Scout Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi All.... I'm On-Line again! :D

This picture shows what looks like members of the Scout movement practicing singlestick-fighting circa 1930's?

Louie

Attached Files:

2. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Welcome back Louie. Yet another cool post. :D

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

cool picture!

4. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Nice picture...although it does look like a bit of a cheap shot from the boy on the left! :eek:

5. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

The BSA had a "Master At Arms" Merit Badge. You could qualify in Boxing, Quarterstaff, Singlestick, and I don't recall what else. it was phased out quite some time back. The 30's or 40's would be about the right time, iirc.

In India the Scouts there replaced the Quarterstaff with a variant of La Canne de Armes due to the work of a Superintendant of Police named H.G. Lang.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk Lawson

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Indeed. Doesn't seem quite right earning a merit badge for whacking your mate in the cash and prizes.

:)

7. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Oh I dunno, he get's my vote for taking him out of the game, it's worked for me:D and against me too:eek: :cry:

9. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Yes, many thanks to those who made the manual available so that I could transcribe it and to The Exiles for hosting it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk Lawson

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Did not even realise it was you Kirk, even though youre name is at the top of the page., thank you very much indeed.

11. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm just gonna spam this subforum one more time to thank for the recourcefulness of you guys that provide me with nice links to nice historical manuals! Perhaps we should have a thread with links to good (and free) websides with downloadable versions of historical weastern martial manuals?Thanks to you (and to my job that provide me with a printer) :cool:

12. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Holy Cow! There's a TON of them!

www.thehaca.com has a bunch.

I mean, you know, what are you looking for? I've DL'ed manuals on most of the Medieval swords, Bare Knuckle Pugilism, Medieval Knife techs, Cutlas, Military Sabre, various stick methods, Tomahawk, Bayonette, Wrestling, modern military Combatives (WWII & such)...

What I haven't DL'ed because I don't have the interest is most Rapier & Smallsword manuals, and there's a load of them too.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk Lawson

13. spoon

spoon New Member

They are fencing.

14. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Yes. *SINGLESTICK* Fencing.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm after (more) manuals on true zweihender-sparring. (Not Fiore, De Silva, Lichtenauer and Ringek, as I regard theese manuals to be longswordmanuals and not zweihendermanuals.) There are links to some interresting zweihenderstuff on another thread on weapons forum (or was it WMA-forum?), but I like more!!!

16. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Hmmm...

I'm probably the wrong person to ask then. I only have cursory knowledge of that area.

I'll keep my ear to the ground though.

You might also want to ask on a few other forums such as the [Western-Arts] yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/western-arts) or the WMA forum over at Arador Armory (http://www.arador.com/discforums/index.php?showforum=10)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Who the hell is "De Silva"? Or do you mean Silver?

Regards
    Rob