Self Taught in Shotokan: Is he ready

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Gekido03, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

My friend has been self teaching himself in shotokan for over a year now and the time of his blackbelt testing is approching. Do you think he is ready.

Consider: He has acception skill in Shotokan

He has the feel for combat from countless street fights

He Has two years of experience in Aikido/Aiki-jujutsu

He has one first place in forms a number of times in tournaments

2. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Teaching HIMSELF shotokan?

Ok all the issues of correction of improper technique, blablabla, i'll leave to the actual karateka.

Now, first of all, unless you are in the top 99.99% of people in the world, you can't earn a black belt in a year and expect it to mean anything.

Second of all, the whole idea of self taught falls apart because there's noone to spar with!

3. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'm in complete agreement with Hedge again. This is just too silly for words.

How can you teach yourself Shotokan?
    How can you be ready for Shodan in a year?

When I was a kid I taught myself to play the piano. My piano playing sucks. There are some things you simply have to have a teacher for.

Mike

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hmm, will I even consider that this thread is a serious question??

Nah dont think so :(

5. I do not believe that this person could have a grasp of the 11 or so kata which should be second nature to him by now, nor do I believe that he could perform the 4 very stringent sparring requirements of most Orgs (3/5 step, 1 step, semi-free and free).

Who says?

A street fight will not prepare you for the control, speed and timing required for a BB grading. Sparring (as most will profess) is a world away from street fighting!

Two forms which are massivly detached from Shotokan.

Where (out or interest)?

Negating all of the above points, surely he needs a sponsor? Most Orgs I've come accross have a requirement for a registered instructor to 'sign them off' as being capable of grading, based on various fundamental requirements.

... unless he had Mr Miyagi's help, which of course would then quash my argument ...

I'm quite intrigued as to who this person wishes to grade under (Org/Assoc and Sensei)?

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  6. Cain

Cain New Member

Gee! BB in a year? Not to mention teaching himself :rolleyes:

I don't think any more needs to be said on the subject ;)

|Cain|

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Gekido03 - Two questions:

1. Has he taken any other gradings previously, or is this his first?

2. Where does one go to take gradings when you are self taught?

Cheers. :)

8. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I think it's the same office where you register your hands as deadly weapons.

-David

9. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

The problem with self teaching is that if you do something wrong there is noone to correct you, there is only a certain amount that can fit in a book.
    Especially if this is his first grading he's somewhat throwing himself in at the deep end.

10. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Ouch

Hmm I'd have to go with Hedge and his/hers followers.

This is plain silly.

Jamies questions need to be answered... and jamie is right as Hedge.

I think this is a strange everyone agrees thread..

Sho dan and Sho dan is not the same. It greatly depends on dojo, seinsei, organisation.... and so on. But as many seinsei have said in our dojo: "I wish my students where your level and trained like you."

But also Sho dan is just new starting point in the journey to become a good karateka.

But still just silly.

Regards Kerlings.

11. Disciple

Disciple New Member

YOu mentioned he has exceptional skill in Shotokan? Is that by your assesment or other's?

Also, if he has the permission (which he must have from SOMONE to test) for his Sho Dan, there must be a reason. I mean, whatever organization it is must have said, ok, you can test and try. What org. is it, by the way.

Also, for the point about sparring, yeah it is different from streetfights, but if you can street fight, it may be easier to tone it down to sparring than going from sparring to streetgighting.

I wish best of luck to your friend.

12. Tommy_P

Tommy_P New Member

Was he a good instructor?? :D

What do you mean your tired......do that kata again, and then give me 50 pushups!!!!! :eek:

I wonder if he confused himself everytime he yelled "grab a partner" :confused:
    Tommy

13. Picksey

Picksey New Member

I'd be very suspicious of any BB earned in a year - even if this is achieved through intensive training and exceptional tuition. Already I'm thinking 'McDojo'...

You say he has experience of countless streetfights and 2yrs of aikido/aiki jujutsu. Firstly (ignoring the fact that one of the philosophies of most MA, especially aikido, is to aviod fights) none of these are Shotokan and experience in one does not imply competence in another. Especially since the difference in philosophies behind aikido and karate are quite significant. Secondly, 2yrs isn't very long in the world of MA either so I'd be skeptical about him being particularly 'experienced' in these, too (plus you don't say whether he's been learning these other styles from an instructor or self tuition).

All this aside, and accepting the possibility that your friend shows exceptional potential in whatever it is he is teaching himself, shotokan is a specific MA with specific characteristics and a specific syllabus, which I belive needs to be taught by someone with considerable experience in shotokan. I have no doubt that some people are lucky enough to have a natural aptitude for MA, but to learn a particular style, you need to be taught.

Finally, I assume your friend must be very dedicated in order to have reached potential BB status in a year. I doubt many credible organisations would award a BB to someone who's only been training for a year, and it would be a shame for him to undermine his efforts by accepting a BB that doesn't mean anything.

14. sean

sean THOR!

Its been said in the above posts, but I am considerabley new to MA in comparison to most MApers and still have the view that a Black belt in any martial art is questionable as whether its legit.

-Sean :)

15. sean

sean THOR!

'a black belt obtained within a year'- Correction

Sorry
    -Sean

16. Tommy_P

Tommy_P New Member

You may not have been that far off base the first time :D

Tommy

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Did Amazon teach him that as well?

Anything I would say would just echo the comments above.

False grades leads to false belief in your ablities. I've only every sparred with one or two self taught students (at the most) and they believed they were far better than they actually were.

18. Tommy_P

Tommy_P New Member

I knew a guy who was self taught and he claimed to be undefeated :D
    (think about that)

Actually they would have been "draws"

Tommy

19. Gekido03

Gekido03 New Member

This is my bud we're talkin' about here, all I asked was if you thought he was ready. I didn't ask you to make a mockery of him so back off on the insults.

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I guess I am just wondering if he is self-taught and and naturally gifted, why does he need the validation of strangers who don't know him and haven't seen his development? I am surprised someone so self-motivated even cares to test for his BB - I would think that his level of skill which he feels is adequate to be considered equal of a dan ranking test would be enough for him.

I am not insulting or mocking him, I am just surprised that he would bother to get a groups ranking if he has gone this far on his own. Seems he is secure enough without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.