Seisan

Discussion in 'Karate' started by armanox, Jul 24, 2006.

1. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

My favorite kata. But, I'm curious to know about the other versions of seisan - I have only seem to have found one other person aside from my school and Okinawa that use this version. Your thoughts?

BTW, you can also view the version that we do.
    [​IMG]

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

3. jeffie7

jeffie7 Valued Member

Wow, not a single black belt had any kind of hip movement whatsoever.
    Lets all say it together class. "TAISABAKI"

I've seen many karate schools that teach katas like that, yet they will never teach the application for the kata, I wonder if that school is one of those. hopfully not since Maryland lacks none watered down Karate schools that "do not" teach TKD.

*me* "oh great so you guys teach karate? *them* "hi, yes we do." *me* oh what style," *them* "thai kwan do" *me* "oh well that's great. have a nice day"......

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  4. armanox

Three blackbelts, three greenbelts, poor quality color. Whom were you referencing? Watch the guy nearest to the cameraman, he's the highest ranking individual in the video. I see hip movement.

Also, we teach application with the kata. If you know the kata, w/i a few classes you'll be taught application. I'll also point out that they we do not teach TKD. We teach Kobayashi Shorin Ryu Karatedo, in the same fashion that Takashi Miyagi teaches it in Okinawa. All of the blackbelts in class currently have trained under Miyagi in Okinawa, as well as under Jim Lilley Sensei who trained under Miyagi for years while he was in Okinawa.

I was hoping that someone else recognized the particular version of Seisan and had a little more info on a full name for it. I guess I could have sensei write Miyagi in Okinawa.

Just out of curioisity, your karate style?

5. Pacer_3

Pacer_3 New Member

Our Seisan is a little different. We practice the version taught by Master Fusei Kise. We were taught that the kata originated as a woman protecting her baby worn on her back. She has to use her whole body to defend against the larger male attackers, so every move we do is delivered with lots of force. Ours is similar to that video though.

6. jeffie7

jeffie7 Valued Member

I study koryu uchinadi

It's nice to see another school out there that teaches the applications to their katas.
    Where in Bmore are you?

7. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

thats strange, i've never even seen a kata remotely like that, and normally the katas from each karate style have similarities to each other.

8. armanox

Canton. Directions here

Hence me posting the video for others to see, and starting the thread.

9. edges

edges Valued Member

Interesting indeed!

Here's a mention from wikipedia:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Shotokan Kata: Hangetsu (Half Moon)

Hangetsu originates from the Naha-te school. The first part is slow and strongly respiratory, stressing the development of the hara. This sequence shares a strong similarity with sanchin. The second part of the kata is more dynamic in its execution. Due to the shared principles of expansion and contraction, Gichin Funakoshi substituted hangetsu for sanchin in the Shotokan curriculum. Mastery of this kata rests on mastery of hangetsu-dachi (half-moon stance). The kata consists of 41 movements. The older Okinawan version of this kata is known as Seisan.

Both video clips posted differ from the Wado Ryu version I was taught. In the original post the Seisan stance wasn't used at all, although the rest of the kata was only slightly different.
    The reply post is closer to my own, although we use two types of Seisan stance, this seems to only use one.

In the first section, done under isometric tension will deep stomach breathing, we stand in a very short stance, about a shoulder width and front heel in line with the toes of the rear foot.

The second section is much more flowing with the stance turned sideways (narrow and long)

However it is still clearly the same form.