seeking failure

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Scotty Dog, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Just finishing reading the latest addition to my library and after putting the book down one chapter keeps coming back to my mind

I think it struck home because I'd recently had a couple of humbling weeks. Down at Yodas again being reminded how much I still have to learn. Then getting tapped for the first time at the new club I'm training at.

anyway, what does this mean to you guy's ??????
    do you " seek out failure" in your training, if so how,

or

do you think it's more important for a coach/senior grade to maintain an air of untouchablity in his own club ( not my opinion but I've been to plenty of clubs that do)

or
    do you think I'm latching on to this in a desperate attempt to explain my cr@p performance over the last couple of weeks :D

hig

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I would change the word failure to read "new experience". IMHO failure is just part of the experience just as victory is.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

As an assistant instructor I seek out the other person's failure, and push them as close to it as they can go.

When I'm training I just try to work on things I'm weak in.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yo Hig

You've hit the nail on the head - insecure people seek to demonstrate their strengths & hide their weaknesses in training.

You didn't do anything wrong on your recent visit here - it's just that your game is ready for the next level of detail - and I gave you a glimpse of that level.

It depends in the coach's goal. If his goal is to play some kinda power trip by showing domination over people then that's what he'll do. It's only a matter of time before someone knocks him off his sugar pedestal :D

LOL!

No comment :Angel:

----- What's the book?

5. AndyD

AndyD Valued Member

If you don't fail then you're setting your goals too low. Besides, yo've gotta remember that Yoda's school is one of the good ones - in my opinion better than most of the big names.

As for the instructor having an air of untouchablity. I've trained with instructors who have earned this as they're perfectly willing to let anyone have the chance to get one over on them. I have no time for the ones that think because they have a title they're there to be worshipped.

Andy

6. Scotty Dog

JKD the principles of a complete fighter - ron balicki

good book, still trying to absorb it, the drills section's a bit confusing as all the groundwork stuff seems to be standing thai :confused: ???:confused:

but how do you know what your weak in,
    do you test yourself if so how,
    listen to what other people tell you,
    think "I don't like this I must be weak at it"

hig

7. Scotty Dog

Should have put a smiley face by this, that's one of the reasons I go down there. The way I look at it the day you stop failing is the day you stop learning.

ie you stop failing = you know it already,

hig

8. YODA

((((Blush))))

Titles etc sure do have a lot to answer for - as do other "attachments" that many martial artists hide behind.

So - how's your training going Andy - must be what? 3 or 4 Years since we met? How are things with Pat?

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ummm how many miles from New Delhi is NW England Yoda???if i start walking tomorrow morning 4 am sharp when i'll reach there :)

-TkdWarrior-

10. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'm taking this to mean that you should find the weak points in your own skill set and seek to address them. In which case I think, yes, if self-defence is your goal then you must do this.

If only! If only my students would consider me to be an untouchable master:(

No, I think this untouchability thing does a great dis-service to everybody involved. The students think that once they get to blackbelt they too will become untouchable. The teacher gets lulled into a false sense of security, as no-one can touch him/her. This only serves to massage the teacher's ego. One of the first things I have to do with new students who come from other styles of karate is get them out of the habit of not hitting me. A typical example might go something like:

Me: "OK, now can you punch me in the face".
    Student: "Which hand?"
    Me: "Doesn't matter".
    Student steps back and does a downward block.
    Me: "Why've you stepped back?"
    Student looks slightly confused, and says in a quiet voice "dunno, sensei".
    Me: "OK, just punch me in the face".
    Student draws fist back to the hip.
    Me: "Why've you done that, just hit me in the face".
    Student looks really puzzled now, clearly this new sensei must be quite mad.
    Me: "OK, just stand there and when you're ready, hit me in the face".
    Student throws a straight punch, the arm straightens out and comes to rest about 6 inches short of hitting me.
    Me: "OK, now this time don't punch fresh air, just smack me in the face.
    Student: "What? You want me to hit you? Actually? In the face?"
    Me: "Yes, just hit me in the face"
    Realisation dawns over the student. Finally he understands - I want him to actually smack me one. But after several years of training, it can take a little while for students to unlearn the habit of never quite managing to hit sensei.

Contrast this with a student who's done some boxing:

Me: "OK, now hit me in the face"
    Student: Bang, smacks me in the face.
    Me: "Ouch! Thank you"

Now and again I get hit in training. My students don't consider me to be a demi-god. I think everyone's better off for that. It would be too easy to set things up as a teacher so that you never get hit, but what purpose would that serve?

Mike

11. AndyD

AndyD Valued Member

Hi Hi Dave,

It's being 3 and half years. Things are going great with Pat thanks - I got my certification from him the other week but feel that I've still got so much to learn (no danger of an air of untouchability from me).

Just found this forum the other day (while checking out your site). Figured I'd start posting as everyone seems to want to improve each other rather than promote their club and videos etc or get all het up about Orginal JKD vs Concepts. Politics just aren't my thing. So I hope you don't mind having me round.

Andy

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I think any martial artist that also wants to be a good fighter should seek failure, train at your weaknessess or whatever you call it. If your a realistic person and train at a good club, this shouldn't be hard to do. Might even be done for you! ;)

On the other hand, never stop training on your strengths. In a fight you'll either win because of your strengths or loose because of your weaknesses.

I didn't rate this book too highly, had some good point but I prefered "Jun Fan / JKD Textbook by Chris Kent" as a better all round book :)

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

love the part in the "Jun Fan / JKD Textbook by Chris Kent" where they demonstrate chi sau drills and at the end of one of the sequences C Kent and the other guy turn round and looked as confused as hell. hehehe

14. YODA

Glad your here bud :D

15. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

'a true JKD player seeks out failure. A true JKD player looks for the situation that s/he does not know how to deal with . then when the situation is met, s/he looks for a solution'

What good is it me spelling words that I can already spell over and over again ? Or looking up the meaning of words that I already know ? Is that going to expand my vocabulary or enhance my english is any way ?

To enhance your english and vocabulary, you read books which contain words you don't know, then you look them up.

In the same way, we seek out failure in our training, for example, in side mount, when someone gets their arm tucked in tight to their side, I don't know how to get it out, so I go into north/south. I'm still looking for the solution, or trying to perfect my technique of switching base. Then I will go and look for more faults with my game after I've got the solution(s)! :)

16. YODA

Dig your elbow into their deltoid :D

17. big e

big e New Member

whats the deltoid?

18. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hey e

its your shoulder muscle

19. YODA

Actually it's the insertion of the anterior deltoid. :D

Hey Big E...... http://www.m-w.com

20. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Very nice! I'll try it tommorrow... I hope!