Self Defense From A Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by MasterBob, Sep 11, 2005.

1. MasterBob

MasterBob Valued Member

I recently had my first wheelchair bound student join our school. He is a 24 year old young man that was involved in a car accident 2 years ago. Even though he doesn't have the use of his lower body, he has great upper body strength, and above all, the desire to learn. We are modifying the Combat Hapkido techniques so that he will be able to establish a foundation for future techniques. Even though he has only been training for three weeks, he has been a real inspiration to myself and the other students. I am even planning on securing a wheelchair, which will give everyone the opportunity to live what he lives each day...............He drives 30 minutes each way to train with us. The instructor for the school that he checked out near his home told him "when you can get out of that chair, I'll train you"! And this guy calls himself a Master!!!!!

Regardless of your style, are they any other students or instructors that have disabled students training in their schools? I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Master Bob Ingersoll
    CA State Director / ICHF
    West Coast Director / IPDTI

2. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Good on him, it takes a lot of courage to do something that generally requires the use of all limbs. Good luck with his training

3. soctt03

soctt03 New Member

Dear Bob - have a look at my other posts on this site (try, 'promoting awareness...' & 'martial arts for people...'). I recently tried to coach a w/chair user but he felt it needed too much adaptation compared to 'normal' coaching so he decided martial arts wasn't for him. A shame really as it still remains my ambition to coach someone in a w/chair, also someone who has been literally totally deafblind since birth. My own personal experience principally covers sensory loss (sight and hearing). Good luck with your work. With the guy I just mentioned it had my head working overtime in ways in which I could adapt skills for him. As I said a shame he didn't want to continue.

4. MasterBob

MasterBob Valued Member

Scott03
    Having this student has been a welcome challenge for me. I guess you could say it has brought new meaning to what I do 6 days a week. Don't give up. There are more w/chair students just waiting for the opportunity to learn from people like you and me.

Bob Ingersoll

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Check out the disabled MA forum. there's an article posted somehwre in there about a student at one of my style's schools that was wheelchair bound and recently received his black sash.

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

That would be it, and here's the article:

It's fro the Tri-County Record.com, and for the legal junk, here's the linkie: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14575955&BRD=2149&PAG=461&dept_id=365715&rfi=6

8. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

MasterBob

I have found the following few articles on FightingArts.com that you may find of interest:

http://www.fightingarts.com/content02/wheelchair_tech_1.shtml
    Kurumaisu Jutsu: Wheelchair Techniques
    Part I - The Fast Push From Behind
    By Ronald van de Sandt
    Editor's Note: Part one of this article discusses one common attack against someone seated in a wheelchair: the push from behind. Part Two will discuss a frontal attack.

http://www.fightingarts.com/content02/wheelchair_tech_2.shtml
    Part 2- Choke Or Grabs From The Front
    By Ronald van de Sandt
    Editor's Note: Part 2 of this three part series discusses several common attacks from the front against someone seated in a wheelchair. The first article discussed self-defense responses to a push from behind. Part 3 will discuss several defenses against attacks from the side.

http://www.fightingarts.com/content02/wheelchair_tech_3a.shtml
    Part 3- Attacks From The Side
    By Ronald van de Sandt
    Editor's Note: This is the third article in a three part series. Part 2 discussed several common attacks from the front against someone seated in a wheelchair. Part 1 discussed self-defense responses to a push from behind.

9. MasterBob

MasterBob Valued Member

Melanie:

Thank you for the information. I read the articles and printed copies of them. I will be sharing the information with my new student later this week.

Master Bob Ingersoll