SD class for women

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Freeform, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've assisted in running classes like these for years now, but I'm really interested in how others would structure their classes.

We all know that these things are really just confidence boosters and the only way to really protect yourself is to do regular training, but people will always ask for courses like these.

So I'm giving you 6 classes (one a week) 2 hrs long (about standard for these things), how would you structure them?
    I've got my own thoughts that I'll share later (hell, I might even nick some of yours! ;) ).

Col

Last edited: Feb 5, 2003
  2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hell i m not telling if u stealing my kungfu :D ;)

seriously when it comes to SD my thoughts r
    ~ it should be easily taughtable
    ~ it should be easily understandble
    ~ it should be dealt with complete reality
    ~ women SD class should be taught by/or help by women instructor against Men/Women
    ~ it should talk about understanding of environment/awareness
    ~ it should talk about phylosophical bent of criminal mind
    ~ it should talk about issuing force from the inner core.
    ~ it should be able to call the b!tch inside from the women(Dr. RuthLess, anyone?)
    ~ it should be told frankly that MA is not supposed to teach SD :D

n i can go on n on on this topic... but i m intrested in hearing from Female MAPers
    -TkdWarrior-

3. Freeform

Damn! I was really wanting to nick some of that 'bullet-time' stuff as well. ;)

Female MAPers tell us what you want! (And I'm not talking about Yoda in his tight Lycra wrestling shorts Melanie! ;) )

Col

4. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

First of all make sure at least one class is done where the women wear their everyday street/work clothes complete with jewelry, purses, etc. (OK, we'll pass on the high heels on the dojo floors.) The reason for this is so that these women will understand how the techniques that you are going to teach them will feel in real life and not just in the relaxed workout clothes that they tend to wear in these types of classes.

Emphasize the fact if your glasses fall off, cell phones drop, jewelry breaks, whatever that they should ignore it unless it is going to be used as a weapon or distraction.

Make all techniques simple, efficient, effective but most of all easily remembered under high stress situations. A fancy technique isn't gonna save your butt if you can't remember it.

Make them work to accomplish the techinque. An attacker is not going to passively stand there while something is done to them so let them get the feel of some of the power needed behind their techniques.

Remember everyone has different abilities and disabilities and be prepared to offer an alternative or variation to a certain technique if someone is unable to make a technique work for them.

Trust your gut instincts!

Just my .02

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

In the Stavit SD class for women they have an unusually large portion of the training in beach wear, with a lot of oil and water used. Now this sounds a bit wrong to me, but who am I to argue with a 12th degree, red sash, HND, Stavit master!

I think you’ve got to be realistic in what the women can do, they’ll be smaller/weaker than there attackers. And it’s a basic course, so you can only teach a small number of basic strikes to the attackers vulnerable areas. And on the ground it will be the same with the use of “dirty” tactics or maybe the use of there leg strength to help them get out of there[?]

What is your curriculum for the course Freeform?

6. Jay

Jay New Member

I think a major part of the training should be avoidance - You don't teach a child how to react when they get hit by a car, you teach them where it is safe to cross the road (not one of my quotes).

Keep any techniques simple and nasty :D

You've got to train 'Alive' - otherwise they will be in for one hell of a shock when they meet some resistance.

Suggest that every student read a copy of 'Dead or Alive' by Geoff Thompson - it's a brilliant insight into just how low some people will go, and how the 'low-life' mind works.

Jay

7. r4bid

r4bid New Member

Basic curriculum:
    -teach them a few techniques for chokes and grabs
    -how to throw a punch or a kick wearing restrictive (ie real life) clothing
    -how to use a purse, credit card, shoe as a weapon
    -general safety advice (where not to walk, yelling for help etc...)
    -"sparring" or maybe I should say mugging...

Class breakdown:
    I would say at the begining of every class do 20 minutes of striking practice, just the basic kicks and punches
    Then 20 minutes of chokes and grabs
    Then 20 minutes of moving attacker simulations

For the next hour do the special topic of the week or something like that. Things that come to mind are, multiple attackers, weapons, strange situations.

As you said, make sure they understand that this is not a end all be all martial arts class.

8. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Another good book to recommend is
    "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Not sure about some of these books, Geoff Thompson is very good, but for someone doing a short course he may do more damage to there confidence than good.

