Scottish Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by angacam, Sep 11, 2007.

1. A Man

A Man Valued Member

Take a clamor,.....and bring it down on your opponent with such devastation
    as to eliminate any chance of reprisal.

2. A Man

A Man Valued Member

Clamore

3. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

claymore ... ;)

sorry dude but two handed sword is a WHOLE lot more complicated than that. Anyone who thinks that an over the head, two handed strike like that will kill their opponent 100% stone dead every time is going to look really embarrassed when the next thing he sees in St Peter taking his hand and saying ' that was bl00dy stupid!'
    There are many medieval sword techniques to kill a Buffel (buffalo) who comes at you with a strength only strike. Johannes of Liechtenauer's master strokes (from the 1400's) shows how to wipe the floor with these 'devastating' strikes. And trust me, they work!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Liechtenauer

ps:A two handed sword is not as most people think, a slow, strength orientated, bludgeoning beast but is in the hands of an expert, a fast, technically demanding weapon that operates more like a polearm than a simple sword ... and it only weights 5lbs tops.

4. max Chouinard

max Chouinard Valued Member

I know this is an old thread but I just noticed it got my name in it :D . So yes I'm practicing Ramsay family style of Shillelagh Bata in Quebec city (only two other people practicing for the moment, very occasionaly).

And Louie I don't know if you knew but my article is online, haven't had time to translate it for now (French only, sorry) but I should do it during my holydays when I will, hopefully have more time on my hands :rolleyes: . For the moment I think babel fish is the only option ;). http://scrimicie.smithware.ca/graspe/MChouinard/Article3.html

P.S. I am also struggling with the admin to fix some pictures that aren't showing (most of them actually).

5. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Remaining, that's the key word in that sentence........No there is not.

There are people who revive such things, much in the same manner as there are those who try to revive the Druids and their teachings. However such things can never be accurate and are full of preconceived beliefs about what was and should be included.

6. A Man

A Man Valued Member

wrong

Can they never? Perhaps certain weapons evoke an inherited, almost tactile response. There all only so many ways a human body can move; they've all been figured out before. And when you discover what you are and are not capable of with a any given weapon, you may discover its power, and yours.....all on your own. Its all been discovered before, but can you not flow the same way as those before you?

7. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Narrue...
    As mentioned in my previous posts on this subject and my recent article in 'Martial Arts Illustrated' there are surviving elements of Scottish martial arts 'remaining' and being taught in Scotland TODAY!!!!, the most obvious being traditional wrestling which is still practiced at Highland Games and the art of single-stick which was still being used as a training tool for sabre by the Scottish olympic coach in the 1990's.
    Other less obvious elements can be found in Highland sword dance.

Louie

8. Louie

Irish stick

9. max Chouinard

That is strange, as he said, and showed, very clearly that the front was being used for blocking and on occasion the end. As for the grip, I don't remember if he said that was the 1/3, but he did said that the ferrule had to go past the elbow about an inch. Like you say it depends on the stick you have, but I figure that the 3 and 4 foot sticks being normaly used, you woud have to have a pretty long forearm to be able to grip the exact half of the stick. Here is one of the picture I took of John: http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8963/johnjn7.jpg (love the background :D ). And another one from 1507 in Kilkenny cathedral: http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5905/gisantkg8.jpg

Ah, Wish I didn't lived so far from Ireland.

10. Louie

Hi again Max.... Thanks for the images!!!!
    I do have longish arms :D so I'd estimate my grip would be much further up than where John's got his - judging by the photo. - then again I found my hand position is effected by the weight of the stick-head and where the gnarley nobs are on the side of the stick - there's one where I place my thumb every time!!!!

The main technique I remember with the base of the stick was blocking an attack with the lower half, wrapping the it around the opponents weapon and trapping it between the stick and the forearm!

Was also interested in the dance-like steps - I have seen something similiar in Indonesian Silat. And there was also a Wing Chun guy who used raised knee stepping to protect the groin.

Louie

11. max Chouinard

Interesting, that's a technique I did not knew, or at least don't remember very well (Hopefully I took several notes as my head was so full). If you meet John again, please send me some notes, and my regards to him.