Self Defence for Kids

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by incubus, Mar 6, 2006.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Am checking whether any one knows of any countries where the goverment offers any Self defence classes in state schools for kids ?

I am sure some countries in the East have this .

2. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Indonesia

In Indonesia primary School kids are taught silat.

Cheers,
    KC.

3. incubus

incubus Valued Member

interesting.there's a debate the the moment here in Malta,whether schoolchildren should be taught any MA?
    I am sure even in china,in some parts they are taught some kind of self defence discipline

4. deaddoll

deaddoll New Member

Lots of schools in the UK do actual self defence classes, as an after school option...

5. Hapkido_D

Hapkido_D New Member

Kids Self Defense

Hi,

When my eight year old daughter was backed up against a wall in second grade, she elbowed the boy in the stomach and made him cry to the teacher. I am not proud of her fighting, but I am happy she defends herself. The principal of the school felt the same. She came up with it by herself. IMO, children should be taught how to defend themselves and the resposibility that comes with it.

Later

6. rebecca kane

rebecca kane Valued Member

Arnis has recently become part of the school curriculum in the philippines.

7. ShadowHunter

ShadowHunter Living the Dream

Karate and TKD are usually part of a schools after-school clubs, there is a club in my school called Fu-no-kata for women (I reckon its a Mcdojo club) but anway, in the UK there are many options for children to learn MA's.

8. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

One of my buddies moved to Colorado, and she said her high school offers martial arts as a PE course.

9. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Well done for your daughter to have had the confidence and presence of mind to have acted so quickly. She should be commended. I have a son who is about her age and he is a green belt in TKD-WTF. The choice was his to attend and I tell him that fighting is a last resort only to be used when you have failed, yes failed, at everything else to avoid a confrontation. This may be off the initial thread but one must consider what will be taught to kids (here in the U.S. it had better not resemble any sort of religion so, bowing, using terms such as master or sensi, would bring a lawsuit) and who will teach it. Flutterfist submits:
    This is marvelous as I think, if done properly and with community, parent, and teacher support, it may help turn around the violence in schools and teach children to respect each other. Not to mention adults, property, life, etc. Presently in the U.S. I know of no structured self-defense taught to any student at any public school. I could be wrong but even in my day we were only taught to wrestle and that was part of our P.E. gym grade. Self defense was never taught. You learned by getting your butt whooped, surviving, or running! Remember that there is not a winner in a fight. Just one person that is less damaged then the other. :cool: :Angel:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  10. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Nothing here in Minnesota, which is why we do MA training on our own time...a kid HAS to know, and honestly, I don't think it's really the job of the school, I think it's a parents job.