Self Taught in Shotokan: Is he ready

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Gekido03, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

well he managed to hit a nerve within the MAP community it seems.
    Plus I'm in the midle of my GCSE exams, noone can convince me that this is a great age at the moment.

2. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Can we just say "Yes, why not?" to these sorts of questions in the future and allow the thread to die? I'd much prefer to have my parentage called into question by a child who had gotten their ass kicked, but learnt a valuable lesson, than the same from an infant with the mental capacity of a stunned, aged donkey, who has mystically inherited the knowledge of Funakoshi himself.

Damn funny thread though.....

3. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

4. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Same here, I'm taking my Junior Certs in 2 weeks. I want to die..

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'd like to be Adam's age again. 17-18 was a fanastic time.

I'd rather chew my leg off than be 15 again

6. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

Attached Files:

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

That's a proper Home Study Course - You get the Black Belt with the course materials. :D :eek: :D

8. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

How can you perfect routines (1-step, 2-step) when you are basing your performance on the opinions of people who do not know enough themselves? It's like the blind leading the blind with you. I don't even think you know the various rules accepted by different organiziations concerning freeform sparring.

How do you know whether you have perfected a partcular kata or not? How do you correct yourself? Do you know if the stance you have taken is to wide? Are you sure that the arm is oriented in that way in a particular kata?

I think the person you have been in contact with is pretty irresponsible. Is he physically with you whenever you need correction? In that light, have you ever thought that you needed correction?

And please do not use the Bruce Lee argument on how he created his own style because he is far from self-taught. He came from somewhere and worked from it. He at least knew enough of what he was doing to be able to judge himself.

9. sean

sean THOR!

Why does the name 'Shotokan2004' not exist?

-Sean

10. sean

sean THOR!

My bad, Sorry I just saw above one of his posts 'banned' :eek:

11. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

well he had a really great run on MAP then. Made himself look like an idiot then banned.

12. sean

sean THOR!

Isnt it most likley to be Gekido03? looking at the join dates it would point that way, and with Gekido03`s past record of hoax threads/posts I imagine this is quite possible.

-Sean

P.S If it isnt Gekido03 then I apologise

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It isn't Gekido03

14. sean

sean THOR!

Then I apologise, Sorry Gekido03.

*drops and does 50*:mad:

-Sean

P.S How did you know it wasnt Gekido03? :eek: :confused:

15. YODA

Different IP adresses from different States.

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Actually, he got banned for gobbing off to the sin bin notification email you get sent when you end up there. If he'd kept his mouth shut, he'd have been allowed back on MAP as normal, but some people are just to indignant I guess...

17. sean

sean THOR!

Ah I see

18. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Just wanted to add my 2c worth..

There's just no way this guy is "ready" to test for his BB in such a short time and without working in a dojo with supervision. Mcdojo alert.....!

WHO corrects his mistakes, and who does he spar with??

Who does he grapple with apart from his conscience? :rolleyes:

Who teaches him how to use his weapons correctly??

What a crock. It's so ridiculous that I'm sure it must be a joke.

We have 2 grading to BB in July from our dojo and they are very dedicated & talented but still need a lot of supervision to keep those mistakes from creeping in. They have been working towards this for 5 years. They need partners to spar and grapple with and to refine techniques.

If you are grading in any system you need an instructor and a dojo, not a book, website or video. No ifs buts or maybes. An instructor is necessary and so is the dojo.

To go get a black belt in any other way is just cheating yourself - you might as well get any kid to just go to the MA shop and buy a black belt & call himself a BB which is I'm sure what this bloke is going to do.

What a joke. Sorry to offend anyone, but I take my MA very seriously.

19. sean

sean THOR!

Wow, I cant believe this thread is still growing :p

Do you think he will take ANY notice of what has been said about him :confused:

-Sean

20. YODA

I think this has just about run it's course now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.