Seminars on self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by ade1971, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ade1971

ade1971 Valued Member

Hi just a quick question I am attending a 2 hour knife seminar this weekend and the question is do you think this is enough time to learn knife defence and on whole are seminar like this worth while thanks

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

They will probably show you some basics.

You have to train them again later on, if you want to get "good" at them though.
    In your training or something.

After all it's only two hours.

They show you something, you take it with you and can repeat it later.
    Usually you won't even remember every technique they showed you (unless, maybe, you know a lot about the subject already), but you will take one or two techniques out of it.

You won't be proficient solely because of that seminar though; regardless if it's two hours or seven.

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

No , it may give you some pointers to take away and drill by yourself , but unless you do regularly and with some pressure it's just a bit of fun.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It massively depends on who is teaching, and how much you train the material afterwards.

In general all knife defence is very very low percentage, if you can see it, run away, if you can't, your very likely to get stabbed a lot. That's the ugly truth.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

These are the numbers I give to any session where I teach knife- they are a general guide and are illustrative as much as definitive, but they get the point across:

Unarmed vs knife - survival 10-15%

knife vs knife it is about 30%

You are better than him - he dies (30%)
    He is better than you - you die (30%)
    Both skilled - Both die (30%)
    Margin of error and bad luck (10%)

"winners drip, losers gush"

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The first thing my sensei said, when we made some defense techniques against a gun was: "The dude has a gun - you give him everything he wants. He wants your underwear, he gets your underwear!"

And the first thing for knife defenses: "Most of them won't work, like they do here. You or the both of you will get hurt. All the time. A bad guy usually doesn't attack only once, so you can do your technique, he will slash fast and often. So - try and run away."

We do both, but usually only because it's part of the curriculum or for the "fun" of it (yes, during training it can be fun), but once we do them, we are always remembered to give a bad guy everything he wants and only try to defend, when we essentially know, that we got killed otherwise.

But I lose the topic, sorry :eek:

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

My grandfather teacher (who used blades in both war and in civil self defense) said 30% chance of being maimed for life if you win.

If a seminar helps you to realize just how deadly knifes can be, its well worth doing.

The whole knife defense technique thing is a lottery. Yes there are definitely things you should avoid doing. And there are techniques that can work effectively with practice. but if you don't practice them regularly and only pull them out in a knife fight you might be worse off than if you didn't learn any knife defenses at all and just used strikes and applications that you really know well and practice regularly .

8. Hannibal

This is sadly the caveat - 90% of what I have seen on edged weapon defense is junk....and dangerous junk at that

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re37IVYO_MY"]Eastern Promises bath fight - YouTube[/ame]

not disputing. but when i read your post, just thought of this scene.

10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Not really a fan of the expression "Knife Defense" as it is a gross misrepresentation of what is being 'sold'. As has already been outlined above, 90% of what is commercially marketed is not only absolute garbage, but will also likely embody you with the false notion that knife attacks are static and sterile, and defending yourself against such is all to easy.

Of course, whatever you choose to name a class/course/seminar is just semantics, with the content on offer being what really matters, and for my money, as long as 'Knife Awareness' is being covered, then this is worth more than many hours of wrist locks, disarms or the like.

Travess

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

One of the things I like about STAB programme is that it works from the assumption that you are already getting shanked to christendom and the techniques and strategies go from there.

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I would like to hear from Hannibal, JWT John Titchen and Langenschwert about this

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  13. Knee Rider

Which bit in particular? What is your opinion, also? :)

14. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

I think that the most important thing when in a dangerous situation is not the technique, but the mind. If you can keep cool in a critical situation, then boxing or old man fighting can be effective; if you freak out and start trembling, then all the samurai,special forces, ninja bruce muhamand ali will not help. IMO.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

TBH..I wanted to know if they heard of it

Also, I was looking for a website and/or videos...which when I find something, it will not open for me

Sometimes it is hard to keep cool when adrenaline is pumping

16. Knee Rider

17. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

It's always hard to keep cool in such a situation. But i argue that some techniques, are made for people trained to be "cool :)" The low vs high % is only viable when you consider who was meant to use what.

18. Hannibal

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZO17yWi7I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZO17yWi7I[/ame]

Karl Tanswell is a fellow Manc

He has been on the scene for years and has a pedigree in JKD/BJJ and Kali. He has also actually been stabbed in real life, which was the genesis of a lot of his subsequent material

Karl was also - famously - the centre of the "Seni Incident" aka "The Tanswell Incident" , where he carved a Systema practitioner a new ass

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  19. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

Would you agree then that the mind set, coming from experience or otherwise, is more important then the technique?

20. Hannibal

Mindset trumps most things