks, blocks, break falls and between each was 10, jumping jacks, 10 push ups and 10 sit-ups, then we did our first form, Might for Right which is a modified 1st heian. after that there as the yellow belt things, a few more strikes, step up kicks, shuffle kicks, front stance moving forward with blocks at the same time (all the stuff is listed on the curriculum I posted in that other thread -http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56179) so everyone did all that and that took about 2 or 2.5 hours and all told 218 push ups at that point, So all the kids there the 2 white and 2 yellow graduated after that and got their belts and we gat a 5 or 10 minute break or so.

Then they lines the three of us up, and the 3 sensei's that were there sat at a table to mark, Bert was getting checks or x's on her sheets for is that good enough for a BB or not - while me and Pete were simply being observed to show what we could do like a usual grading. So we did most of the orange, green purple and blue curriculum sheets that way - we didn't through every combination on the sheets, but enough of each to get the general idea, and I have to say that was my favourite part of the grading, generally because I find the things on our curriculum sheets pretty cool and pretty easy (most days) the highlight for me was tornado kicks and jump spin hook kick because even though the sensei's have seen me do them all before they were like "holy crap that was great!" which makes me feel good of course.

after that Bert had to do the red belt sheet so me and Pete got to relax for a bit, do a little stretching and such and then we had to do our first 4 forms all in succession. I went first and did a mighty fine job I must say, lots of power flowing and all that, Pete was next and he's very exact, where every move it technically perfect type of thing, and then Bert went and we'll leave it at that.

So then we did randori, just step through punch from the Uki, don't get hit, then a strike or 2 and then a take down. and after a few of those it was a 1-2 punch and do the same thing I did ok at that I thought, though the sensei's said I did very good.

Then I sparred Pete and got taken to school, we only had a could minutes for that but it just was not nearly as good as I would have liked, Pete's a good fighter and all, but ouch, got really popped one time in the nose, but it was fun so it was alright.

So it was all over at that point and the sensei's lined us back up, and went over their general thoughts, from what they see my strengths are randori and like "passionate" kata sort of like when I do kata you can feel me killing people or whatever y'know and the curriculum of course, and Pete was sparring or fighting in general, doing kata in a very technical fashion, where everything is precise and the curriculum as well, and Bert had a lot to work on. but the head sensei and Steve both said if the time every comes and me and Pete were to run the class for a while, or open our own place or what ever that the students we taught would be incredibly well rounded as our styles of approach, and our strengths complimented each other so much. And that was a very good compliment I though.

But then Sensei said 'these red belts your getting today are only temporary' and I was thinking of course because we'll move on to brown eventually and such and expected him to say something like that but, he said that the belts he really wanted to get didn't come in time and they would be red belts with he black strip in the middle!!!!

So for the first time in the 10 or 12 year history of our club me and Pete will be the first (and only??) people to get red belt with eh black strip because of the effort we put in and the exceptional skills we put on display each and every class and because we have so much we can show the other students in the club!

I was floored by that!

So yesterday - even without tones of pictures, was a pretty Awesome day!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  2. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

out of the 46 picutes taken, here are the only good ones :( my camera you have to be phychic to get a good picture because of the delay, and my wife just plain failed with my dad's camera - plus the batteries they got from the corner store were dead in the package, so they didn't get many from that camera. I wish I could take part and take the pictures!!

[​IMG]
    That's during the Randori

[​IMG]
    That was when me and pete were warming up for the randori

[​IMG]
    New red belts

3. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Congratualtions dude, sounds very well deserved :)

4. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Congrats Chrispy! I knew you'd get it!

5. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Y'know - I'd forgotten all about tornado kicks! :)

6. traditionalist

traditionalist New Member

well done man...sounds like you rocked it :)

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nice work :)

If you want a link to a site where they know their camera stuff for recommendations just PM me ;) :)

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Congratulations. Keep up the good attitude and training.

9. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

wow chrispy your grrrreat - no really - i think it is your humble attitude

10. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

Congratulations Chris!!! Well done!

11. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Thanks guys and gals, it was pretty hard work I have to say, but I liked it. Some people dread gradings, or get very worried about them. It's like christmas to me (even thought I am 26). I always wake up WAY too early all excited to be going and I know that if I do good I get something at the end lol :)

Still some things need some work and practice, like patience when sparring and stuff, but I got lots of time for that.

12. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

congratulations. Sounds very well deserved.
    Know what you mean about panicking before a grading, I'm starting...

Excellent job, well done.

13. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

is everyone taking the micheal or what?!

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The dude passed a grading. What's wrong with saying "well done"?

15. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

huh??

16. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Ah, take no notice. Well done, babe! ;)

17. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

18. traditionalist

traditionalist New Member

chispy...quick question
    i noticed that your Gi is blue, while everyone else in or around your
    grading seemed to have a white Gi. Is this Gi specific to your club,
    or did you have to ask permission to wear it?

just curious

19. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Most people in our club do have plain white Gis, if you are in the Black belt members group (no extra charge) you are invited to wear a blue gi top to show that you are doing extra work and are 'extra dedicated' to moving toward your black belt - and that if someone has a question about something, you should be able to help them - either knowing the answer or doing to footwork to find out for them.

20. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

hahaha - 'black belt members group' - hahahaha - 'extra dedicated' - hahahahaha - you make me laugh every time chrispy cream