semi contact

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by PHANTOM, Feb 3, 2004.

1. PHANTOM

PHANTOM New Member

Hi all

Would anyone know of any good exercise to improve my speed for semi contact sparring (Point scoring)? I was told that I should attack fast as soon the referee says go. (which is where I lack the speed in). Thanks in advance Di.

2. silverfox_y2k

silverfox_y2k Valued Member

Hi,

In my experience practicing as much semi-contact fighting is the best excercise. However, I have found that doing lots of skipping has helped me developed better foot work and coordination. Semi contact itself is more like a "game" than combative IMHO, and tactics like hitting/attacking you opponent as soon as the referees calls "go" is a good idea.
    Furthermore, training dynamically (sp?) when running is also a good way to develop the legs. When I used to compete in semi-contact I use to run round the block and sprint between lamposts (approx. 50 to 100 meteres), then slowly jog to recover and sprint again, repeating the process as necessary. Such training helped with my stamina and the ability to boost/blitz when needed during my fights.

Hope this helps

3. PHANTOM

PHANTOM New Member

Thanks heaps Silverfox

I will start sprint & jog tonight, I have speed in my punches but Ive got to throw the rest of me in there a bit quicker. :)

4. Bwuce

Bwuce New Member

hi , i'm new here,i also practice kickboxing.
    speed depends on allot of things,example : reaction speed !
    if te ref says fight you just go, like a rocket,know what i mean?
    if you have a great reacion, reflex, then you have speed, this is one of the keys to be fast ,other "keys" are just: training, expierince.. so on !

5. booj

booj New Member

Sprinting is good for explosive speed as as plyometrics.

Practice drills of explosive blitz techniques and plenty of application during sparring.

Attacking as soon as the ref says go can be handy if used occaisionally to break up the rythym of the contest, but certainly not as standard.

6. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

shadowboxing combos, focus mitt and kick pad drills

7. Bwuce

Bwuce New Member

can someone explain this : => plyometrics
    dont understand this, cause my english aint so good !

8. booj

booj New Member

not sure mate, do a google search perhaps...its basically like resistance training, but rather than do a squat for example, you would jump from a small box onto the floor and straight up into a squat. I'm not very good at explaining it, but its apparently good for explosive power.

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's basically training for pure explosiveness.

eg. a plyometric press up is one where you press up so your hands leave the floor at full extension, then lower yourself down slower as you go down, and exploding up again. Search the forums, or maybe look at the bottom of the page to find relevant information.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Too be honest, I feel suddeness is more important than speed.
    As im sure you've realised, or had mentioned, that pylometrics excersizes would be a good idea to help get that explosive burst.

Info on performing pylometic excersizes

Other than that, something which helps me alot in kickboxing is the ability to perform a stop hit, especially when my instructor goes for a spinning back kick and I manage to stop kick his leg causing him to fall over :)

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Fight for one point.

10 seconds or both off.

Winner stays on.

Best training I ever did in my life.

12. booj

booj New Member

In reference to the first post, it would not be a good strategy to attack your opponent straight off every time the ref says go!! This is effective if used intermittently, but your opponent will pick you off with a counter if this is your only method of attack....

In relation to Andy Murray's last post, this is a good training exercise, but also try variations e.g. one of you is one point down and has 10 seconds to get the point, the other just has to avoid conceding a point to win..

cater for every situation.