Self Taught in Shotokan: Is he ready

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Gekido03, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Sorry Mrs Owt, I apologize, I was just reading all these flaming posts and I kinda took yours as one too and I was insinuating an irony in the signature, but in rereading, yours was quite alright and I apologize for the wisecrack.

To the topic: How is him not studying under a specific master and not being acredited by an 'organization' make him practice Shotokan any less if he fulfillls all the requirements?

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

No hard feelings! :D Sometimes tempers flare, no big deal. I just thought you didn't like Winnie the Pooh :( . Now that is something worth fighting over! :p

3. Tika

Tika New Member

*big hug* for being nice:)...

To the topic: It has nothing to do with not being accredited to an organization. It has to do with him feeling that he is ready to test for a black belt after teaching himself for a year with no training from any instructor at all. There are eighteen million threads on here debating the validity of self teaching, so Im not going to repeat all the thoughts on that, but mainly I posted because I wanted to give you a hug for being nice :)

4. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Winnie The Pooh was a real, live bear!

5. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I know, he was named after Winnipeg, the city I live in. :)

6. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

I know, He was the Army mascot around there. Christopher Robin really existed too. I used to live in Ont. so Canadian factoids are lodged in my brain.

7. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

8. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Sorry about this shotokan but i realy cant believe you believe this.

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE YOUR READY FOR SHODAN YOU MUST BE TRAINING 7 DAYS AWEEK 5/6 HOURS ADAY. IF YOUR NOT THEN DONT FOOL YOURSELF AND IF SOME TEACHER SAID YOU ARE THE HE IS A MONEY MAKING LIAR

THERES ONLY ONE WAY TO SEE IF YOU ARE GO TO VAROIUS DOJOS AND SEE HOW THE STUIDENTS WHO ARE TAUGHT AND CORRECTED PROPERLY ARE DOING,
    IM NOT TALKING ABOUT IF THEY COULD TAKE YOU OR ARE HARD

IM TALKING ABOUT THE IMPORTANT STUFF FOR SHODAN- FORM

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Psst.....

Attached Files:

• Kcap.jpg
      Kcap.jpg
      File size:
      18.3 KB
      Views:
  10. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! Easy with the caps Aiki, all capital letters sound like your shouting ;)

|Cain|

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Maybe he was. :D

12. 'Rant' - Fair enough, since I said it myself
    'Rediculous Rage' - Hardly
    Uncalled for' - It was called for by the very nature of the initial post and the follow ups.

If you disagree (which judging by following post you can't make your mind up anyways), give some foundation.

... regardless ...​

I'm still not convinced.

I've had students who have come across from other Karate styles with a great deal more experience in martial arts (more closely comparable to Shotokan than Aikido!) who have good skills and a want to progress. These 'flaming people who aspire to do things' have indeed shown great skill, speed, control etc, but cannot expect to be ready for a dan grading in a short term capacity (i.e. 1.5 years).

We're talking about someone who has had no experience in karate (of any sort) before, who has learn off of an internet site and has adopted a 'cyber sensei' to back/sponsor him through a grading which is, in my mind, spurious to say the least.

I'm still waiting for more information, so the jury is out but currently I'm laughing socks off!!!

Which Org/Sensei will be grading you?
    Which Org/Sensei says you are capable?
    What is the syllabus for attaining such a dan grade when no kyu grades have ever been gained?
    Do you get free toy with your 'Happy Grading'?

Excuse my highly amused attitue but the information you are giving us is ambiguous to say the least and I see no reason why I should stop laughing at the idea as yet.

Thanks

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  13. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

In answer to the question origionally posed I think it's safe to say that nearly member of this site is going to say no. If you think that haning around longer suddenly everyone will say yes then you could be here a while.

It may be just this site perhaps, but self teaching is not generaly considered suficient for much more than yellow belt in karate. Let alone Black. Sorry.

14. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

haha

hahahaha

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaahaahaha.

I love people like you.

15. Adam

Adam New Member

This thread is awesome! I rate it 5! :D

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Shame he wasn't stupid enough not to check the rules before posting.

Personal attacks - 3 days in the Sin Bin for you son.

17. ... three more days with no answers (unless you want to try and cover some of this again Gekido03?) :cry:

I would like to know what city Shotokan2004 is in?
    I'm sure there must be a moderatly good Shotokan dojo in the vicinity!

Thanks

18. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Jamie Thomson, I used flaming as a verb type, not a descriptive gerund for people. I was trying to say that just because someone has put alot of work into one's study doesn't mean they automatically write someone off. I am being an example of that.

Shotokan, good luck to you man, I have company now, so I will make more posts later.

19. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

ao are you self taught aswell disciple?

20. I'm fully aware of the context in which it was meant Disciple, but you didn't seem to have any structured point other than to calm my hyper-ventilation!?!??

I'm simply trying to piece together a few points to further understand Shotokan2004, of which a majority are missing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.