Should be giving people more confidence to go out, after reading his stuff I feel too scared to leave the house now! :p

10. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

I've taught a few and basically all I teach is

Common sense (but some people you just can't teach that to) then it's just basic striking techniques, with sparring. They get to beat the crap out of me and really go for, fuel the agression and will to live.

In six weeks there really isn't all that much you can teach them that they will actually ever remember or use. So rightly or wrongly I try to get them to develop their natural fighting instinct, slapping/punching, biting, kneeing, kicking to a better level. That way it's harder to forget.

I find blocks, dis-arms, locks, throws and chokes are all to hard to remember.

11. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

The book "Gift of Fear" reinforces the idea to trust your instincts,
    teaches awareness and what to look out for.

12. Freeform

I see alot of you have very specific ideas in mind, but I see SD classes as a place where 80% of the work is in building confidence and awareness.

Colin

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree FF, "80% of the work is in building confidence and awareness" and out of that mainly confidence, seeing as thats the reason the women are probably there in the first place.

I think its dangerous to try and teach certain techniques. Moves that'll probably not work against a stronger oppononet, especcially without much training!

14. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

What is the definition of confidence?

Is it to stand upto the agreesor?

To be more aware of situations and surrounding?

What we teach someone can be very different depending on our defintions of confidence.

The women I've taught are mainly those who have been abused by their partners. How do you teach these people to be aware of their surrounding when they have the danger of attack right there in their homes.

The stuff they learn should be simple and natural.

The biggest point I get over to them is, if you can get away, get away, if you have to fight, fight with 110% effort, fight to win, loose is not an option, otherwise you may as well give up before you start. That's why I teach them a few basic techniques and get them to take them out on me full bore (I'm full protected ;) ) that way they know what it's like to fight a better and stronger aggressor. Not just some preset ritual where everything is planned.

After all these women aren't learning to win a competition, belt or award. They learning it to look after their lives, both physically and mentally.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Erm.......

Confidence - Self-belief, Self-reliance & Self-assurance.

How you give them that is another thing. I think you’ve got it right with the keep it basic approach Bob.

Giving people a few options so they don’t feel like a helpless victim is a massive confidence booster. Often too effective when you get students thinking their unbeatable after a few months training!

I suppose its wrong to say we teach self confidence, but its an aim of the training.

16. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Lesson No 1

(1) If it dangles - Grab, Twist & Pull. ;)

17. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Seriously though I would agree with spongebobs training method and observations.

I'd bet the ladies love beating the crap outta a guy in full protection. IMO this would be fun and I believe people will remember it better if they enjoy it.

18. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

My Wife's favourite is to dig her thumbnail into the side of the nose. Bloomin hurts I tell ya.

I'd have thought things like upwards palm heel to the jaw or nose would be worthwhile incorporating, along with eye gouging, ear pulling, finger snapping and hands edge to larynx etc.

My concern is that a women who fights back ineffectively is only going to make things worse for herself.

Stop em seeing and stop em breathing.

The Self Confidence and awareness issues have got to be of paramount importance. Not looking like a victim.

Always carrying something they can use as a weapon, be it pepper sprays, personal alarms, keys or a bodkin etc. A little bag of Cayenne pepper kept in the pocket is good.

In the case of domestic violence, the Police should be the first people to call I feel.

I read an article once concerning defence about rape. The idea that stayed with me from that, was that the woman should use the mental trigger that her whole body was on fire, and she should react instantly to beat out the flames.

Good Luck Colin.

19. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

:D good points everyone.

On a different note that Andy Murray raised, about teaching techniques that are, how shall i put it nastier.

Now the first time I ever taught a self defence course I made it really nasty. Problem was the women were a little put off by the thought of putting their finger in someones eye (I'm not to keen on it either ;) ), etc and found the nasty things to not be of their mind set and hence forgot all of it.

This time I keep it simpler and the ones who pick it up well (the nasty women :D ) I show how to adapt the strike to be more effective.

Has anyone else found this, that teaching women (and men) the nastier techniques, unless they are of that frame of mind they either forget it, or dismiss it. Yet teach the to drive their knee into someones face is not a problem. Or may'be that's the sort of people we are here in south west england :D

20. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

well this note has been given by a fellow TKD girl(god Know who?)
    some good points here...
    -TkdWarrior-