scrapper+powerlifting?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by totality, Mar 1, 2004.

1. totality

totality New Member

i'm about 8 weeks out from a fight, with a grappling tournament in 2 weeks, and i was thinking about changing my cardio a bit...

right now i have a push/squat/pull PL routine on monday, wednesday, and friday. my cardio consists of H.I.I.T. running on tuesday, thursday, and sunday. i do grappling on sundays, muay thai on mondays wednesdays, and , and wrestling on tuesdays and thursdays.

now, my question is, could i conceivably replace my roadwork with scrapper's workout 1. http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml

would i still reap benefits from weight training?

2. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Do not replace your roadwork. If you have to change anything it is your weight training routine because you are going to compete. in 2 weeks.

Reduce the intensity of your workouts to the MINIMUM required for improvement. It also more advantageous for you to do workouts specific to the upcoming competition. Reduce your Muay Thai, step up on the grappling and wrestling prractice. Make sure to get sufficient rest before the actual event.

Good Luck!

3. totality

totality New Member

what about replacing my roadwork with 10-20 descending sets of burpees? it's a great muscular endurance workout...although i'm thinking i might just back off on the weights and roadwork for these next two weeks and just do the burpees everyday. possibly cut the muay thai as well.

4. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

No, do not miss out on your roadwork. The roadwork toughens your stamina and develops endurance and power in your legs. Burpees do the same for the upper body mostly. You can add the burpees, but do not do them at the same time of the day as your roadwork (if you run in the morning, do the burpees much later and vice versa).

Remember to choose exercises that are specific to the upcoming contest. Burpees are good because of the obvious strength and endurance benefits. Roadwork, coupled with squats (freeform or weighted) will help in your shoots and your takedowns.

Do not forget to give yourself sufficient rest before the competition.

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Totality, it's a common instinct to want to remodel a program as a fight draws near because "there's always something better that I'm not doing now, right?" Wrong. In the best case scenario, there's not enough time to see appreciable results. In the worst case scenario, months of dedicated training get derailed.

I'd leave your program as is, at least until after the grappling tourney. Then you could revamp the weight-training to include Scrapper. Maybe somthing like: Mon. - Push (w/ squats), Wed. - Pull (w/ deadlifts), Fri. - Scrapper's workout. I see his program as designed more for strength-endurance, so this should be fine.

One thing to keep in mind immediately, though, is to reduce your workout volume as the fights draw even closer. In the 5-6 days before each fight, you'd do well to rest, and not do much more than light, easy cardio, stretching, and basic skill practice.

Stick to your game plan. You know what you're doing. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Get it done, bro. :woo:

6. totality

totality New Member

thank you guys for your advice, i plan to heed it.

7. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

well your 2 weeks away from a tournament i would just leave it for now and then after the tournament change it if necessary. personally right now i think you're doing alot so keep up the good work.