self teaching

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by zombiekicker, Jul 23, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Does anyone think that with 18 months ninjutsu some childhood judo and some jkd training, that with focus I could improve just training at home, since my jkd club is in transition as we can't train at the police station from today. Stretching, footwork blocking, shadow boxing, strength training, can I improve with what I know already?

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Strength and conditioning can obviously be worked on alone. I'd focus on that till you can train again. However if you can find some good reference material on boxing/kickboxing and can afford a bag (and have space to hang it) then you could work your striking fundamentals too. Movement drills such as bridge shrimp and sit out could also be incorporated into a weekly routine for solo training.

Is there a boxing or judo club in your area?

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You could work your strength and conditioning at home, and include shadow boxing, footwork drills and bag work into your conditioning sessions, and the same with ground work drills that you know, but honestly it doesn’t sound like you have enough experience to improve your skills on your own
    Ironically the only art I suspect you have enough time in to drill at home correctly is ninjitsu but not sure that’s the road you want to go down

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I've got a freestanding bag in the garden so striking is no problem, yeah there's judo and Bjj, but I'm a bit scared of the Bjj, did a class when I was 18.5 stone lost 3 stone since January, couldn't walk for days, the warm-up was intense to say the least

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Lol sanshin and kihon happo did everyday for a year

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Anything can be improved at home. You just need to understand it will probably won't reach the same level as it would with an instructor and training partners.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

GET YOUR ASS DOWN THERE AND SUCK IT UP ;)

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Short snd simple answer.

No.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Get back down to the bjj class.

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

18 months of sanshin and kihon will not be enough to not need a teacher. After that time you will still move awkwardly and not understand it in any depth at all.

11. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Even if you'd do everything perfectly without an instructor to check your technique, I think it's all kinda meaningless if you don't have regular sparring sessions to put everything together.
    Especially in JKD, it's essential.

But with that said, I've read your earlier thread and I understand you want to make the most of a less than ideal situation.

Physical conditioning is something that one can easily do by oneself.
    Shadowboxing and footwork practice should work at home.
    Maybe there's a boxing gym around that let's you use their punching bags for a small fee now and then?

But if nothing else, just get some of the guys and spar in a backyard. Spar spar spar, don't worry about learning new techniques.
    You'll probably learn a lot more this way than reading some stuff or watching youtube and trying to figure it out yourself. Just spar man :)

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Cheers guys, the jkd may continue, just don't know where

13. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah I need to man up :)

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty much. Every ninja I've ever met talked about discipline and hard training. BJJ is hard training, but it's worth it.

15. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

nah, just go for Ameri-Do-Te. You can practice your kill-face at home, just be carefull theres no mirror nearby :p

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Tiger claw

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I've never met a ninja, they are invisible

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

No, but you can work fitness at home and go to a local BJJ or judo class, once you've dried out of course.

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

It's happening as we speak, back on the green tea and kiwi,cucumber chilli ginger grapes and flax seeds smoothie tomorrow, I'm a stubborn man when I go full health I really go full health

20. simondavies1978

simondavies1978 New Member

Make up you own martial art, sell dvd's online make loads of money hire bodyguards who actually train! Find a club train, train hard, and in regard to sparring at home, if you do, make sure its with sensible guys/girls.

Go light with headshots its not worth the brain damage!