Selling on Ebay

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Bit of an odd topic perhaps....

But have any of you done a bit of selling on eBay? Any general tips or information you can share?

I've bought a fair bit of vinyl off eBay and come across a fair amount of scammers (bootlegs and reissues being sold as first pressings etc, condition not being as good as listed etc etc), but never sold anything, so it's all new!

But anything I should know as a seller?

------

(Unnecessary details)

I used to buy a ton of magazines (music stuff, tattoo mags, FHMs etc, board sports, H&F/body building) and now have a fair few boxes of the damn things filling up the basement. I was going to bin them or burn them, but decided to stick them on eBay for a couple of euros. I had a look around eBay last night and found that some of the magazines are going for a couple of quid, but a lot are going for 15 or 20! I dunno if people actually pay that, but that's the price.

If I could get a bidding war between two Japanese guys for an FHM with Carmen Electra on the front, who knows....I could buy those stupidly expensive camera lenses I want!

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Use Paypal, and for expensive items use the best postage available with signatures and tracking, because scammers could buy something like a phone or laptop and say they never recieved it, and if they call up a Paypal dispute, they could win. With the right delivery you eradicate those problems.

3. Bozza Bostik

Yeah. That's something I thought about....and then forgot....I don't actually care as I am happy to just to get rid of the stuff and give it to people who want it. But I can't be bothered with the hassle if things go wrong.

Mind you, I don't want to pay the postage myself!!

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

You charge them for postage. If things do go wrong it's incredibly easy to set up a dispute or issue with PayPal, that's why it works so well and is incredibly safe. I've bought PSPs, cheap phones from abroad with ebay/Paypal and even expensive computer parts 700-900£ graphics cards etc, and sometimes they seemed a lil fishy to me because the prices were too good to be true. But thankfully I've never had any issues.

5. Bozza Bostik

I know.

What I mean is if I get scammed, I lose the money for the magazine, which I don't care about, but I have basically paid the postage for the person to get a free magazine. I'm not making sense...no worries :)

Yeah, I've had a few problems with eBay in the past and got everything sorted out relatively quickly without any problems. Still, made the switch to Discogs for record buying as there's fair less scammers and the system works a little better...it's not auctions though.