Self Taught in Shotokan: Is he ready

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Gekido03, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotokan2004

Shotokan2004 New Member

Yes I am the martial artist being discussed in the tread.

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

And the query on how you can be classed as self taught if you study under someone?

3. Shotokan2004

Shotokan2004 New Member

And Yes I am truely self taught. Heres how I learn this art. I go to a certain web page, then I get the belt requirements I need, or suite me. Then I train in the Kihon, Kumite, and Kata. I work all the way up to were I know for a fact Im ready. Then I practice it alot more, and then set a date for test.
    And thats why I am self taught.

4. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

so where does the sensei come into it?

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  5. Shotokan2004

Shotokan2004 New Member

Perhaps, it was a missunderstanding, but people talking behind somones back aint right.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It was placed up for discussion behind your back.

If you don't like people discussing it, fine, but take it up with the poster, who brought the topic up, since he's a friend of yours.

Put something on a public board, and people are going to discuss it, whether you're here or not.

7. Tika

Tika New Member

Well that seems to be How you teach yourself, but why do you teach yourself? Cant afford lessons? If thats the case I can understand....

Then what about the sensei question?

And how can you teach youself kumite if youre by yourself?

How do you know for a fact you are ready?

And why do you find the neeed to test?

These were all reasonable questions being brought up. You were not attacked. Why didnt you post this yourself to begin with? Why did your buddy do it?

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Kumite with who? Who corrects your mistakes? How can you say your learning shotokan or get a bb in it when your not studying under someone who is part of the lineage?

BB at 15 and training in a year? If you go to a class and train there I am sure you will get huge wake up calls on what you have taught yourself

|Cain|

9. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Can you post the adress to this site. I promise not to flame them, I just want to see how one goes about getting an online BB.

10. Shotokan2004

Shotokan2004 New Member

Thanks!!!

Thank You so much for your understanding, To answer all the questions, How do I practice my Kumite,.. I have 2 brothers that love martial arts just as much as I do. They tell me the rating of effectiveness of my self defence.
    How do I know what Katas to do?.. Another website that has been very loyal to me made a site that shows step by step directions in pics on how to profect them. Whay I dont go to a real school?.. I have been wanting to do Shotokan Karate for a long time, the problem is finding one that is in my city"There are no schools that teach Shotokan." The site I do this on is not just 1 perticular site but the main one I go on would be The Cyber Dojo.com
    the guy that made that keeps in touch, and poses as my sensei. How do I know Im ready?.. When I can complete my Kata, Kumite, and Kihon without resitation, and become my 1st form of self defence. But, my whole philosophy is "Spirit & Mind 1st, Techniques 2nd." And I belive That that is the key to becoming a black belt. Im close to a black belt, but the fact still remains, I just got my Brown Belt. Black belt testing is June the 1st.

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Helpful, constructive and mature comments please! ;)

12. Nerevar

Would you mind posting all the sites your learning from in link form (make a post here, click the little globe with a 2 link chain logo and copy/paste the adresses into it 1 at a time.) I just want to be completely informed about what your doing before passing any judgement.

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Why bother with training at all, that's what I say!?!

I could give you a black belt certificate under the AAKWA (Almighty Adam Karate Wataaaah Association) for 50 quid, with a belt. That would make you cool for sure.

Seriously.

Ps. please don't ban me :D I'm trying to be funny here.

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'm kinda hoping Shotokan2004 is too :rolleyes:

15. Tommy_P

Tommy_P New Member

Yes, it's all in your mind ;)

Tommy

16. Shotokan2004

Shotokan2004 New Member

How Dare You! quit thriving, and feeding off of trying to put me down, I can garrentea, im a far better martial artist than you will ever be, and Im self taught. If that tells you any thing.

17. Topher

Topher allo!

err....where did you obtain your brown belt, and previous belts. You said theres no shotokan schools in your city, so who graded you?

18. Shotokan2004

Shotokan2004 New Member

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hommer J Simpson,

How stupid could you possibally be?. If Im self taught who do you think tested me?. NoBody, THATS WHO!!!!, NOONE!!. But I can tell you this, Im testing in front of a real master. Like a good freind said, "At least youll fail in the eyes of a master." And it dont get any truer. I will pass. And then every one whos mocked me on this thread, can shove it!!!.

19. Tika

Tika New Member

This is just silly.

20. Nerevar

Shoto, your not making sense. So you gave yourself the rank of brown belt? You CAN do this, just not in an established style. If you are doing Shotokan, you must be taught SHOTOKAN, and earn ranks from qualified practitioners of SHOTOKAN. You could say you do your own style, influenced by Shotokan. But that one site alone isn't going to give you the right to call yourself a Shotokan Karateka.
    Thats like me saying I'm a Special Forces Comando because I watched Rambo. Saying that is ridiculous, and complete disrespect to all military personel worldwide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.