Self Defense Videos Any Good?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by #1 Stutta, Dec 7, 2003.

1. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I found a site with some pretty good testimonials about their self defense videos. Here it is:

Street Self Defense

Check it out and tell m what you think about the videos from what they say.

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Could be very good. Might not be. I don't know enough about the instructor.

You should also check out Tony Blauer's videos. They aren't fancy (almost all of them were shot live at seminars) but his material is excellent. Very well thought out, very scientific. And most importantly I've seen his students practice what the videos preach and succeed in pressure tested self defense situations. You can find his video library here:

http://www.tonyblauer.com/products/index.html

- Matt

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

A good measure of the integrity of a system is how they promote it. Any system that starts by telling you how BAD every one else is rather than how GOOD they are has gotta be suspect.

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Actually I just reviewed the "Street Self Defense" page and I'm getting a bad vibe about this guy. Mainly from the following paragraph:

Reproduced from the page -

"About that time a friend of mine invited me to train with his master instructor. He claimed that his instructor taught an awesome and realistic system of street self-defense. I was curios to see what this guy was all about, so I accepted. It didn’t take long to realize that he was right."

So he worked with an un-named "Master Instructor" who opened his eyes about self defense. The fact that this individual won't name the instructor that he learned self defense from is kinda dubious to me. Mainly I believe in giving credit where it's due. Plus you have to wonder how much of this material he developed. Expecially after reading the next part:

Reproduced from the page -
    "This is what I learned:

The natural effect of real aggression causes what is called an "adrenaline dump". This fear induced high volume shot of adrenaline is normal and natural and cannot be stopped, even by experienced black belts.

The effects of this "adrenaline dump" can be devastating, especially if you are not prepared for it.

The main problem is that many of the techniques that are taught in traditional training are too tricky or too complicated for the average person to properly execute. This is especially true under the duress of an all out street attack. Techniques that are highly complicated tend not to be executed properly, if at all, when the pressure is on and adrenaline levels are high."

All of the language/verbage that he is using up to this point and beyond is directly out of the Tony Blauer text book. I don't wish to incorrectly charge this guy with repackaging Blauer's (or another instructor's) material as his own, but that could be the case.

Personally, while what I think he lists on his site is correct, I have a bad feeling about this guy.

- Matt

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  5. Ein

Ein Guest

It'll be good againts stupid fighters, but I think if they came in contact with somebody who actually knew a descent amount of MA or was just a descent fighter alone I don't think it would do much. The concentrate more on how to get out of a head lock, or when somebody trys to joke you from behinde. In a simple term, it's teaching you to run away (well get away) not to have the ability to fight them.